SP Native Dark Ages [WB] - The Dark Ages mod: fall of Calradia - needing help!

Special formations! if possible, should horse archers be able to circle while shooting? and spearmen

• yes, this will improve the use of tactics, and also the historical edge of the game

Votes: 149 83.2%
  • only if every faction has just one very strong formation, which is only effective in groups less tha

Votes: 54 30.2%
  • no, strategy sucks. just run up against each other and bash away.

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

IMANU said:
Northern Mameluke Empire said:
IMANU said:
Northern Mameluke Empire said:
Well well well. Somebody plays EB!

Anyway good idea, I'd DL a Dark Ages mod. A few things though:

Cataphracts would be far more heavily armored than Mamelukes. Cataphracts actually means "Completely Armored", with thick scale armor and barding on their horses.

The "Barbarians" would probably be less armored, but with heavy weapons. Like a Byrnie or lower quality, but a Great Axe/War Cleaver sort of thing.

Calradian/Roman Empire would have fewer Elite Troops, and many, many mercenary/semi-barbarian troops. Think of it like having 10% Legionaries heavily armored and well trained, and the other 90% being regional militia with very low-quality armor, and similar weapons to the Legions.

I hope you do this thing right and make it as fun as possible, good luck!
never played EB. couldn't get it to work. but, being a huge history nutter- I love this era.
i know that the cataphract should be more armoured, but i think it would totally overpower the sarranids, having very good archers, infantry, and also cavalry.

as for the barbarians, i want to portray them in their true historical position, rather than the undedeveloped uncivilized image they have. their equipment should be better of quality than the calradian, even it it were only to keep balance. very good armoured in sense of quality, instead of heaviness of the armour though, if you understand what i mean. having a hard time explaining it in english, kinda :mrgreen:

and what you said about the set up of calradian troops, precisely my idea of what their armies should look like.

I said that cuz you had a pic of some EB II units in one of your posts, just figured you did :razz:.

Even though "Barbarians" didn't actually run around naked with giant warhammers, they didn't exactly wear heavy armor. I wouldn't give them anything above a byrnie honestly, simply because mail was the highest technology they achieved prior to the Middle Ages, and byrnies are lower quality. leather armor would be good as well, definitely more common.

Of course everybody has their super elite heavy troops, but in order to balance out the factions/units in this game its better to have lighter shock infantry for them, with what we agreed on as the Roman army for Calradia.
I see, i was really pissed with EB not getting to work with all the factions in their original language and stuff  :evil:
and exactly, i'd give them not too heavy armour (at least the rhodok barbarians) but the protectional quality should be really, really high. also the looks should tell the player that it is very strong: it should be very,, very shiny :mrgreen:

Wait what? Original language? all the ones I've seen are, there's no reason for them to do some and not others.

I do think however that you over-estimate the quality of personal-made as opposed to mass-produced. due to the lack of machinery, the equipment would all really be home made and sold off to the army. but for barbarians, who have a lesser understanding of smithing technology as well as fewer resources, the quality and quantity would be far lower. hardly what I would call "shiny", or very very high quality. maybe at most medium quality for a few expensive elite troops.

Some Late Roman stuff I made for Sumo Pars.
Spatha
mb6g.jpg
Helm
mb4q.jpg
Armor
captureor.jpg
Alamanni Axe.
allmanaxe2.jpg
Gotta ask them for it though.

I do think however that you over-estimate the quality of personal-made as opposed to mass-produced. due to the lack of machinery, the equipment would all really be home made and sold off to the army. but for barbarians, who have a lesser understanding of smithing technology as well as fewer resources, the quality and quantity would be far lower. hardly what I would call "shiny", or very very high quality. maybe at most medium quality for a few expensive elite troops.

well i based it on the fact that standard low-end roman equipment was red-hot forged, whereas gaulish armour was white-hot forged, hereby cleaning the iron. this difference can be seen to the naked eye- but in a game, exaggeration is key. so, armour of lower quality looks a bit like ordinary dirty iron- and very high quality should be all shineylike :mrgreen:

Gothic Knight said:
Some Late Roman stuff I made for Sumo Pars.
Spatha
mb6g.jpg
Helm
mb4q.jpg
Armor
captureor.jpg
Alamanni Axe.
allmanaxe2.jpg
Gotta ask them for it though.

I love it! i just got to figure out how to get this in the game, because i have lots of models of my own to import as well  :mrgreen:

The Dominator said:
Ye thiking about adding Migration armies? that once a nation get's killed of (lose their last stronghold or activated manually) they migrate in huge peasant armies trying to find a new home?

yes, it is a key element  in this mod  :mrgreen:

a campaign is very open-ended, with entire peoples ending somewhere else from where they started on the map.

Gothic Knight said:
Well, you would have to ask Caprera for permission. Other then that, I could make some models/textures if you give me references.

sweeet^^ thanks !

Hmmm i very much doubt Calradians can migrate they are to proud to live anywere else.  :mrgreen: and Rhodoks i THINK also are a little more limited to if they migrate. but anyone facing Silver Horde lika Malayurg is very much likley to migrate due to the pressure from the eastern Silver horde armies

i don't think they have any choice: they can either face their enemies like the silver horde or any other people looking for a new heimat- or try to settle in another part of calradia (which destabalises the region and makes it more prone to rebel)

I like the way this mod is going. Buut my only question is...is all of this possible or are you guys overthinking a bit. And when the lord takes his ppl and migrates does this mean the city he escaped from will not have a population at all ??

awesome idea for a mod! ill be honest when i first saw it i thought it would be closer to the age of the Carolingian Empire type stuff, but this timeframe is just as good. best of luck!

Brotherblaze said:
I like the way this mod is going. Buut my only question is...is all of this possible or are you guys overthinking a bit. And when the lord takes his ppl and migrates does this mean the city he escaped from will not have a population at all ??

well, it are just ideas. my ideas always turn out not as awesome as they should be- so if i overawesome it, it should turn out just right ! :mrgreen:

raziriel said:
awesome idea for a mod! ill be honest when i first saw it i thought it would be closer to the age of the Carolingian Empire type stuff, but this timeframe is just as good. best of luck!
thanks! i just thought an empire in decline is better for a campaign, to be able to restore the empire in all its glory or just be one to help bring it down. both ways should be pretty neat, right? :smile:

you mean like customly made for the wielder, with alot of love and care put into the design intead of pumped out in factories one size fits all sorta thing?

if that is what you mean then I dont think it would have an effect on quality. since they are both made the same, it's just that one was custom fitted and the other was genericaly designed.

They would be more useful i think however, for weopons you could portray that as making them faster than their mass produced counter parts, or in the case of armor not be so heavy and speed limiting.

basically what I'm trying to say is, a piece of metal is a piece of metal, if it's a shield it's gonna offer as much protection as a shield that is intriciately etched or designed. if it's a weopon, it's gonna cut or smash just as much as a more beautiful version.

I really don't see barbbarian tribes having better quality weopons as a industrial civilisation. Maybe the same but for shure not greater than.
you can feel the difference in quality by even holding it, seriously. but apart from that, just to balance it out, you need the quality versus quantity balance to keep the game playable. just to have the rodok tribes survive longer than 3 days i mean.

What happens when the calradian faction who is so overstretched is at war with everyone with units that have weopons that are outmatched by everyone they're fighting? I mean swadia has trouble in that respect and they have atleast equal quality equipment.

Mrr.Phil said:
I might be able to help buy modifying the castles to look old.
great stuff! i'll be researching some stuff about what kind of fortifications are needed. castles did not really exist yet, at least not in the most parts of the calradian peninsula.

Hawkeye66 said:
What happens when the calradian faction who is so overstretched is at war with everyone with units that have weopons that are outmatched by everyone they're fighting? I mean swadia has trouble in that respect and they have atleast equal quality equipment.
then they need to ally with another faction in order to defeat the strongest at that moment. A similar historical event happened, what we in our country know as the battle of the catalaunian fields. here pagans and christians, romans and german tribes, teamed up against the Hun invaders and made their first major victory against the seemingly untouchable enemy. the calradian empire is supposed to be weak, and has to make consessions before really coming back into the global role the empire plays at the beginning.

Hold on one second. Are we talking about the same game? Military treatise between factions is awsome, but is it possible to add to the game?

Hawkeye66 said:
Hold on one second. Are we talking about the same game? Military treatise between factions is awsome, but is it possible to add to the game?

I've seen it in the diplomacy mod. there were different levels of treaties that could be made between factions. trade agreement, military alliance, etc.

Back
Top Bottom