OSP Code Combat [WB, SP] Order: Volley Fire!

Users who are viewing this thread

Having gotten here by way of Floris and then the video and then cancelling what was going to be a YouTube comment...

I love it! It almost begs for the player character to be issuing audible volley orders: "Stand ready!", "Take aim!", and finally "Loose!" (With verbal orders archers would likely have to wait a good 4 seconds for proper feel, with one second between orders except for two seconds after the loose order. "Stand ready, take aim, loose! ...Stand ready, take aim, loose! ...Stand ready, take aim, loose!") I'd recommend an appropriately British voice actor for proper feel, or at least someone as good at a British accent as Hugh Laurie is at an American one. :wink:

It might be interesting to include a realism setting (likely for Floris exclusively) that forbids the player's troops from engaging in volleys without either an officer troop who performs the commands in the player's stead or the player standing still (possibly still permitted to use weapons) to command the volleys himself. If all officers are lost, troops on volley fire automatically revert to firing at will until the player stands still and begins shouting orders. It might be worthwhile to limit volley fire to a certain verbal range as well.

Hey Caba'drin, is it possible to recreate the fire by rank volley from Empire Total War and implement it to WFaS?

Just a suggestion since it would be awesome to see that happened(if you have the time and decided to do it).

Thanks

Fantastic work. This is very much needed in Singleplayer.

Could there be some way to randomize the fire rate a little bit so everyone doesn't fire at the exact same second? It just seems unrealistic and strange how there is no delay whatsoever between each troop's shot.

Hey Caba'drin. Thanks a lot for your decent script. You are one of here with excellent skills when it comes to scripting.
I use your script for Nova Aetas.

May I have the honour to make a few suggestions for improvement:
- Change some code blocks so the AI will use volleys as well
- Add some sounds ("Soldiers! Ready? Fire!")
- Randomise the fire rate a little bit

Quintillius said:
Hey Caba'drin. Thanks a lot for your decent script. You are one of here with excellent skills when it comes to scripting.
I use your script for Nova Aetas.

May I have the honour to make a few suggestions for improvement:
- Change some code blocks so the AI will use volleys as well
- Add some sounds ("Soldiers! Ready? Fire!")
- Randomise the fire rate a little bit

1. You'll have to write a separate script to make the AI use volley fire properly, at least with formation AI. Even then it's prone to bugginess and exploitation, like the player riding right up to the enemy and hacking them to pieces when they're in scripted mode.

2. Easy enough to do, just attach a sound to a few triggers that fire when the volley key is pressed.

3. I can't think of an efficient or effective way of doing this. I tried it myself but it requires a lot of tiny interval triggers with try_for_agents, which isn't conducive to smooth gameplay.

how to add command volley fire on command bar ? such as: volley fire! or stop volley fire!  :shock:

Can't get this to work.  I'm using mod 12 century.  It doesn't have the constant.py file.  Also, reading above about changing advance formations to = 1 doesn't work too.  The PBOD also doesn't work even though the instructions are easier to find.  It doesn't work for me. 

On the other question, since the video doesn't work, do the troops really volley fire or just fire at my command?  I really want that volley fire, but the code for the volley fire arrows from youtube no longer exisits.

Back
Top Bottom