SP Antiquity [WB] Shadows in the Desert - An Ancient Middle East Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Eurasian Scale Armour, ca. 6th century B.C.
scale-armour.jpg

pre-historic goat's leather gloves and goat's leather pants

ancient_leather_gloves.gif
pre-historic_leather_pants2.jpg

The Priest outfits seem a little limited. I don't think there are many applications for religious NPCs. There's not really a religion mechanic requiring them.

Still have to tweak this. It's Egyptian scale based on the ubiquitous Hittite/Mitanni armor fashions of the time. In this case alternating scales of iron and bronze. Will try and do a helmet to go along with it. Base Model is Llew2's, the helmet & tying bindings on the back & folds in the cloth are kuauik, the scale pattern is mine.

The leftmost was the original concept. The miniatures are the same style (just all bronze) and I may do a version of that (but it'll be for Egyptians, Hittites, and Levantines), as I may also do the far right version of the Mitanni guy which would just be this scale pattern at a larger level on a different base model of kuauik's.

Oh wow looks awesome! The Middle East is my area of study.

Ive always been fascinated by the warfare of the region.

Well done.

Very modest update this time. I am kind of unsure what project to start on next, but I am leaning towards the light armor issue for the Akhaioi, Trojans, Assuwa or Philistines (the latter two are less of an issue, as they will just use lobster corselets of leather). Terminology wise for me light = soft (mostly), medium = metal in use (scales, lamellars, mainly) heavy = either a cuirass or a lot of lamellar and scale. In this case it's what you'd see on the Akhaioi "Kekide", the men-at-arms who follow their higher ups.

Quilted pattern and belt was Kuauik's, helmet is his too. Spear is Lynores (sword if visible is his too), shield is mine. The method of disc and attachment is Lynores. Work in progress because I'd like to get the quilted pattern more raised, I may refer to an earlier quilted pattern I did for Litus. Also speculars and normals for the disc. Big surprise, normalmaps being annoying!  :twisted:

I picked up this concept somewhere on the bronze age center forums: http://z8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_Center/index.php?s=a14ccc0d6cdce615021496801f474ecd&showforum=10 Specific sketch was: http://i.imgur.com/GKYOE.jpg

http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/armour2.htm - Greek Age of bronze doesn't exactly correspond to this, but they do Propose some use of a 'plate' armor hung on leather straps, and the presence of linen or leather corselets stitched or quilted is known.

So while we know linen or leather corselets were used, and pretty sure they were quilted, I cannot testify 100% that a disc armor -exactly- like this was used. It does seem agreed upon that plates strapped to leather were in use, so this isn't an unreasonable jump.

Appreciate the interest mate. At the moment religion is not factored into gameplay - we're focused on other scripting or gameplay stuff. In the far future it's a possibility, though the problem of this period compared to later is that as a generalization it seemed like only the Egyptians and Israelites (and Vedic Indians but we don't have them) were really dogmatic and insular in their faith. Elsewhere there was more of a laissez-faire atmosphere where people took and gave gods and goddesses to eachother. Of course this is also the period particularly of 'patron-theism' (I can't figure out a good actual word for this) where cities had a particular patron god(dess) they really loved - Assur for Assyria, I believe Marduk for Babylon, Apollo (or Poseidon) for the Trojans.

Personally I figure that a loose sense of nationality (more aptly a collective sense of solidarity - "My tribe of Aramaeans" or "Thebes of the Akhaioi" or "My city-state in Mesopotamia") mattered more than faith, so the vanilla method of 'cultures' (Vaegir/swadian/ect in our case Egyptian/Israelite/Akhaioi/ect) works better for infighting. Course, you had a free wheeling atmosphere compared to the crusades era

Sahran said:
Appreciate the interest mate. At the moment religion is not factored into gameplay - we're focused on other scripting or gameplay stuff. In the far future it's a possibility, though the problem of this period compared to later is that as a generalization it seemed like only the Egyptians and Israelites (and Vedic Indians but we don't have them) were really dogmatic and insular in their faith. Elsewhere there was more of a laissez-faire atmosphere where people took and gave gods and goddesses to eachother. Of course this is also the period particularly of 'patron-theism' (I can't figure out a good actual word for this) where cities had a particular patron god(dess) they really loved - Assur for Assyria, I believe Marduk for Babylon, Apollo (or Poseidon) for the Trojans.

Personally I figure that a loose sense of nationality (more aptly a collective sense of solidarity - "My tribe of Aramaeans" or "Thebes of the Akhaioi" or "My city-state in Mesopotamia") mattered more than faith, so the vanilla method of 'cultures' (Vaegir/swadian/ect in our case Egyptian/Israelite/Akhaioi/ect) works better for infighting. Course, you had a free wheeling atmosphere compared to the crusades era

oh ok it still is a genius idea for a mod

It's still a work in progress, the normalmap is giving me trouble like always. You can see the issues with the normalmap making it look grimy and odd lines appearing where they shouldn't.

Peter Connolly gave this concept to Hektor before he claims Achilles armor off Patroclus. In our case I see Hektor wearing either a cuirass or heavier scale dress, this being used by tier 4 to tier 5 troops of the Trojans.  Scale pattern is mine, shield was Kuauik's with a texture edit (WIP), helmet is kuauik's but without a specular or normal yet, tunic was my edit of Kuauik's work to remove the belt, smooth it out and merge the short sleeves of one with another model. Sword is Lynores with my retexture. I thought it would be good to include with armor/item/scene updates descriptions of the rosters of our factions. I would start with the Arzawa League (Trojans) but I came into contact with some books on Luwian terminology so I am going to probably re-haul their custom roster. Instead, we start with the Akhaioi:

The Akhaioi are found in Southern and Central Greece, up to the southernmost part of later day Thessaly (Phthia of Achilles and the Myrmidones likely the most northern), and sprinkled amongst the isles of the Aegean - Crete ruled by the mighty Idomeneus, Rhodes and a smattering of others with some of Cyprus possibly to be held in competition with the Canaanites of the Israelite Kingdom. They are led by Anax Agamemnon of Mykenae, son of Atreus, and feature the wide caste of Iliadic heroes amongst their lords. Telamonian Ajax of Salamis, Odysseus of Ithaca, Nestor of Pylos, Diomedes of Argos, Menelaos of Sparta, and others.

Militarily the inspiration for the Akhaioi is the middle to late period of Mycenaean history as the Iliad seems to, during transition from the old way of fighting (organized and always mounted chariotry noted by Nestor, and the solid phalanx like ranks of spearmen with tall shields) to the new more heroic and barbarous way of fighting (chariotry used simply as a taxi, more men armed in armor and with lighter, personal shields of round or crescent shape). We are hoping to develop a chariotry script but in its absence the Akhaioi will either have cavalry assume the role, or have no cavalry whatsoever. This is less of a concern for them given they are arguably the premiere heavy infantry faction in Shadows in the Desert.

Akhaioi Roster Layout: Work in Progress
Their initial troop is the Psilos, hopefully to gain a more suitably Linear B name in the near future. These are the youths and poorest of men levied into service - more than likely rowers who are raised to fight with what little they have with them - simple hunting bows, slings, perhaps some javelins, daggers and maybe axes. What you expect of men barely prepared for war - no helmets, no armor.

Tier 2 are the Damos, a term which is somewhat debated in application. Some consider it the precursor to "the people" in the later Greek Demos, others see it as simply a collection of landowning men or an analogy of a village. The use we're going with is something of a mix of the two, generally favoring the first cited definition. These are the common farmers, sailors, citizenry amongst the Akhaioi. They can be enlisted as skirmishers with javelin and sidearm, archers with simple bows and simple double-convex bows, or pikemen with tower or figure of 8 shield and long spear. None of them possess armor, but the pikemen are certain to possess simple boars-tusk or bronze helmets while the skirmishers are likely to have some, and the archers may have few if any.

Tier 3 are the Kekide, a term which seems defined as "Men-at-Arms", in this case being the retinue and entourage of semi-professional and professional soldiery for a man of higher station. Here helmets are guaranteed, as armor of some light sort. Currently there are two versions of the Kekide - a spearman continuing the classic tall shield and pike and an infantryman of the new style with lighter shield, long sword and javelins. It's possible the two will be merged into a spearman with sword, spear, and javelin.

Tier 4 are the Equeta, which translates more or less to 'followers', 'knights', and carries a noble quality with it. Some definitions place Patroclus as Achilles' Equeta, or all the heroes of the Iliad as the Equeta of Agamemnon. In our case I thought how all the kings of the Iliad had their own retinues, so that if Nestor and Diomedes were the equeta of Agamemnon then Nestor and Diomedes had their own equeta. Which is what these men are - the lower level of nobility in service to their respective kings. They wear medium armor of scale or even cuirasses of bronze, and fight exclusively in the new fashion with personal shield, sword, and javelin (with spears possible).

Tier 5 are the Promachoi. "Foremost Fighters", men fighting at the vanguard of the army, champions. In theory the major heroes of the Iliad are all Promachoi, but in our case the unit Promachoi are those once or twice named fighters who die a bloody death at the hand of a more important figure. Thus they are heroes above the fray of those nameless commoners slaughtered by the tens of thousands, but not high enough to warrant lordship. They are equipped similar to the Equeta, but with better or heavier cuirasses and an overall superior skill.

From Phthia one will be able to recruit Myrmidones, otherwise exclusively found in Achilles' army. They are a short and compact roster specifically tailored to swordplay and javelineering, being 3 to 4 tiers in total of exclusively melee infantry (javelin and sidearm, maybe spear). They are not "300 level" Superheroes, but they will be easily be the best melee infantry around. The goal would be something like the Nord Huscarls minus the armor-piercing axes (but with armor-piercing javelins!)

As for the cavalry: If we get a chariot script, then you will be able to upgrade Equeta into either Promachoi or Equeta Chariotry. I felt there wasn't a need for Promachoi chariotry because any heroic charioteer is going to be one of the lords. The Akhaioi like the Hittites and other Anatolians appear to have mostly favored the long spear and javelin in chariot warfare - bow depictions do exist in Mycenaean art but they appear rare. Hence the Akhaioi chariot would be a shock weapon.

Roach XI the Magnificent said:
Excellent. So how's the work progressing? As in, how much is done and how much is left to do?

What about getting a hosted forum?

Just another way to ask when it's gonna be released.  :cool:

Why another forum? I think it wouldn't be an official one anyway if there would be a need for something like that.

Back
Top Bottom