SP Antiquity [WB] Shadows in the Desert - An Ancient Middle East Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

ntb_15: Oh hell yes man. That looks awesome.

Kuauik's stuff!

Assyrian Armors!

"Akkadian" bow, what seems to be a favored composite bow of the Egyptians and Assyrians (Which may be the top tier bow for speed and accuracy, while the Scythian bow would be top tier for damage)

Philistines!

Egyptian Mace-Axe (I don't know if we can have a weapon use bludgeoning and slashing as it historically was capable to, so if we cant it'll just be slash damage with bonuses like breaking shields & breaking through blocks

Sahran said:
Egyptian Mace-Axe (I don't know if we can have a weapon use bludgeoning and slashing as it historically was capable to, so if we cant it'll just be slash damage with bonuses like breaking shields & breaking through blocks
Depends how you want it; you could look at spears and give it slashing for swings and blunt for stabs I suppose but you could also make it alternate with x between damage modes.

Also, BEAUTIFUL screenshots. Wow. :grin:

The assyrian armors look badass especially the one with the blue tunic.  :mrgreen:

Sahran said:
kuauik said:
the brown one is better,great work :razz:
Thanks  :razz:, after some more messing with vertex colouring, i think the green looks much better now

mb32.jpg
mb31.jpg

Another variety of palm,
mb33-1.jpg

I think i can make that olive tree as well before i have to leave again. I will send the lods sometime next week  :smile:.

Guys,i just wanna say great idea and work so far! :grin:
I wish you all good luck and i really like your papa lazarou's animations included and honestly they really fit well with your mod. :wink:

And have you planned the sixth faction yet...maybe some European faction though which was quite related to your mod's time-period...maybe a Hellenistic faction or something...anyways good luck!

EDIT:Maybe a Ptolemaic Empire or Seleucid Empire.Ptolemaic Empire was in Africa and Seleucid Empire was a part of Middle East and they were both near area of your factions(Ptolemaic Empire was near Egypt and Seleucid was near Ptolemaic Empire,Armenia,Persia etc)...so these two factions could be useful :smile:

Maybe for first version you could make the chariots as mount.

Then in future versions, you can ask permission for FWW's tank script.

ntb_15 said:
The assyrian armors look badass especially the one with the blue tunic.  :mrgreen:

Sahran said:
kuauik said:
the brown one is better,great work :razz:
Thanks  :razz:, after some more messing with vertex colouring, i think the green looks much better now

mb32.jpg
mb31.jpg

Another variety of palm,
mb33-1.jpg

I think i can make that olive tree as well before i have to leave again. I will send the lods sometime next week  :smile:.

The Green color is perfect, maybe you should do yellowish too :grin:

Seleucids and Ptolemaics aren't possible since they exist in already claimed territory, are out of our chosen date and lack the mythological/heroic angle. We aren't planning on adding a Hellenistic faction (You get hoplite mercs in Egypt), but it's a possibility in the far future.

I'm more personally interested in the possibility of the Uttarapatha Kingdoms of the Western Indus/Afghanistan. Kamboja, Gandhara, and Madra, were seen as 'degraded kshatriya' by the Vedic Aryans and were legendary horse breeders and horsemen which lets us avoid the problem of chariot and elephant preponderance. I would need to verify it but I recall a breakdown of the army in the Mahabharta being 30,000 cavalry, 20,000 infantry, and 30 elephants. Numbers are probably inaccurate but the proportions probably are accurate. They wouldn't be for 1.0, though. And it's annoying how nuanced the phrasing for North-west India/Afghanistan is for the Vedics. They call them Vrishalas (Sudras/low class), Mleccha (Barbarians, but you can't call a faction "Barbarian Kingdoms"0, Daysus (Enemies), Uttarapatha ("Northern Route", yet this has some ancient sources refer to the whole of Northern India, some refer to the Silk road, some refer to Central Asia to the Indus, some refer to North-West India, Kashmir, Pakistan and Afghanistan).

lFPuu.jpg

dEMnl.jpg

0OqMk.jpg

Scythians, we need to hopefully rig or animate the bow so the string pulls back.

And the first of the 6th faction. (Ignore the axe, the cuirass was also used by Philistines). Can you guess it? :smile: Hint is that it won't be who you think of, but someone whose fate was interwoven with who you think of.

eEWvX.jpg

Wr1Bi.jpg

ncplB.jpg

sSZsK.jpg

Thanks Zimke Zlovoljni, few more pics from Kuauik. Babylon is going to correspond on 1.0 to Dhirim, at the center of the map (Right now in Assyrian control). Kinda get the impression of Babylon competing with Egypt for being seen as the 'center of the world' pre Roman-Christendom favoring Jerusalem.

QKyFA.jpg

jmiLT.jpg

3DAiC.jpg

vSQ11.jpg

lklxn.jpg

It's not the 6th faction, but we might consider a smaller, 7th one being Babylon, considering they were in a state of almost constant rebellion against Assyria and while Assyria and to an extent Persia were imitators of Babylon, there's something appealing and iconic about Babylon itself.

Looks great, folks!

@Sahran: 
I think that the changes to the major scripts that I had to make are commented pretty well, except for the vast swathes of stuff I just plain erased (and I didn't get it all, I'm sure- the economy's almost as rabidly fungoid as the strategic AI code).  Feel free to use whatever.  Pity the setting's such that practically none of the art would fit, but them's the breaks.

One idea that could save you a lot of pain if you guys want to roll with the concept of a gameplay driven by some sort of trading travel, is to just bury the existing code and never show the outcomes anywhere in the menus, then write a clean system.  That's a kludge, but the economic sim's not terribly CPU-consuming compared to other stuff, since it's on long timers (which you could make reeeeeeeally long, IIRC the vast majority of it could be practically disabled that way), and it'd be a heck of a lot less work to merely change the menu display of the budget report to reflect a new system. 

For that, I still recommend taking a look at the new_trade_system in module_scripts and elsewhere as a rough guide. That part is absolutely not scary code and won't take more than an hour to grasp, promise.  I just built a static, very simple fake "economy" with strict trade routes.  The only difficult part was dealing with the strategic AI, taxes, Lord incomes, and the host of other crap that attached to it.  But if you went the way outlined above, you'd merely have to comment that junk out and write simpler "spawn here, go there" stuff, which is straightforward and could create an appropriate sense of adventure- if you don't actually need a feudalistic strategic AI, then behead it and use something easy, it'll be less painful than trying to get Taleworlds code to do new tricks, trust me.

Xenoargh: I'm afraid you're speaking smart-scripter-speak to me, so I am left scratching my head and going Qué?  :mrgreen:

I do get a jist of what you're talking about, though. I like the idea of having those economic trade routes and so forth, but I am sure that'll be a concern after 1.0 since anything prior to a new map of Eurasia-Africa would be pointless to flesh out (Being on the fantasy Calradian map). If you're willing when the time comes to worry about campaign map scripting, assuming it doesn't encroach on Ritter's scripting domain, we'd be sure to welcome ya.

Or I can look into the new_trade_system you mention when I'm free, which judging from what's left will be in awhile. :razz:

it'll be less painful than trying to get Taleworlds code to do new tricks

You definetly can trust him on that point.  :wink:

Can't say much more since I haven't looked at that code. I tend to believe in the rest of what xenoargh is telling about as well since it just can't get much worse than the native code. In case you gonna send me just too deep into the mines I wouldn't mind assistance. It would be a thing less to care about. On the other hand if it is that easy, I might easily do the things myself....does this sounds logical?  :mrgreen: I am actually interested in that kind of stuff as I was going on a pretty similar mission and wonder how that code works and since I know about, it I will take a look at it anyway.

Sahran said:
lFPuu.jpg

dEMnl.jpg

0OqMk.jpg

Scythians, we need to hopefully rig or animate the bow so the string pulls back.

And the first of the 6th faction. (Ignore the axe, the cuirass was also used by Philistines). Can you guess it? :smile: Hint is that it won't be who you think of, but someone whose fate was interwoven with who you think of.

eEWvX.jpg

Wr1Bi.jpg

ncplB.jpg

sSZsK.jpg

OH  MY  GOD!!!  :shock:
It's just beautiful! :shock:
I just love the new detail of the archer and his bow and arrow,and papa lazarou's animation too! :grin:

Great job guys. :wink:

P.S:Is the guy on the 6th picture a phalangite or something?

Back
Top Bottom