SP Antiquity [WB] Shadows in the Desert - An Ancient Middle East Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Armors, headdresses, khopesh, Philistine helmet (based off the Aegean Boar tusk helmet), wicker shield + helmets by Kuauik!

Philistine Heavy Infantry
Note: The lighter skinned legs is my fault, I need to change the 'naked' skin tone of faces since some of them are lighter than the ones that match Kuauik's armor's skin tones. They won't use Hoplons (Greek Mercs will).
PRQqo.jpg

Egyptian Headdress
Mi0hQ.jpg

Egyptian Helmet
OMDOi.jpg

Khopesh
QETmO.jpg

Egyptian Scale Armor
5H0tz.jpg

Damn look at those beautiful blades...that's a good historical accuracy.

Great work, once again guys!

Oh, dear God...at last! :grin:

Those egiptian hats and blades and armors and...all, is just perfect!

Team, is there any plan of doing for egiptian nobles more shiny(but not to much) armors? Their rulers really liked to be recognized, i think. I know the egipt isnt alone here but can You do some really elite equip?

I don't really know. Most shiny thing I can think of for the Egyptians is the bulbous war-crown for the Pharoah and variations of the lamellar/scale dress Kuauik did. They seem to like having alternating rows of bronze or iron lamellar followed by lacquered or leather lamellar. I'm not sure what Kuauik's plan is since my domain is more blueprints for rank and file, but I think he might try and go for some kingly/noble armor per faction.

Would you happen to have a concept of what you mean?

Shouldn't those Egyptians be a bit darker?  IIRC, Egypt was more African than Arab in terms of mix at the time, and if you go look at photos of Egyptian fellahin who are in the sun all day, they're quite dark-skinned.  Beware of photos of people who aren't actually outside much.  Just a nit-pick, mind ye- that, and the lack of screens with normalmaps / specular on.

As to history vs. gameplay... meh, if you stick closely to history, what's a player going to do in this period, where being a feudal warlord is fairly ahistorical? 

One idea that might be interesting is to make the core gameplay about trading various stuff along the historical routes of the Med coast and northern Africa- instead of building an ahistorical empire, the player's goal is to make money, which would then allow the player to participate in some of the set-piece events of the era by buying into the armies of the various empires.  Just a thought- it would be more work, but it'd be more interesting than just-another-Warband-mod, and you're more than welcome to port the economy re-write I did for Blood and Steel to your project, to make building static trade routes easier.

Just wanted to pop by and say that this mod looks absolutely fantastic! I also want to throw my support behind the central idea - I like the idea of making a fantasy version of the Middle East with a lot of powerful empires, rather than leaving out a lot of great stuff because of history. History schmistory. Same goes for the map - have a think about making a really interesting map with a lot of good locations to fight over, and make that the goal rather than total accuracy.

Someone mentioned the Sea People before- I think they'd make good mercenaries or even bandit groups along the coast - they have a great look and would make good "sea raider" analogues!

Good work guys.

I guess it is just me that as soon as I hear 'fantasy' I think of orcs.

And yes, although I will repeat this kind of post again and again but again you earned my applause. Very nice works!

And what about my helmets? *g*

Someone mentioned the Sea People before- I think they'd make good mercenaries or even bandit groups along the coast - they have a great look and would make good "sea raider" analogues!
aah you mean those feathered heads,they are already done :wink:

xenoargh said:
Shouldn't those Egyptians be a bit darker?  IIRC, Egypt was more African than Arab in terms of mix at the time, and if you go look at photos of Egyptian fellahin who are in the sun all day, they're quite dark-skinned.  Beware of photos of people who aren't actually outside much.  Just a nit-pick, mind ye- that, and the lack of screens with normalmaps / specular on.

The trickiness in M&B is that you have to tailor the skin tones of armors to match faces, hands, and lower legs. So  a unit has to be all of a specific race or you'll get light faces with dark bodies, or dark faces with light bodies. We might go and make the Egyptians use the darker faces set (Retextured vanilla one and Iyiort's mulatto faces) once all is said and done, we'll see.  :smile:

As to history vs. gameplay... meh, if you stick closely to history, what's a player going to do in this period, where being a feudal warlord is fairly ahistorical? 

One idea that might be interesting is to make the core gameplay about trading various stuff along the historical routes of the Med coast and northern Africa- instead of building an ahistorical empire, the player's goal is to make money, which would then allow the player to participate in some of the set-piece events of the era by buying into the armies of the various empires.  Just a thought- it would be more work, but it'd be more interesting than just-another-Warband-mod, and you're more than welcome to port the economy re-write I did for Blood and Steel to your project, to make building static trade routes easier.

Good point, though interestingly a feudal style of system was established by the Hurri-Mitanni around the middle of the 2nd Millennium BC, with the chariot-nobility known as Maryannu/Maryanna/Marya, being Indo-European for "Youth" or "Hero" but meant defacto to be charioteer. We've appropriated the term in the folks most influenced by the Mitanni organization (Phoenicians/Aramaeans) for the top tier unit, but you're right that elsewhere feudalism wasn't the case normally. Or it was, but not in the M&B, medieval style.

And we might be interested in doing that, though I think after 1.0 since there's too much stuff on my plate to worry about economics at the moment. I'd need to look into (and do want to, just not right now) how to effect that, and appreciate the offer to be able to port your work - pretty sure we'll take you up on it soon enough!

Spongly: Appreciate the interest and support! I agree, and am starting to try and think of a narrative or a 'destabilizing condition' to justify the sense of a heroic epic war engulfing the known world (Since usually you need some sort of event to shake things up for these "Quasi world wars" to occur.). Won't worry about that until much later, though.

Sea People are right now vassals of the Israelites (Philistines), probably will be mercenaries and may be bandits, although right now I've charted out the planned approach to banditry per vanilla faction's replacement. Desert Raiders become Nubians (with some bedouin), Steppe bandits become the Shasu that gave the Levantines so much trouble, Forest bandits (Assyria replacing Swadia) are Aramo-Chaldean rebels that were a frequent headache for Assyria, ect.

=======================================================================================================================

If you guys want to help me out, what I could really use are some naming lists (first names and last names, or an explanation of how naming works) for:

Assyrians
Israelites
Phoenicians
Arameans (Syrians)
Philistines
Egyptians (I have a source http://kememou.com/names.html but it'd save me the trouble of having to decide them myself)
Scythians
Persians (I can find a source, but again, save me trouble of having to decide them myself. This is a low priority since I already have a ton of names from Shahnameh)

That's great Al-Mansur. :smile:

As for the Egyptians, the impression I've got and opinion I hold is they weren't white or black but rather brown. The Egyptians certainly seem to contrast themselves to the Nubians (Depicted in usual african "black" appearance), and the Libyans (oddly pale-as-hell), and Semites (pale with a yellow tint). I recall reading about how the Ancient Egyptians would chop off hands of corpses from a battle when the people 'differed' from them enough in skin tone to be distinguishable - apparently when it was too close to tell in the case of the Libyans(?) they would cut off the Penis, since Libyans were uncut compared to the cut Egyptians (or vice versa). Which doesn't make sense when the famous artwork of the races in Egypt has the Libyans pale as hell and the Egyptians red skinned. 

If you were applying the old fashioned American "one drop rule", then Egyptians weren't white. But neither were Italians, the Irish, the Spanish, and sometimes even the French or Germans.  :razz: But Egyptians wouldn't be 'black' either. But this is discussion for a historical section, so no biggie.

I do recall a picture with a brownish Egyptian, black Nubian, a yellowish fellow and a pale one as well. I thought the yellowish one was the Libyan though.

And about the cutting of hands/penises, I thought they simply cut penises anyway not necessarily of Libyans; I recall a list in a popular 'scientific' magazine around here numbering thousands of dicks in one Pharaoh's collection.

kuauik said:
aah you mean those feathered heads,they are already done :wink:

Cool! Look forwards to seeing them!

Kuauik,
Ingame, the one i sent earlier looked a bit too green compared to the dessert, so i recoloured the leaves to a more brownish one. Which one is better?

Palm_ab2.png
Palm_ab1.png

Brown-one ingame
mb29.jpg

I think i will have time to make another tree today, which one do you want?

Back
Top Bottom