SP Antiquity [WB] Shadows in the Desert - An Ancient Middle East Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimke Zlovoljni said:
Don't know if plausible,I'm just a guy who makes stuff, but: what if you disregard horse collision, and add collision mesh of the horse to the chariot collision?

Hm... That might work. Or produce some funny bugs. But it's worth giving a shot - nice idea!

Where are the horses collisions anyway?

well collision is such algorithm with simple works like a some kind of a case function (or many if values)

it simple looks like a somekind of a function with means
value < coordinate < value2

i guess simple collision like horse has with prop or so is hardcoded in engine (i am not sure 100% with it but guess should be like this at least i don't see the reason why it shouldn't be hardcoded)

but the way you have to seek is something different

like if you remove the horse from your charriot then your charriot without the horse probably will detect collision himself with other props (i cant garante it but if it collision is hardcoded it has to be it in this way)

but when you attach another force like a horse then collision in simple checks just horse (cause it is the basic way what it has to check)

so to solve it i guess you need to make a somekind of algorithm with additional before acting checks or the horse can move or it cant in this direction

another problem with you may find could be that you need to split collision objects in 2 sides probably
the moving things like bots other chariots (breakable props)
and props with wont move like trees walls

why you need it cause simple if you do algorithm with checks or horse can move or it cant and if he meets for example an bot then it simple stops instead of charging it with force

Yes, I am aware of how the algorithm should works. But thanks for the tips anyway. :smile:

The chariots do not have many issues with the rest of the world, but issues arise when interacting with other chariots. All the agents, included other horses will bump into the chariots if they run into them. So a chariot charging in a infantry formation - works fine.

The problem is how the chariots interact with other chariots - both friendly and hostile. Basically they do not take into the whole scheme their new *******(which is the chariot). That especially problematic if they decide to rotate for whatever reason, which will cause the chariots to overlap into each other. That makes a group of chariots charging into an enemy formation - problematic.

I've tried implanting an algorithm that would "push" the chariots away from each other when collision-ed. The problem was that it was very heavy on cpu. The chariot prop moving is already quite heavy on the performance (when there are more of them) as it requires constant scene prop position updating. The extra check if there are other props in the way is probably even more demanding. So i decide to go an easier way instead - make them skirmish and keep there distance from each other. It's not perfect, but it works decent enough.

I imagine, if player side chariots will be implanted, more problems with the collision would arise.

If you want to go more technical in this discussion, rgcotl, feel free to pm me. :smile:

Maybe implementing something like the BOIDS flockig rules might improve group chariot behaviour?

'Bout time someone is doing this era. If I could mod I would've made it ages ago. I'm impressed and now I can't wait but I have to. Good luck. I'm gonna end up playing the **** out of this mod.

DrTomas said:
Zimke Zlovoljni said:
Don't know if plausible,I'm just a guy who makes stuff, but: what if you disregard horse collision, and add collision mesh of the horse to the chariot collision?

Hm... That might work. Or produce some funny bugs. But it's worth giving a shot - nice idea!

Where are the horses collisions anyway?
There are none, horses use hitboxes. But making a simple collision mesh for horse body and head  would do the job.
-That horse collision part would be best made if without legs - to avoid hitting small collision lying on  the ground and stopping chariots.
-Or.. horse legs could be considered as sepparate collision object and would use wheels coding. Legs mesh would be invisible, just to have some name to assign to the code mesh part, and legs collision would be simple and designed as wheels (aka vertex animated), (hope you understand what I want to say, even I kinda lost myself ??)

Of course I would ditch that chariot part of the job for first release, and keep the goal real, having stabile mod that can be upgraded further on while there still is a will for work, you know, having priority list.  :smile:

Comrade Temuzu said:
So, which one of you was it on /v/? :razz:

I've been had! Yeah it's me, I always love to talk about the bronze age period on /v/ or /tg/.

Zimke - that's always a possibility, using regular cavalry as a placeholder. We'll see if we need to.

Temuzu: http://age-of-bronze.com/ - as I warned in the topic it takes until book 26 to get to the action and there's only 31 books. However I am a big fan of the author's aesthetics as the Achaean and trojan designs are really helpful for visual inspirations but are also grounded more or less in reality.

Quidam: We appreciate it! That's some really interesting stuff, particularly so the cavalryman having what looks like the Achaemeneid 'proto-cataphract armor' as well as the round shield face with the bull on it.

Soon next year (2013). Always hard to give a date but we all are working hard on it and its closer and closer to playability. Sorry for a noncommital answer but that's always a hard question for modders to answer until they are so close to a release they can say with definitive certainty.

Please answer the question whether there were plans to develop animated drummers, timpani, military musicians with live horns and bearers, horse-bearers?

newkingdomegypt05ar3.jpg
SRAhM.jpg

Nope! No plans. And once all the holiday/seasonal stuff is passed I'll be right back to work. :smile: Uploading the great sigs you did falx to the front page.

I wish you great perfection in the new year, I'll be happy to help and assist in the development of this grand mod. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom