SP Antiquity [WB] Shadows in the Desert - An Ancient Middle East Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

what's with the dudes facing the other way on the wall in that last pic.. something scarry must have snack up behind.
that guy looks like he's facing a Godzilla!

King Alastair said:
Mmmmmmm nice.

That's really beautiful, but can you give us the approximate percentage of how much is finished, and a few new pics perhaps (of Babylon especially if possible)?

Right now the process is more in statistical stuff than visual. There should be some more visual stuff in the near future, though.

Percentage wise, I am not sure. I'd say we're well over the hump of 50%, maybe close to 75%. Also thanks Matmohair1. :smile:

Sahran said:
Right now the process is more in statistical stuff than visual. There should be some more visual stuff in the near future, though.

Percentage wise, I am not sure. I'd say we're well over the hump of 50%, maybe close to 75%. Also thanks Matmohair1. :smile:

You guys have been busy! I feared that the mod was dead.

Keep up with the good work :smile:

Great news! You made my day. :grin:

Love it!

Judging from Sahran's information that you guys are close to 75% we can hope it will be downloadable on holidays? As a holiday present?  :grin:

Brilliant looking mod!!  Was just wondering how the chariots work, are they a spawned scene prop which is attached to the horse or are they part of the horse mesh?

Iv been thinking about both of these options and as far as i can see neither of these will produce a collision mesh - meaning the player would be able to pass right through the chariot. Is this the case or have you come up with some amazing piece of code to get around it?  :grin:

La Grandmaster said:
Brilliant looking mod!!  Was just wondering how the chariots work, are they a spawned scene prop which is attached to the horse or are they part of the horse mesh?

Iv been thinking about both of these options and as far as i can see neither of these will produce a collision mesh - meaning the player would be able to pass right through the chariot. Is this the case or have you come up with some amazing piece of code to get around it?  :grin:
the chariots are fully functional :wink:

kuauik said:
La Grandmaster said:

will the chariots have the abilty too cut enemys from the side with wheel blades ? or can it be more than one man at it at the same time ?

La Grandmaster said:
kuauik said:

Was hoping so  :grin: 
Will the code ever be released as OSP? would be really useful for so many mods

here is one OPS charriot code right now

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,250019.0.html

but as i much i tested it looks quite difficult to control it

Yes, I planed to add dunde's code to our mod for player chariots as well. Never got time to sit down and integrate it with our current chariot scripts. So right now, only AI have the chariots. However, players can jump on and enjoy ride on one.

And as well as dunde, we have the collision problem. We managed to overcome them with the AI behavior - they avoid making collision situations. Which means they are mainly archers/skirmishers and will not go in a rampage charge into the enemy battle-lines. They use a modified version of my horse archer scripts from 1257ad. This is not 100% collision free method, but it's good enough to be playable.

well dundes collision problem is that when horse goes it has its own collision and checking only that one
so when chart hitting not a bot or not a player then simple here is no collision check (cause props automatically wont checking how they hit other props in the game)

DrTomas said:
Which means they are mainly archers/skirmishers and will not go in a rampage charge into the enemy battle-lines
Correct me if i'm wrong but weren't Assyrian chariots used in a full contact role to break up the enemy battleline?

dinnerdog2zero said:
DrTomas said:
Which means they are mainly archers/skirmishers and will not go in a rampage charge into the enemy battle-lines
Correct me if i'm wrong but weren't Assyrian chariots used in a full contact role to break up the enemy battleline?

More or less, I believe. There was a general trend of increasingly heavier chariotry from around the fall of the bronze age (1200-1100 BC) onward. Part of the reason was you had a greater presence of cavalry able to assume earlier tasks of chariotry (Scouting, skirmishing, screening) and so chariots could specialize. Prior to that in my view there was a variety in the styles from Egyptian (Extremely light and very nimble due to rear-axis) to Canaanite/Mitanni (Middle of the road) to Hittite/Aegean (Very heavy, very shock action). Unfortunately it'd be madness to try and script in such diversity in chariot practice. I'd suppose maybe you could classify the shock chariotry not as horse archers (so they don't use tomas' script), however it'd introduce the collision problem again. Hittites and Aegeans will have javelins (BILLIONS OF THEM) instead of bows. There's some debate as to if it's even physically possible to thrust a lance from chariot-back as some suggest the Anatolians/Aegeans did. I'm more partial to the idea but I am not sure how it'll work ingame so odds are it'll be javelins.

So at the end of the day we're better off having all chariots 'skirmish' via Tomas' script, and simply provide the heavier chariotry with better horses. I think a greater charge rating means a greater chance of pushing past infantry (instead of stopping) so that should allow them to barrel through if it comes to it.

dinnerdog2zero said:
DrTomas said:
Dunno. I just code things.

rgcotl said:
well dundes collision problem is that when horse goes it has its own collision and checking only that one
so when chart hitting not a bot or not a player then simple here is no collision check (cause props automatically wont checking how they hit other props in the game)
Yep, same problem. Which means that several chariots in one group can clip with other chariots and cause funny things to happen.

Sahran said:
More or less, I believe. There was a general trend of increasingly heavier chariotry from around the fall of the bronze age (1200-1100 BC) onward. Part of the reason was you had a greater presence of cavalry able to assume earlier tasks of chariotry (Scouting, skirmishing, screening) and so chariots could specialize. Prior to that in my view there was a variety in the styles from Egyptian (Extremely light and very nimble due to rear-axis) to Canaanite/Mitanni (Middle of the road) to Hittite/Aegean (Very heavy, very shock action). Unfortunately it'd be madness to try and script in such diversity in chariot practice. I'd suppose maybe you could classify the shock chariotry not as horse archers (so they don't use tomas' script), however it'd introduce the collision problem again. Hittites and Aegeans will have javelins (BILLIONS OF THEM) instead of bows. There's some debate as to if it's even physically possible to thrust a lance from chariot-back as some suggest the Anatolians/Aegeans did. I'm more partial to the idea but I am not sure how it'll work ingame so odds are it'll be javelins.

So at the end of the day we're better off having all chariots 'skirmish' via Tomas' script, and simply provide the heavier chariotry with better horses. I think a greater charge rating means a greater chance of pushing past infantry (instead of stopping) so that should allow them to barrel through if it comes to it.
Thanks for the reply.

Don't know if plausible,I'm just a guy who makes stuff, but: what if you disregard horse collision, and add collision mesh of the horse to the chariot collision?

Back
Top Bottom