SP Antiquity [WB] Shadows in the Desert - An Ancient Middle East Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Ritter Dummbatz

Grandmaster Knight
Haha, damn. :razz: That wouldn't have happened if we would have had this discussion in my language. I guess I have to wait for a chance to pay back.  :cool:
 

Arrakhis

Knight
WB
btw I just realised u use 'David the prophet', arent the jews/arabs bans or not allow if the phrophet was animated?
 

Sahran

Grandmaster Knight
At least for Judaism David wasn't a prophet, he was a King - Samuel was the Prophet. Seems on a cursory glance to be different for Muslims who consider David a prophet.

I don't see it being an issue for Muslims save the most conservative who wouldn't be playing Mount and Blade anyhoo. The application of that prohibition varies, too. I was reading about the film The Messenger and it said anyone really associated with Muhammad (Ali, his wives and daughters and the Rashidun Caliphs) aren't depictable, yet I've seen plenty of period Islamic art showing Ali or even the prophet unveiled. Exception to the rule, of course. But my impression is if someone takes issue with King/prophet david being depicted, they would probably be against depicting any human figures.

And it turns out an Iranian film producer has already done a film of the Prophet Solomon. Since that's safe for the Islamic Republic of Iran I am pretty sure we'll be safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingdom_of_Solomon_%28film%29

And they give someone in the film mail. So much for accuracy.  :razz: If anyone can speak Farsi and can track down where to get the soundtrack for it, I would appreciate the help.
 

Arrakhis

Knight
WB
ok thx for the info, btw the David we talking is 'Daud' in hebrew/arab perhaps, the one that slain Goliath, right?

Are you gonna use his hebrew name or english name, I would reccomend use herbew name for education purpose  :grin:
 

Sahran

Grandmaster Knight
Yeah it's the King David who slew Goliath. I don't know enough of Biblical history to set a specific period of his reign but it'd be after he's subdued the Aramaeans and Philistines and entered into an alliance with Phoenicia.

Feragorn did the Israelite & Vassal names, so he can clarify if they are Hebrew or English. Right now I'm too busy with everyone else's names to really worry about making it authentic Hebrew, but if someone wants to after 1.0 and make them accurate to the language of the time they can go ahead with it.

On the topic, Feragorn - Jews are referred to as Israelites (both North and South) at this point? So the Jewish tier 2 spearmen would be "Israelite Ish Milchamah", or did they have another way of referring to themselves?
 

Arrakhis

Knight
WB
Sahran said:
Yeah it's the King David who slew Goliath. I don't know enough of Biblical history to set a specific period of his reign but it'd be after he's subdued the Aramaeans and Philistines and entered into an alliance with Phoenicia.

Feragorn did the Israelite & Vassal names, so he can clarify if they are Hebrew or English. Right now I'm too busy with everyone else's names to really worry about making it authentic Hebrew, but if someone wants to after 1.0 and make them accurate to the language of the time they can go ahead with it.

On the topic, Feragorn - Jews are referred to as Israelites (both North and South) at this point? So the Jewish tier 2 spearmen would be "Israelite ********", or did they have another way of referring to themselves?
AHH SPOILER!!  :shock:
ahh dun spoil it yet plzz

I cant wait to see and play ur mod anyway, I am really hope u luck with that, btw about 'elephant(or camels perhaps)' thing are u gonna involve them? I know some other mod created some other type of mount, do u think camel/elephan are used? since I seen Persian  :mrgreen:
 

Sahran

Grandmaster Knight
I don't know of any OSP elephants, we might consider the Camel OSP though it'd just be used by Bedouin & aramaeans.
 

Demonwolf

Knight
Sahran said:
I don't know of any OSP elephants, we might consider the Camel OSP though it'd just be used by Bedouin & aramaeans.

Ask WilliamBerne for elephants. Or you could go to DarthSpasti; he made a better one, with turrets and such.
 

Sahran

Grandmaster Knight
Well if the turrets could be manned, that'd be great if we go with the Aryavarti in 2.0. Though the issue of chariots kind of precludes any meaningful India.
 

Sayd Ûthman

Grandmaster Knight
WB
Sahran said:
Aspis model and texture is credited to Lynores (Some of the helmets are also retextured, modified, or uv edited from his stuff. Not all of them, but we've got his thanks and permission. Just wanted to make sure to mention that and Llew2's base torsos or trouser models being edited and used in a lot of our stuff, so we give them proper credit).

Nubians. Will be mercenaries and bandits, could consider making them AOR in the furthest south part of Egypt but I don't think so. They look really dark but that's due to the lighting of the screenshot. :smile:
Please, can you tell me wich rigging have you used for the skirts ?? because all rigging i tries makes the body "ass" clip's.
 

Sahran

Grandmaster Knight
Kuauik can answer that.

And I'd like to reiterate if anyone can do a chariot script for us, we'd love it and need it and be in your debt. Seriously, reading about chariotry by proximity to other info has me thinking I'll donate monies for a goddamn chariot script  :mad:
 

kuauik

Baron
WB
Sayd Ûthman said:
Sahran said:
Aspis model and texture is credited to Lynores (Some of the helmets are also retextured, modified, or uv edited from his stuff. Not all of them, but we've got his thanks and permission. Just wanted to make sure to mention that and Llew2's base torsos or trouser models being edited and used in a lot of our stuff, so we give them proper credit).

Nubians. Will be mercenaries and bandits, could consider making them AOR in the furthest south part of Egypt but I don't think so. They look really dark but that's due to the lighting of the screenshot. :smile:
Please, can you tell me wich rigging have you used for the skirts ?? because all rigging i tries makes the body "ass" clip's.
shirt_a
 

Ritter Dummbatz

Grandmaster Knight
Kuauik give Sahran some work. Seems like he got stuck.  :razz:
I got stuck on the picture of chariots driving upwards steep mountains.  :shock:
 

Feragorn

Marquis
M&BWBNW
Arrakhis said:
ok thx for the info, btw the David we talking is 'Daud' in hebrew/arab perhaps, the one that slain Goliath, right?

Are you gonna use his hebrew name or english name, I would reccomend use herbew name for education purpose  :grin:

Hebrew for David is David.

Your argument is invalid. Arabic is Dawud.
Sahran said:
Yeah it's the King David who slew Goliath. I don't know enough of Biblical history to set a specific period of his reign but it'd be after he's subdued the Aramaeans and Philistines and entered into an alliance with Phoenicia.

Feragorn did the Israelite & Vassal names, so he can clarify if they are Hebrew or English. Right now I'm too busy with everyone else's names to really worry about making it authentic Hebrew, but if someone wants to after 1.0 and make them accurate to the language of the time they can go ahead with it.

On the topic, Feragorn - Jews are referred to as Israelites (both North and South) at this point? So the Jewish tier 2 spearmen would be "Israelite Ish Milchamah", or did they have another way of referring to themselves?

David and Solomon are pre-schism, so it'd either be Israelite Ish Milchama (for one troop) or you might want to assign tribal designations. (Benjaminite archers, Judahite Spearmen, something like that.)

PM me for more discussion.
 

Sahran

Grandmaster Knight
Ritter Dummbatz said:
Kuauik give Sahran some work. Seems like he got stuck.  :razz:
I got stuck on the picture of chariots driving upwards steep mountains.  :shock:

Haha I have work, it's the problem - it sucks. Having to chart out towns and NPCs and such. God help me when I get to the creating NPCs. On the bright side doing it in python seems like it'll be hard then get easier, rather than via the text file which is easy but laborious and long.

Feragorn: I think I'd want to go with Israelite _________ then. Tribal desginations would be nice if things were neat and tidy, where 'all spearmen' belonged to group X and all slingers to group Y and so on. And from what I've gathered you have variations on a tribe by tribe basis (Some specialize in sword and board, some in spear, some in sling, some in this or that) so there's no neat and tidy summarizing group, like "Luwian" or Neo-Hittite can be for Lycians/Carians/Lydians.
 

Feragorn

Marquis
M&BWBNW
Yep. Tribal variations were used, but generally for elite troops. Basic tribal levies could just be Israelite ___ though.
 
Top Bottom