SP Antiquity [WB] Shadows in the Desert - An Ancient Middle East Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Sort of. Since you're the only one who was willing to guess, I'll spill the beans. :razz:

6th Faction is the Trojan League/Trojan Alliance. It'll be split 3 ways between the Trojans, their Thracian and Neo-Hittite allies. The former are modeled after the Greeks/Aegean circa 12th century to 7th century aesthetically, but primarily the Greek Dark Ages or Archaic Age militarily. By that I mean it's more like the warfare of Homer's time in being a mixture of cohesive, proto-hoplite warfare between phalanxes and the tribal/'barbarous' element of individual warfare. So you'll have hoplites but they'll wield boeotian (violin) or the 'upside down pelte' shields along with or instead of aspises, and they might be mixed in amongst more irregular footsoldiers along with archers/skirmishers/horsemen. The exact nature of the "hoplite to irregular" split, along with the fine details of all the Trojan League units are still up in the air. Thracians will be principally light foot with more plentiful horse, without any hoplites but with peltast types instead. Neo-Hittites aren't codified yet but they'll in general be "Oriental-Hellenes" and favor archery and more plentiful cavalry with limited heavy foot.

Nice Stuff ! this scythian bow seems to be accurate at my eyes. but why do you don't copy the frame of an existing bow (short bow for example)  so that the string will move.

Sayd Ûthman said:
Nice Stuff ! this scythian bow seems to be accurate at my eyes. but why do you don't copy the frame of an existing bow (short bow for example)  so that the string will move.
hh thats very very simple...i forgot :mrgreen:

Sahran said:
Sort of. Since you're the only one who was willing to guess, I'll spill the beans. :razz:

6th Faction is the Trojan League/Trojan Alliance. It'll be split 3 ways between the Trojans, their Thracian and Neo-Hittite allies. The former are modeled after the Greeks/Aegean circa 12th century to 7th century aesthetically, but primarily the Greek Dark Ages or Archaic Age militarily. By that I mean it's more like the warfare of Homer's time in being a mixture of cohesive, proto-hoplite warfare between phalanxes and the tribal/'barbarous' element of individual warfare. So you'll have hoplites but they'll wield boeotian (violin) or the 'upside down pelte' shields along with or instead of aspises, and they might be mixed in amongst more irregular footsoldiers along with archers/skirmishers/horsemen. The exact nature of the "hoplite to irregular" split, along with the fine details of all the Trojan League units are still up in the air. Thracians will be principally light foot with more plentiful horse, without any hoplites but with peltast types instead. Neo-Hittites aren't codified yet but they'll in general be "Oriental-Hellenes" and favor archery and more plentiful cavalry with limited heavy foot.

Thanks for the answer and info as well...this is going to be so cool! :grin:
Good luck. :wink:

Neo-Hittites & Thracians!

mAzjD.jpg

eYyAS.jpg

kS6Z0.jpg

lHpwv.jpg

TmWV5.jpg

Gn7Vh.jpg

oy0F2.jpg

09RJb.jpg

xGnxW.jpg

There might be a blend or mix between the distinct Neo-Hittite AOR & nobles and distinct Thracian roster and nobles, since apparently various "Thracians" (Paeonians and Cicones) may have had Phrygian origins. Probably the main difference is that Thracians will have better melee/javelin troops and Neo-Hittites better bow and cavalry.

The accounts I glanced up from the Illiad is that Phrygia was noted as a land of horses and horsemen, the Paeonians were of the curved bow (but also have spearmen attributed to them, and one of their leaders is famous for being ambidexterous and capable of throwing 2 javelins at once), and the Cicones of the spear.

Sahran said:
Neo-Hittites & Thracians!

mAzjD.jpg

eYyAS.jpg

kS6Z0.jpg

lHpwv.jpg

TmWV5.jpg

Gn7Vh.jpg

oy0F2.jpg

09RJb.jpg

xGnxW.jpg

There might be a blend or mix between the distinct Neo-Hittite AOR & nobles and distinct Thracian roster and nobles, since apparently various "Thracians" (Paeonians and Cicones) may have had Phrygian origins. Probably the main difference is that Thracians will have better melee/javelin troops and Neo-Hittites better bow and cavalry.

The accounts I glanced up from the Illiad is that Phrygia was noted as a land of horses and horsemen, the Paeonians were of the curved bow (but also have spearmen attributed to them, and one of their leaders is famous for being ambidexterous and capable of throwing 2 javelins at once), and the Cicones of the spear.

AWESOME!!!  :shock:
Keep up great work. :grin:

Demonwolf said:
Will they have rhompaias?

I dunno. I don't think so since while we're going for a mythological war/legendry heroic angle the only thing Thracians are attributed to in the Illiad is horsemanship, spearmanship, archery, and light infantry. If they don't get Rhompaxes, they'd probably get machiaras/falcatas/bronze age or early iron age longswords so they can be nasty in melee over short sworded + spear troops. In the case of the former (Bronze age longswords) presumably made of iron, although I read an interesting site that claimed up to 700 BC bronze was still the superior metalurgy and Iron was only just coming out a nascent 'amateur hour' it'd held since its arrival.

Aspis model and texture is credited to Lynores (Some of the helmets are also retextured, modified, or uv edited from his stuff. Not all of them, but we've got his thanks and permission. Just wanted to make sure to mention that and Llew2's base torsos or trouser models being edited and used in a lot of our stuff, so we give them proper credit).

WaF45.jpg

Trojans and Neo-Hittites.

27GMs.jpg

Persian or Neo-Hittite.

ybG1R.jpg

Pharoah!

P7P7k.jpg

ln34F.jpg

Median, Persian, or Babylonian.

2ZdEl.jpg

R6BuH.jpg

hbxVC.jpg

Nubians. Will be mercenaries and bandits, could consider making them AOR in the furthest south part of Egypt but I don't think so. They look really dark but that's due to the lighting of the screenshot. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom