[WB] [S] Twilight of The Sun King (Old Topic. Enjoy as a historical archive.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auldman said:
Thanks! That's quite impressive! I might have you test a version down the road, when we get a more stable and complete version together, so we can get your feedback. CR and I are heavily into this area and we each have our own expertise. She's very expert in weapons and their development plus economy where my interest is more in the history of the leadership both diplomatic and military. I have to say my knowledge is more towards the War of The Spanish Succession side of things and the Great Northern War is something I've only recently gotten my teeth into. I think we did a good job on the research into the uniforms and regiments and we did use some e-books we found on line for the Swedish and Russian armies (as well as some things we got on Poland and Saxony as wells as the Danes). But I'll consider letting you have a look at it later. Right now as CR explains above we have to get the mod back into the shape it was before the patches were released on us.

Thank you, I'd love to have a look at it whenever you'd want me to. I tend to have a deeper understanding in the military organisation of the armies of the time (for obvious reasons my knowledge is at its greatest concerning the Swedish Army) - So weapon ballistics, formations, battlefield tactics (importance of music and colours etc), I also enjoy studying the mind set of the soldiers of the time (What they felt and thought, Studying the Swedish army from this time is very giving in this sense since the Swedish army had such a high rate of literacy in the ranks, more so perhaps than any other army in the world - diaries and letters from the common soldier were common).

Nypifisel said:
Thank you, I'd love to have a look at it whenever you'd want me to. I tend to have a deeper understanding in the military organisation of the armies of the time (for obvious reasons my knowledge is at its greatest concerning the Swedish Army) - So weapon ballistics, formations, battlefield tactics (importance of music and colours etc), I also enjoy studying the mind set of the soldiers of the time (What they felt and thought, Studying the Swedish army from this time is very giving in this sense since the Swedish army had such a high rate of literacy in the ranks, more so perhaps than any other army in the world - diaries and letters from the common soldier were common).

Excellent! If you look on the front page under "Images" and scroll down you'll find some images of the Swedish and Russian regiments that are in the mod.

Super belatedly celebration for your recovery Celestialred, glad to have you back!

And can't wait for this mod, L'aigle and Twilight are going to enrich the M&B:W community with some vivid as can be early modern warfare.

Super belatedly celebration for your recovery Celestialred, glad to have you back!
And can't wait for this mod, L'aigle and Twilight are going to enrich the M&B:W community with some vivid as can be early modern warfare.

This is what I was thinking about but forgot! Thank you sir for saying it before me!!!

Also to CR: Thank you for your reply. Just can't wait for the release of this mod! (Not asking for an specific date.)

Auldman said:
Excellent! If you look on the front page under "Images" and scroll down you'll find some images of the Swedish and Russian regiments that are in the mod.

Yeah looks great so far, if you want I can get you a reference picture of ALL the regiments colours, both Russian and Swedish (If I just can remember where I put it and you don't yet got this information)

I was wondering, how much fidelity will there be in each warband - that is to say, will there be pikemen mixed in with the fusiliers; will there be NCOs and officers with different polearms; will there be musicians and colour-bearers (we've already seen these in part)? Will all of these things be replicated for each regiment portrayed?

And a related set of questions: how large will the AI lords' parties be? Company-strength, battalion-strength, a full regiment? Will a single lord command a mix of infantry and cavalry or will there be separate lords for these things?

PS. I was looking at the Russian uniforms you have posted, and they look pretty good. Nice detail on the Semenovsky rankers wearing the gold-trimmed hats and blue coats. I'd like to see a cliche officer with the tri-coloured sash and plume-trimmed hat thrown in at some point, but it's a minor indulgence. Maybe some cravats tried in bows (with the loops showing over-top of the coat) too. I wonder if the mod will have toggle-able plug-bayonets...
Do I sound excited?

Hello from Greece you guys!

I have a long time to see what's goin' on with the mod... but today, as far as I can see.... you guys... are SICK! xS YOU took the module development to the next level!!! You got my eternal RESPECT for what you do here! You are unbelievable... EVERY ONE !!! \,,/

So.... my ONLY question is: When you think it will be ready to be downloaded?
I remember the prob that was back in May... but I suppose now you work hard about it! :wink:

Keep it up every one! :grin: \,,/

dominusiesus said:
Hello from Greece you guys!

I have a long time to see what's goin' on with the mod... but today, as far as I can see.... you guys... are SICK! xS YOU took the module development to the next level!!! You got my eternal RESPECT for what you do here! You are unbelievable... EVERY ONE !!! \,,/

So.... my ONLY question is: When you think it will be ready to be downloaded?
I remember the prob that was back in May... but I suppose now you work hard about it! :wink:

Keep it up every one! :grin: \,,/

Hi there!  :grin: I cannot promise an exact date. I won't ever do that. It's done when it is done. We're swinging back into action slowly. I think the coding is going to go faster now than it has been but we still have a lot of scenes work to do. Would you like to learn how to do that? If I made an educated guess on when the earliest release could come I would say this Fall and hopefully early Fall. I think we'd like to see a lot of good stuff put in for combat and most of the scenes done for the major powers. But we'll discuss where we're at in the team. Thanks for your support! Good to see you again!

Bluehawk said:
I was wondering, how much fidelity will there be in each warband - that is to say, will there be pikemen mixed in with the fusiliers; will there be NCOs and officers with different polearms; will there be musicians and colour-bearers (we've already seen these in part)? Will all of these things be replicated for each regiment portrayed?

And a related set of questions: how large will the AI lords' parties be? Company-strength, battalion-strength, a full regiment? Will a single lord command a mix of infantry and cavalry or will there be separate lords for these things?

PS. I was looking at the Russian uniforms you have posted, and they look pretty good. Nice detail on the Semenovsky rankers wearing the gold-trimmed hats and blue coats. I'd like to see a cliche officer with the tri-coloured sash and plume-trimmed hat thrown in at some point, but it's a minor indulgence. Maybe some cravats tried in bows (with the loops showing over-top of the coat) too. I wonder if the mod will have toggle-able plug-bayonets...
Do I sound excited?

Since Radetzky answered some of that, I'll address the rest...

There is a an animation slot reserved for bayonet fixing, but we've not had an animation for that yet, so for the time being, we're using ring bayonets on our models. They aren't out of place. In 1689, the Jacobite forces in England were defeated, attributed to many contemporary sources as due to the plug-bayonet. The ring bayonet was invented shortly there after, with most scholars agreeing it was Hugh Mackay who created it in the same year. They wouldn't have been as wide spread in 1702 (the starting year of our mod), but they were certainly in use all over Europe by the end of our mod years (1720-ish). For the time being, the plug bayonet poses numerous problems for in coding, animations, and needing to have a battle command to affix them. So for the moment, no plug bayonets. Maybe once we're further along and someone's interested in making an animation.

At the moment, many regiments have their own flags. So long as people's RAM can handle more textures, we'll keep adding as many flags, banners, colours, regiments, and soldiers as possible. We've got a good selection of them now, but we're working on adding more. We're also looking at musicians and other things to add in. I know we'll probably never be able to fully replicate 18th century warfare to its fullest due to engine restrictions, but we're going to try to get as close as we can.

Auldman and I brainstormed AI parties and how to operate them. We settled on towns having around 4000 soldiers, castles around 2000. We have two types of generals/lords/commanders - Cavalry and Infantry. Cavalry parties are two squadrons, working at a size of 200-260 men. Infantry is a bit more robust in size, but weaker in general (depending on the nation), ringing in at around 400-460 men. The AI always tries to aim for that. Incomes, leadership, money in game, the economy, etc, has/will be changed to reflect the need to maintain parties of that size.

<3

CR

celestialred said:
Bluehawk said:

Do I sound excited?

Since Radetzky answered some of that, I'll address the rest...

There is a an animation slot reserved for bayonet fixing, but we've not had an animation for that yet, so for the time being, we're using ring bayonets on our models. They aren't out of place. In 1689, the Jacobite forces in England were defeated, attributed to many contemporary sources as due to the plug-bayonet. The ring bayonet was invented shortly there after, with most scholars agreeing it was Hugh Mackay who created it in the same year. They wouldn't have been as wide spread in 1702 (the starting year of our mod), but they were certainly in use all over Europe by the end of our mod years (1720-ish). For the time being, the plug bayonet poses numerous problems for in coding, animations, and needing to have a battle command to affix them. So for the moment, no plug bayonets. Maybe once we're further along and someone's interested in making an animation.

At the moment, many regiments have their own flags. So long as people's RAM can handle more textures, we'll keep adding as many flags, banners, colours, regiments, and soldiers as possible. We've got a good selection of them now, but we're working on adding more. We're also looking at musicians and other things to add in. I know we'll probably never be able to fully replicate 18th century warfare to its fullest due to engine restrictions, but we're going to try to get as close as we can.

Auldman and I brainstormed AI parties and how to operate them. We settled on towns having around 4000 soldiers, castles around 2000. We have two types of generals/lords/commanders - Cavalry and Infantry. Cavalry parties are two squadrons, working at a size of 200-260 men. Infantry is a bit more robust in size, but weaker in general (depending on the nation), ringing in at around 400-460 men. The AI always tries to aim for that. Incomes, leadership, money in game, the economy, etc, has/will be changed to reflect the need to maintain parties of that size.

<3

CR

The English and the Dutch adopted the ring bayonet by the end of the Nine Years War. For some reason Louis XIV disliked them and they were not officially issued to the French army until 1703. If we ever put them in it will be more accurate to make them more common to the French. But the English and Dutch should have more of the ring bayonet and I would assume the HRE would have been implementing them too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayonet

"An unsuccessful trial with socket or zigzag bayonets was made after the battle of Fleurus, 1690, in the presence of Louis XIV, who refused to adopt them, as they had a tendency to fall off the musket. Shortly after the Peace of Ryswick (1697), the English and Germans abolished the pike and introduced ring bayonets; and plates of them are given in Surirey de St. Remy's Mémoires d'Artillerie, published in Paris in that year; but owing to a military cabal they were not issued to the French infantry until 1703, using a spring-loaded locking system to prevent the bayonet from accidentally separating from the musket. Henceforward, the socket bayonet became, with the musket or other firearm, the typical weapon of French infantry."

Personally I think given that it's only a year later than our mod's start I'd rather just not be bothered implementing animation for a bayonet that was obsolete very quickly.

Some new pictures of the regiments and menu overlays. I need to resize some of the stuff. WIP.

1C66AC721F3386D5FB019B9E3FF07E78C75005DC

5F243B19B52386C2E3F1967585E644792872A705

8F2176494537E7B16D927702B775ADDDF7A91A46

E0B48837F272CD015C4B9FC12DC1E2623BD16650

FB9934B75EE909FEFCD0FE3A56D385A7213711F0

81F350491A757A097528615153BF49C5D243FC98

Just need to make some text changes and adjust ideal sizes.

I'll try to get some new screens up for you all later. These were from the build I was working on before I had to go on hiatus.

<3

CR

Sweden too adopted a ring bayonet at some point in 1696, whereas Russia only first adopted the plug bayonet in 1694. The ring bayonet was then adopted first only by regiments of the Guard (Preobrazhensky and Semenovsky) in 1702. The rest of the army would not see them until 1709. With my head still stuck in the Great Northern War, the question seemed natural. But the focus on the mod is of course set far away in Spain, the Netherlands, etc., and the fact that Russia and Sweden are even being covered is a generosity, so ring bayonets will more than suffice.

Something popped into my mind: How historically accurate is it that militia was cavarly? It doesnt make much sense to me, considering fighting horseback is hard and requires actual training. I can somewhat understand if they acted like dragoons, but still.

Also, I like the idea of separate cavarly and infantry armies/divisions/whatever.

Your Mod is looking very promising. Do you have one location for development diaries? Reading through 150+ pages is quite an ordeal to get a grasp of your vision. I'd buy a game like this, but would love to see your progess in one post.

celestialred said:
Some new pictures of the regiments and menu overlays. I need to resize some of the stuff. WIP.

<3

CR

Just nitpicking, but that background image is out of mod's range. It's from the Carlist War, in the 1830's. The berets are quite iconical. :wink: It's badass anyways, Ferrer Dalmau's paintings are all awesome.

Everything looks nice. Battles will be veeery long as I can't use Battlesizer at more than 200.

celestialred said:

5F243B19B52386C2E3F1967585E644792872A705

8F2176494537E7B16D927702B775ADDDF7A91A46

E0B48837F272CD015C4B9FC12DC1E2623BD16650

FB9934B75EE909FEFCD0FE3A56D385A7213711F0

81F350491A757A097528615153BF49C5D243FC98

Just need to make some text changes and adjust ideal sizes.

I'll try to get some new screens up for you all later. These were from the build I was working on before I had to go on hiatus.

<3

CR

Outstanding! Thanks for the new screens and especially the recruiter which you've just gotten put in.

Bluehawk said:
Sweden too adopted a ring bayonet at some point in 1696, whereas Russia only first adopted the plug bayonet in 1694. The ring bayonet was then adopted first only by regiments of the Guard (Preobrazhensky and Semenovsky) in 1702. The rest of the army would not see them until 1709. With my head still stuck in the Great Northern War, the question seemed natural. But the focus on the mod is of course set far away in Spain, the Netherlands, etc., and the fact that Russia and Sweden are even being covered is a generosity, so ring bayonets will more than suffice.

I think so. Although maybe we'll look in to whether it is feasible to give them to a few regiments here and there. But that will have to be down the road a bit more. We have given some pike infantry to the Great Northern War contingents as that weapon was still in favor in the east especially with the Swedes.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Something popped into my mind: How historically accurate is it that militia was cavarly? It doesnt make much sense to me, considering fighting horseback is hard and requires actual training. I can somewhat understand if they acted like dragoons, but still.

Also, I like the idea of separate cavarly and infantry armies/divisions/whatever.

I think we are treating them more like "dragoons" or mounted-infantry and they certainly won't have the same or even near the same stats as "regulars" would.

von Afton said:
Preview

Great stuff!! What town is this?

HoJu said:
Just nitpicking, but that background image is out of mod's range. It's from the Carlist War, in the 1830's. The berets are quite iconical. :wink: It's badass anyways, Ferrer Dalmau's paintings are all awesome.

Everything looks nice. Battles will be veeery long as I can't use Battlesizer at more than 200.

Ah you caught that! Yes we might change it later. Both of us have liked Dalmau's Facebook page and a lot of his stuff is on it. Big fan! Well battles will be very long and we will also allow for a choice in whether one wants a Native siege or a "realistic" one. But this won't be for anyone who likes a wham bam battle that's over very quickly. I don't think we'll be able to create just how artful and set-up these things really were but we want them as close to complex and real as we can get it. Best advice: I know it's Mount and Blade but get off your horse, grab a spontoon, sword, and pistol and get in the ranks with your men and face that musket fire!

warbandnoob said:
Your Mod is looking very promising. Do you have one location for development diaries? Reading through 150+ pages is quite an ordeal to get a grasp of your vision. I'd buy a game like this, but would love to see your progess in one post.

Maybe we'll have to consider a blog site or something till we can get a board here.

Looking through the 'progress thus far' list has made me so pumped for this mod. It combines all good parts of other mods into one massive-mapped, historically accurate mass of awesomeness. I cannot wait  :grin:

Hey guys, just a question.

Will there be welsh regiments, (particularly welsh fusiliers) and will some of the old fashioned nobility have a suit of armor visible in the game? :razz:

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom