[WB] [S] Twilight of The Sun King (Old Topic. Enjoy as a historical archive.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little music to tide us over this morning  :smile: We're hoping to have this regiment in the mod (Probably for recruitment in towns and morale hit if you're playing as part of the Grand Alliance).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UrnAh5mxpk&feature=share

Clare's Dragoons
When on Ramillie's bloody field,
The baffled French were forced to yield,
The victor Saxon backward reeled
Before the charge of Clare's Dragoons.
The Flags we conquered in that fray,
Look lone in Ypres' choir, they say,
We'll win them company to-day,
Or bravely die like Clares Dragoons.
Chorus:

Viva la for Ireland's wrong!
Viva la, for Ireland's right!
Viva la in battle throng,
For a Spanish steed, and sabre bright!
The brave old Lord died near the fight,
But, for each drop he lost that night,
A Saxon cavalier shall bite
The dust before Lord Clare's Dragoons,
For never when our spears were set
And never, when our sabres met,
Could we the Saxon soldiers get
To stand the shock of Clare's Dragoons.
Viva la, the New Brigade!
Viva la, the Old One too!
Viva la, the rose shall fade,
And the shamrock shine forever new!
Another Clare is here to leasd,
The worthy son of such a breed;
The French expect some famous deed,
When Clare leads on his bold Dragoons.
Our Colonel comes from Brians race,
His wounds are in his breast and face,
The bearna baoghail is still his place,
The foremost of his bold Dragoons.
There's not a man in squadron here
Was ever known to flinch or fear;
Though first in charge and last in rere,
Have ever been Lord Clare's Dragoons;
But, see! We'll soon have work to do,
To shame our boasts, or prove them true,
For hither comes the English crew,
To sweep away Lord Clare's Dragoons.
Viva la for Ireland's wrong!
Viva la, for Ireland's right!
Viva la in battle throng,
For a Spanish steed, and sabre bright!
Oh! Comrades! Think how Ireland pines,
Her exiled Lords, her rifled shrines,
Her dearest hope, the ordered lines,
And bursting charge of Clare's Dragoons,
The fling your Green Flag to the sky,
Be "Limerick!" your battle cry,
And charge, till blood floats fetlock-high,
Around the track of Clare's Dragoons!

Got your PM,  I guess that can't be helped... it's still going to be an awesome mod regardless.
And if I do find some info/pics floating around among my stuff, I'll be sure to send it your way.

jackx said:
Got your PM,  I guess that can't be helped... it's still going to be an awesome mod regardless.
And if I do find some info/pics floating around among my stuff, I'll be sure to send it your way.

Well we can provide something like this and I think this is the template Alan is working off of:

321101_314980015180532_100000056089194_1354344_845910475_n.jpg

Auldman said:
British Preview.​

redcoats.jpg

Here come the Redcoats!​

Nice! :grin: can't wait to see the Dutch troops :grin:
The Dutch were a big factor in this war, sometime before this war they had Europe's second biggest army :wink:

Edit: The United Provinces WAS a superpower back in the 1700's, :wink:

thanks brondan, ahh do you have a sample nice/good dutch grenadier mitre cap picture like in your dutch grenadier picture above? so it would be easy to texture it  :grin:
and some VOC infantry picture maybe  :mrgreen:

I like how the Brits are shaping up, only the white gaiters stand out a bit much (I said this with regard to 1776 as well I think, they're a bit thick, and being bright white, it's really noticeable).

With regard to the cartridge pouches, in addition to belly boxes, I'd be most interested in seeing the (French) variant that still involved a separate powder flask.

Google books has this scan from Osprey with a drawing, I thought I'd have pictures from the Blenheim museum in Höchstädt as well, but it turns out they're not exactly useful as references...

jackx said:
I like how the Brits are shaping up, only the white gaiters stand out a bit much (I said this with regard to 1776 as well I think, they're a bit thick, and being bright white, it's really noticeable).

With regard to the cartridge pouches, in addition to belly boxes, I'd be most interested in seeing the (French) variant that still involved a separate powder flask.

Google books has this scan from Osprey with a drawing, I thought I'd have pictures from the Blenheim museum in Höchstädt as well, but it turns out they're not exactly useful as references...

Thanks Jackx! We'll see what we can work out. I tend to prefer the white gaiters to be used sparingly. Perhaps Alan can tone them down a bit.

Some nice images of Dutch infantry regiments here:

http://www.collectie.legermuseum.nl/asp/page.asp?alias=strategion&view=strategion&id=i001879&show=detail&priref=192152&collection=mediatheek&q=

wwwopac.exe

Radetzky said:
Again really nice, very good work!

Thanks! Alan's a master! I posted some Grenadiers yesterday and then I did a little more research because the mitre image we'd used troubled me. The big "GR" didn't seem right. So I checked and "GR" stood for Georgus Rex so of course, this being set in the era of Queen Anne, it was incorrect. It has taken me a boatload of digging but I may have found a Spanish Succession mitre Alan can use so he's working on it right now and, fingers crossed, it works. Almost every image I found yesterday was too late and Hannoverian. I even found military wargaming figures advertised as Spanish Succession with the incorrect Hannoverian (GR plus Hannoverian horse and latin motto) mitre! Hope somebody didn't pay for those!  :twisted:

Brodan1 said:
Auldman said:
British Preview.​

Here come the Redcoats!​

Nice! :grin: can't wait to see the Dutch troops :grin:
The Dutch were a big factor in this war, sometime before this war they had Europe's second biggest army :wink:

Edit: The United Provinces WAS a superpower back in the 1700's, :wink:

We actually invented volley fire.

128790530868680829.jpg

I think I'm in love. <3
Very nice work from the both of you, Alan and Auldman.

Regarding the Dutch: This mod/period could just as well be called "Twilight of the Dutch Republic", no matter how awesome the Dutch might have been in previous centuries as a driving force behind military innovation, they saw a rather bad decline throughout most of the 18th century.

A very unique and interesting setting for a Mod! I wish you all the best in development and I'm looking forward to when it's released!

One suggestion, I hope you are planning on featuring the music of Jean Baptiste Lully and other 17th century composers in this mod.  :smile:

MC_RIBS said:
A very unique and interesting setting for a Mod! I wish you all the best in development and I'm looking forward to when it's released!

One suggestion, I hope you are planning on featuring the music of Jean Baptiste Lully and other 17th century composers in this mod.  :smile:

Lully is one of my favorite composers. He'll be all over this mod along with Charpentier, Purcell, Moreau etc. Lots of Baroque and lots, lots, of Lully.

This tune, for example, will be in the mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9QgooiwfI Although the theme tune I am keeping close to my chest although it would be obvious to a Lully fan.  :wink:

Ah heck one more preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snxUHRaGTuA&feature=share

jackx said:
I think I'm in love. <3

Regarding the Dutch: This mod/period could just as well be called "Twilight of the Dutch Republic", no matter how awesome the Dutch might have been in previous centuries as a driving force behind military innovation, they saw a rather bad decline throughout most of the 18th century.

BLASPHEMY!

We were rather 'mind your own business and leave us being rich'. (muwhahaha)

We did however kicked the English, Germans and French out in 1672  :mrgreen:
But this is become a useless discussion!

abandon_thread_by_wernette-d34hyzz.gif

Use this march
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qGu0JNBuY4&list=FLgFPAY17-uJLTcQv42CZ9gg&index=4&feature=plpp_video

jackx said:
I think I'm in love. <3

Thank you! I am glad you like them!

I prefer to think that after long periods of struggle with both Spain and France in the 17th century that the Dutch were simply exhausted by over 100 years of near constant warfare (a few with England in there too) and the constant tromping back and forth across their territory of large European armies.  But they had very tough troops and a pretty professional and good navy that scared the wits out of the English for a good period of time.

Vicccard said:

Oh I hope this didn't offend. We plan to have Dutch well represented in this mod and they took a great part in many of the famous battles: Blenheim and Ramillies for example. I certainly wouldn't want you to think the mod makers do not respect the Netherlands! We certainly do! And their military accomplishments!

Thanks for the suggestion of the march too. I planned to include it but was going to use this one which may be closer to the period and less Napoleonic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n97icuHknTg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom