[WB] [S] Twilight of The Sun King (Old Topic. Enjoy as a historical archive.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Docm30 said:
I had a chance to play a bit and I wrote down some of my thoughts. I only had about an hour to play, so I didn't test it extensively, but here's my list. I'll try to update it as I play more.

Major Stuff
-The World Map is very choppy
-Sometimes soldiers crouch and just slide around to move. No crouch moving animation nor do they stand up after crouching
-Troops are named confusingly. British Orkney Soldier, British Webb Soldier etc. Can't tell what's what. I just wanted some light infantry
-General Flintlock Musket (and maybe all muskets, if they use the same sounds) makes the sound of two muskets when firing, and the other sounds are badly delayed
-Looters drop WAY too much loot. I got about 30 coats from 8 looters. They have too many items defined in the code
-After I did Mr. Whitworth's quest where I fight the bandits in town, I spawned in his house, but so did some of my men. They
spawned in such a way as to block me from reaching Whitworth and my game was effectively ended due to me not being able to talk to him or tab out
-The British recruiters were selling British troops one visit and then nothing but Shipping Guards and Merchants the next. Glitch or something I missed?
-Hunted down a Murderer in Carlisle, but the nervous man just spoke the "Surrender or die' dialogue. Can't complete it
-The graphics on the world map broke, but I guess that happens in the native game for me sometimes. Seemed to happen more often
here, though

Minor Stuff
-People spawn on stairs in London tavern
-Obviously 19th century painting of Cardinal Richelieu in London tavern
-The bullet fired by pistols is the size of a cannon ball
-Mr Charles Whitworth lacks the full stop after 'Mr'
-Ancient Greek Kopis is out of place, called a Balkan Ornamental Sabre
-Mentions of Calradia in spots
-England lacks mountains
-Some frankly rubbish tracks, namely the modern vocal ones
-Prussian flag in Carlisle. Also palm trees and sand
-No way to see how many cannons and what kind I've got outside of town. Maybe a menu on the report page?
-No control group for artillery or am I blind?
-I fought a battle on the ford (i.e. river crossing) texture but got no river, or water of any description

I like what I saw, but there were some gamebreaking issues, like the quest problems and the fact that I can't recruit army troops after the first day or so.

My main problem was the general sluggishness of the game, though. It took very long to load scenes and the map was very choppy. I suspect this has something to do with the huge filesize. 5 gigs is the biggest I've ever seen a Warband mod. L'Aigle (which is admittedly not finished) is fewer than 700 megs.

I also didn't see a single new scene, despite all the scene work I see in this thread. I only visited places around Britain, though.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the problems fixed. I also took this picture of my small army and my character, The Dreadentleman Pirate Rowsdower.

mb1ml.jpg

Most of those are good issues to point out and we're on them. However let me address the regiments thing real fast! They did not use a system of numbers or goegraphic names at this point in the British army (with exceptions). Regiments at this time were bought by their commanders who purchased them and also purchased their own commission. Thus regiments were known by the name of their commander i.e. Webb's regiment for Colonel John Richmond Webb or Orkney's for Lord Orkney. After this war there were reforms and we see the emergence of things like 5th Foot or South Warwickshires. Confusing it is but that's how they did it then.  :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom