SP Fantasy [WB] A Game of Thrones

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Art of Justice said:
Is it the same as IRL, but with winter being able to last for years?

Apparently, yes. GRRM always managed to avoid naming a specific month or day, but the context shows that the calendar used in Westeros and its time spans resemble our own (like the lunation or day-time).

So you would have to come up with your own names for days and months. Or just leave it the way it is. I dunno.

Bloodraven said:
Art of Justice said:

Apparently, yes. GRRM always managed to avoid naming a specific month or day, but the context shows that the calendar used in Westeros and its time spans resemble our own (like the lunation or day-time).

So you would have to come up with your own names for days and months. Or just leave it the way it is. I dunno.

I'll see what I can do. Thank you and others who responded for clarification. :wink:

Art of Justice said:
Bloodraven said:
Art of Justice said:

I'll see what I can do. Thank you and others who responded for clarification. :wink:

In ASOIAF winter isnt like in our world part of year but it is a name for period in which it is cold snowing etc...

Art of Justice said:
Bloodraven said:
Art of Justice said:

I remind you I got response from him and he said that each month is called Turn (turnof the moon), with corresponding number (up to twelve). year lasts 365 days like our. So a date would sound like "6th day of 3rd turn of the moon".

Shimmler said:
Art of Justice said:
Bloodraven said:
Art of Justice said:

I remind you I got response from him and he said that each month is called Turn (turnof the moon), with corresponding number (up to twelve). year lasts 365 days like our. So a date would sound like "6th day of 3rd turn of the moon".

That's interesting. I knew that he used that phrase in the books to describe the time span of a month, but to hear that it's the actual and official title is somewhat new. And a bit strange since the Maesters of the Citadel seem to make a pretty big deal out of astronomy, so one would think they would have individual names for each month/day/era.

See if you like how it looks. Personally I think that the timeline name is too long (thus the font is resized automatically). I can remove 'of the moon' for better sizing.

1XYUHvl.jpg

I think it´s suitable too. Maybe you can add a checkbox within the settings? Anyhow, how do you plan to implement "winter" at all? Any special thoughts on that matter?

Dr_Cox1911 said:
I think it´s suitable too. Maybe you can add a checkbox within the settings? Anyhow, how do you plan to implement "winter" at all? Any special thoughts on that matter?

Haven't thought about some distinguished seasons differentiation yet. First things first :smile: Just wanted the date to look properly.

Erreul said:
I do believe I will allie my self with House Arryn, their troop tree, and relative army equality, with that infantry diversity, really draws me to them. The names are what I'm used to hearig I guess. I don't know any of their history though. What about you guys?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRZbBhNbcRE
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Vale (Don't read the last paragraph, spoilers!)

Can't give you more for fear of spoilers, but the Vale is probably my favourite region in Westeros. :grin:

Also, IMHO for style's sake it might be better to simplify the dates to something like: "First Moon, Day 23, 299", just a thought.

Do you suggest that I read up on the series, or will I be fine?  I'm going to anyway, but I wads just wondering if there was going to be something specific.

Well there's not a whole lot of focus on the region or its history in the series, but I'd certainly recommend you read the books regardless, they're fantastic! :mrgreen:

And we should probably cut it here, before we get too off-topic. :wink:

Also be careful on that wiki... spoilers are everywhere... ESPECIALLY THE LAST COUPLE LINES OF THAT PAGE I LINKED, CRAP.

Shimmler said:
Art of Justice said:
Bloodraven said:
Art of Justice said:

That would be correct, just saw them say it as so, whilst reading book five. Or maybe that was four yesterday...

Stevon said:
Erreul said:
I do believe I will allie my self with House Arryn, their troop tree, and relative army equality, with that infantry diversity, really draws me to them. The names are what I'm used to hearig I guess. I don't know any of their history though. What about you guys?
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Vale (Don't read the last paragraph, spoilers!)

Can't give you more for fear of spoilers, but the Vale is probably my favourite region in Westeros. :grin:

Also, IMHO for style's sake it might be better to simplify the dates to something like: "First Moon, Day 23, 299", just a thought.

Best region: Vale
Best family: Starks
Best (sounding)  mod ever: This one!

I like many of the houses and every one for a different reason.
But maybe most favorite ones are Stark, Lannister and Baratheon. I also like some of the minor houses mentioned in books.

For region vale is a good bet because of its easy to defend well among other things. But without strategy based opinion i would say my favorite one is north.

Stevon said:
Erreul said:

Moon or Moon's Turn? :smile:

Art of Justice said:
Moon or Moon's Turn? :smile:
Neither. A month is called a turn. A quote from Maester Cressen in ACOK:

"Ten years, two turns, and sixteen days it lasted, the longest summer in living memory."

If a Maester calls it a turn, then there is no more official way to call it.  :wink: Therefore, you can just keep 1st turn, 2nd turn, and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom