SP Antiquity [WB] Roman Imperial

What features should be main foucus for the next set of testing?

• Custom battle scenes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more units *current is 4, and probably adding maybe 1-3 more, unless this is selected*

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Custom buildings

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • a build fortifications, and set up ambush in camp menu

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • diplomacy feature

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Making the basic 6 factions implented.

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

The roman units are completely done now! Well the starter ones anyways, all I need now is to make the models, and such. I'm currently in game getting a few higher up roman units, and some auxiliaries. So far 1 unit is being edited to look a little better, and then I'm going to be looking for testers!

so any testers, message me and I'll get you set up with this very early alpha

Some screenshots are now in the media folder! Check them out! Keep in mind that those are still early ideas of what the game will look like.

Don't think you should be doing an alpha this early, what would be the purpose of it? Unless you've done heavy coding work that needs lots of people play testing and giving detailed feedback, there's no need - you'd just be handing them a fiddled-around-with native.

I'd suggest trying to add the economic and management features you're talking about first, since that's the hardest part. The longer you put it off, the more likely you are to burn out and be left with a few models and some unfinished dialogue. Modding is time-consuming as hell. even with a team and tons of free time, it'll take you several months to get something even halfway presentable.

Not to put you off or anything, i mean don't get me wrong, if The process of modding itself wasnt fun we wouldn't be here. but I'd hate to see this mod burn out like so many others because of overenthusiastic beginnings.

jacobhinds said:
Don't think you should be doing an alpha this early, what would be the purpose of it? Unless you've done heavy coding work that needs lots of people play testing and giving detailed feedback, there's no need - you'd just be handing them a fiddled-around-with native.

I'd suggest trying to add the economic and management features you're talking about first, since that's the hardest part. The longer you put it off, the more likely you are to burn out and be left with a few models and some unfinished dialogue. Modding is time-consuming as hell. even with a team and tons of free time, it'll take you several months to get something even halfway presentable.

Not to put you off or anything, i mean don't get me wrong, if The process of modding itself wasnt fun we wouldn't be here. but I'd hate to see this mod burn out like so many others because of overenthusiastic beginnings.

Well the main purpose of the testing isn't for actual testing it's more to get people interested, and looking into the mod itself. There isn't a ton of work done, only around 10 hours of actual work, and 10 hours of me sitting here putting things off.

And I'm actually going to get right on working on the management, and such first. I've still got a lot of burn on this project, so might as well use all this energy to get that part done.

And I've already had quite a lot of fun "testing" I think the soldiers are a slight bit OP for rome, but i still need to put them against something more than bandits.

Also, I'd just like to say thanks for all the feedback your giving me I'm glad some people are looking at this!

No offense but we have piles and piles of Roman mods. It would very difficult to distinguish yourself from the others, many of which present top-notch work.

This mod will, hopefully distinguish itself, let me give a more extensive list of what I plan on adding  :cool:

More town buildings such as

Temples, Walls, Farms, Advanced housing, Barracks, public bathes, and other buildings in those fields.

Unique Family tree line, introducing kids "coming to age", looking into this through the use of the little date in the corner

Hordes of Barbarians coming in again using the date in the corner.

Multiple factions, starting from founding of Rome, where you will have to first take control of Italy, through conquest and annexation of neighbors.

Unit trees that capitalize, and sometimes over power the roman troops, forcing you to use strategy, or for the less gifted players hordes of romans

New diplomacy system that allows you to "set up protectorates" for a certain duration, when war breaks out with you and that faction. During the time of protectorate you are allow, or they are allowed to recruit off the protectorates lands. Along with other features such as ability to turn off trade with certain factions.

A naval system, including ports that can be captured and held, or blockaded.

and a lot of new features in the battle field for the different factions, including phalanx, shield walls, turtle formations, and much much more.

For more of the features, you'll just have to wait until the release, or during the release. Not that many people actually care, but.

You're setting pretty high goals for yourself, good luck dude. But I would definitely enjoy a total war type city management/upgrade kind of mod. Likin' the sound of having a phalanx. Again, good luck.

Daethikus said:
You're setting pretty high goals for yourself, good luck dude. But I would definitely enjoy a total war type city management/upgrade kind of mod. Likin' the sound of having a phalanx. Again, good luck.

Oh trust me I know, and I know this won't be easy either. Glad to see that people are liking the ideas of it.

Everyone keeps saying there are Roman mods, but there really aren't any great SP Roman mods. The best (so far imo) is the Brytenwalda submod Imperium Romanum. Every other Roman mod has a crummy map and/or factions along with really awkward items/troop trees. While I am not holding my breath for this mod, I am excited to see new Roman stuff.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Everyone keeps saying there are Roman mods, but there really aren't any great SP Roman mods. The best (so far imo) is the Brytenwalda submod Imperium Romanum. Every other Roman mod has a crummy map and/or factions along with really awkward items/troop trees. While I am not holding my breath for this mod, I am excited to see new Roman stuff.

Well, I'm not expecting anyone to be holding there breath, this is after all my first mod, but I can guarantee you, new roman stuff, I've got an experience of 5 years of practical dedication to the Romans, and other peoples in there time period, and resources on the information I don't know. Coding is new to me, but so far I haven't ran into any major problems, a few missed commas here and there. Most things that are going to be put into this mod are going to be new, and heavily worked on. I'm going to try and stay away from the OSP area for my models, and most of my work, and am going to try and bring a new experience, and new mod out.

SirMaltier said:
Uhtred Ragnarson said:

Well, I'm not expecting anyone to be holding there breath, this is after all my first mod, but I can guarantee you, new roman stuff, I've got an experience of 5 years of practical dedication to the Romans, and other peoples in there time period, and resources on the information I don't know. Coding is new to me, but so far I haven't ran into any major problems, a few missed commas here and there. Most things that are going to be put into this mod are going to be new, and heavily worked on. I'm going to try and stay away from the OSP area for my models, and most of my work, and am going to try and bring a new experience, and new mod out.

Ambitious, but I like it. Good luck man. I'll test if need be  :mrgreen:

SirMaltier, I admire your persistence.  I, personally, don't see a problem with multiple mods about the same culture/time period.  Prophecy of Pendor, Perisno, and Phantasy Calradia are all fantasy themed (and start with a letter "P," hmm...), but they're all different and lots of fun.

Don't worry about the people who won't play your mod; it's the ones who WILL play it that count.  :smile:

EternalPaladin said:
SirMaltier, I admire your persistence.  I, personally, don't see a problem with multiple mods about the same culture/time period.  Prophecy of Pendor, Perisno, and Phantasy Calradia are all fantasy themed (and start with a letter "P," hmm...), but they're all different and lots of fun.

Don't worry about the people who won't play your mod; it's the ones who WILL play it that count:smile:

DIS

It's not that it's not interesting (because to be frank, it is), it's how ambitious the whole projects sounds. Combine that with a completely new member who has yet to show anything that shows us he/she is capable of fulfilling the project's promised features and you've pretty much got a recipe for yet another "dead before lift off" mod.

I'm not bashing his/her attempt to make this, in reality I say go for it simply because it will be a good experience that could develop some skills which could be used in later mods. I'm simply saying it's best not to raise our hopes (and the dev's) that this mod will come into fruition, veteran members of this community have seen plenty of mods rise and fall just like this one, which is why you'll get plenty of people saying " don't bother".

Well I have been thinking about working on other mods, and just working on this sometimes in the backgrounds, and I decided to do that, only after I hit a problem that would require more experience. So far everything I've done has been correctly implemented into the game, and while I've stayed away from some of the more difficult modding functions, I've so far found it fun fiqureing out what to do. As I write this post I'm working on the what promises to be one of the more difficult aspects of the mods which is the new city management, and It's going good working on it.

Well, I've ran into my first problem... The barracks, which was planned to allow you to recruit soldiers that are more upgraded, will at this time be canceled. I've spent the past 5 hours working on it, and well at my current skill I can't find a practical way of implementing a building, that will let you recruit more troops. I do plan on later looking into the process of merging the buying enterprise, and the recruitment feature, instead of the actual building, but for now that idea is canceled... This is only 1 small feature out of the city management tab, and was from what I had thought the hardest to implement. By the end of the day I should have something good to show off

Alright, so in the past few hours I've been working on what shall be the first part of the game, Monarchy state.

Once this part is complete, is when I shall release the first alpha test, it shall have 5 other factions, of other "families", and your job is to become king of rome.

Note: This "alpha" test is not historically accurate, it is mainly to take some baby steps in the right direction to give me a good push, and to get some models done. In no way should this be seen as an impediment to what is to come later.

Back
Top Bottom