B Native Musket Era [WB] Renaissance Mod - Beta Released

Users who are viewing this thread

Bayard-X said:
@Roach XI the Magnificent:
Swadian Landsknechts and Veteran Landsknechts are actually equipped with pikes and halberds. However, as pikes are slow, AI agents tend to use the halberd instead. I think, that more cadet units should have pikes only. Less cadet units should also carry katzbalgers, but would then fight with them only. Maybe I add another type of swadian troop, Swadian Rodeleros?

Rodeleros weren't a HRE-ish unit, they were rather limited to the Spaniards. Anyway, if I had a say in what the Swadians would get, the first tier would be peasants with polearms, the second tier would be basic pikes and missiles, and the third tier would be good pikes and shot. After that some units might get halberds. Really, when one looks at the composition of a Landsknecht fahnlein, 300-350 out of 400 were generally pikes, the rest being half shot and half nco's/shock troops with polearms or swords.

...the Doppelsoldners, indeed. Give those heavy armor and Zweihanders/Halberds, and the rest (ordinary Landskenchts) pikes. Missile troops (which had Doppelsoldners too) should be of another 'patch' of the troop-tree also. IMHO.

Dopplesoldners as...missile troops?

This is news to me. Weren't their paid double because they were deployed on the front lines to counter charge the pikes with their zweihanders? (Hence the name)

YourStepDad said:
Dopplesoldners as...missile troops?

Yes. All arquebusiers in early Landsknecht companies were doppelsoldner, or "double paid men". Doppelsoldners were reenlisted veterans, some fighting with pikes, some with guns and some with halberds/swords.

Roach XI the Magnificent said:
Bayard-X said:
@Roach XI the Magnificent:
Swadian Landsknechts and Veteran Landsknechts are actually equipped with pikes and halberds. However, as pikes are slow, AI agents tend to use the halberd instead. I think, that more cadet units should have pikes only. Less cadet units should also carry katzbalgers, but would then fight with them only. Maybe I add another type of swadian troop, Swadian Rodeleros?

Rodeleros weren't a HRE-ish unit, they were rather limited to the Spaniards. Anyway, if I had a say in what the Swadians would get, the first tier would be peasants with polearms, the second tier would be basic pikes and missiles, and the third tier would be good pikes and shot. After that some units might get halberds. Really, when one looks at the composition of a Landsknecht fahnlein, 300-350 out of 400 were generally pikes, the rest being half shot and half nco's/shock troops with polearms or swords.

Well, I know, however, a little later, there where guys called "rondartchiers", IIRC. What's your opinion to that?

Although you didn't ask me, my opinion is that you may be forgetting it's Swadia we're talking about here. You can "bend" some rules. :razz:

That said, it would in my opinion be a sin not to give zweihanders to the top tier Landsknechty troops. Then again, your call.

I'd personally give the advantage of sword & buckler infantry to some other faction. Swadia can't have everything now can it? :razz:

Why not have a specific class of zweihanders? You could have the option to have either halberdiers or zweihanders, and arquebusiers or musketeers/crossbowmen, depending on how early or late the feel you're going for is.

Well, I know, however, a little later, there where guys called "rondartchiers", IIRC. What's your opinion to that?

I am not really sure how common they were, although they aren't usually associated with landsknechts - but rather, with later Imperial infantry regiments, being used as late as the 30yr war. Possibly adopted in the latter 16th century from the Spaniards.

My point is, the majority of a 16th century infantry formation was pikemen. Masses on pikemen, masses of pikemen everywhere - and the current build seems to have no more than 1/3 to 1/2 wielding pikes, if my party of Swadian Landsknechts is anything to go by. :razz:

YourStepDad said:
Although you didn't ask me, my opinion is that you may be forgetting it's Swadia we're talking about here. You can "bend" some rules. :razz:

That said, it would in my opinion be a sin not to give zweihanders to the top tier Landsknechty troops. Then again, your call.

I'd personally give the advantage of sword & buckler infantry to some other faction. Swadia can't have everything now can it? :razz:

Your opinion is welcome. :smile:

Actually, I never intended to get rid of the Zweihaender-Doppelsoeldners.

... however, now I seriously consider reforming the Swadian footmen, ... with them "learning off from the pike" - as they say in German or so.

What about katzbalgers ?

Roach XI the Magnificent said:
My point is, the majority of a 16th century infantry formation was pikemen. Masses on pikemen, masses of pikemen everywhere - and the current build seems to have no more than 1/3 to 1/2 wielding pikes, if my party of Swadian Landsknechts is anything to go by. :razz:

:smile: ... I guess I have responded to that now. If not, insist.  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom