MP Antiquity [WB] Pro Patria Mori (Recruiting researchers)

Users who are viewing this thread

I can already see my hair going gray...Anyways! Today I'll be posting the new idea for this mod, the new direction, and the departure of a team member.

--Edit--

Ok, so, I'll get this all out now. We've decided to change our base date of the mod from 9 AD to 280 AD, right in the middle of the Gothic Wars, and the Sassanid Persian wars. We decided this would be the best era for the mod due to the simple fact that it is an era that's been largely ignored by modders. It's an interesting era where the ancient and medieval world begin to collide. Instead of the short gladius and large fighting machines, you start to see more of a dependence on auxilia, and subjects of conquered nations equipped in their traditional fashion. The spatha (long sword) is becoming more and more common, but also there's a massive diversity between even the Roman Empires. The Western half is depedent on Germans, Britons, Iberians, etc. to fuel their military force, whereas the east is adopting the Persian way of war. They have clibanarii (cataphracts), horse archers, and even a hybrid of the two. We also picked this era because it offers the most diversity in terms of factions. The Goths are a Scandinavian group that swept through Europe, and even in to the middle east, causing the displacement of more Germanic tribes, and eventually leading to the downfall of the western half of Rome. This era also includes conflicts in both sides. The west is dealing with barbarian invasions from the Goths, Huns, and more, the East is dealing with the Sassanian Empire, a large hoard of Persians similar to Parthia, as well as various rebellions by the Jewish Peoples.

On the topic of the developer we've lost, we've lost our coder Frewd, due to a lack of progress with the mod. Speaking of the lack of progress! As the school year has began modding time has been restricted, previews will be fairly spontaneous, for a while, until school calms down.

CAN I MAKE CATAPHRACTS?!

By the way, I'm making that Gladius:

Gothic Knight said:
136-corpus-v.jpg

http://p3d.in/KR1p8

I didn't do the tapered ends of the inset bits because it would save polies. Cut me some artistic license here, please. It's already 726 polies, so I really don't want to be adding more.

Darth Taco, The goths, weren't they a Germanic People....? as far as I know they were Germanic, and not scandinavian.

Though again, I might be wrong, I am not sure at all. :razz:

The Goths (Gothic: *Gut-þiuda,[1] *Gutans[2]; Old Norse: Gutar/Gotar; German: Goten; Latin: Gothi; Greek: Γότθοι, Gótthoi) were an East Germanic people, two of whose branches, the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths, played an important role in the fall of the Roman Empire and the emergence of Medieval Europe.

Though when reading on, I see they Migrated from south Sweden/Gothland :razz:.....

Rumor has it they came down from some norse/scandinavian countries, settled in Eastern Germany, and then moved on. Götaland is actually southern Sweden. To Navy: We have settled on an exact time period: 280 AD. To Jarvi: It's a Spatha you nub.

Jarvisimo said:
CAN I MAKE CATAPHRACTS?!

Gothic Knight said:

I didn't do the tapered ends of the inset bits because it would save polies. Cut me some artistic license here, please. It's already 726 polies, so I really don't want to be adding more.

Around 10-20 Lol? I'll make the sword later and see how many polies I come up with. Either way, once again, good luck making a normal map for the blade.

I can't see the p3d link on my phone but that gladius should only be about 6 or 7 hundred tris , a lot could be done with a height map , and the handle only has like 6 sides. :grin:

TomW426 said:
I can't see the p3d link on my phone but that gladius should only be about 6 or 7 hundred tris , a lot could be done with a height map , and the handle only has like 6 sides. :grin:
It'll be around 700tris, not polies yes. My other models are 500-700 and they are similar.

Gothic Knight said:
Jarvisimo said:
CAN I MAKE CATAPHRACTS?!

Gothic Knight said:

Around 10-20 Lol? I'll make the sword later and see how many polies I come up with. Either way, once again, good luck making a normal map for the blade.
Hm, true, I will have another look tomorrow at college.

TomW426 said:
Aye, but I wanted to model the detail in. Just for fun.

Jarvisimo said:
Gothic Knight said:
Jarvisimo said:
CAN I MAKE CATAPHRACTS?!

Gothic Knight said:

Hm, true, I will have another look tomorrow at college.

TomW426 said:
Aye, but I wanted to model the detail in. Just for fun.

Mesh is done basically.
k25j.png

It's 800 polies currently.

Back
Top Bottom