SP Native [WB] Persistent Troop Identities

Users who are viewing this thread

Regarding the Funerals idea, perhaps a relations hit if you do not attend or pay anything out towards the costs, especially if you are with a good relation with the village or a bad one (only worsening relations).

Thank you everyone for all the kind comments, saying that you think the mod is awesome and whatnot. I haven't been giving individual replies to those because there's just so many but I really appreciate them, makes it feel like making this was very worthwhile. A big thanks also to all the guys giving suggestions and letting me know about bugs, I've got a nice long to-do list that I'm running through as I update the mod and I'm continually adding to that with your posts.

Somebody said:
Alternatively generate only a small set of faces (for each faction/age group) and just hash each agent into them instead of storing all the faces.

That's a possibility I suppose. I'll have to give it some thought.

Zephyr75 said:
I've been playing it for 2 days now, and two glitches stand out: my inventory items all disappeared twice now (in 95-ish in-game days) and the rents and income from enterprises don't add up to my new wealth, meaning when the day of the week comes for troop payments and rents / income collection, the budget screen pops up correctly and displays the proper budget report showing me what my new wealth should be, but when I click ok and come back to real time game, my wealth simply hasnt changed.

That's very peculiar. I'm not sure that any of my code deals with the player's inventory or gold so don't know where that would come from. Anybody else getting this as well? Maybe it's something to do with the version of Diplomacy the mod includes. I'll have to investigate.

hirovard said:
Regarding the Funerals idea, perhaps a relations hit if you do not attend or pay anything out towards the costs, especially if you are with a good relation with the village or a bad one (only worsening relations).

I'm not gonna go down the route of penalties if you don't do this stuff, because you have to keep in perspective that you're eventually going to have hundreds of troops and go through big battles in which you lose a whole lot of men. It might be interesting with a small party, but eventually it would just get tedious and/or frustrating if you have to do it for every single troop or suffer the consequences. I like the idea of it as just something you CAN do and if you do, you get a little reward for it.

MitchellD said:
That's very peculiar. I'm not sure that any of my code deals with the player's inventory or gold so don't know where that would come from. Anybody else getting this as well? Maybe it's something to do with the version of Diplomacy the mod includes. I'll have to investigate.
I noticed the disappearing inventory thing once whilst besieging Praven. I got knocked out, there was a whole lot of error messages, and when I came back all of my things were gone  :sad:
Got me some screenies:
K9Rg0.jpg
9IgLv.jpg
ekjwz.jpg
Naturally I reloaded and it hasn't happened since. I don't have any enterprises so I don't know anything about the other problem.

Love the mod, by the way. I keep mourning and weeping every time a unit dies. My main suggestion is that when we go to the troop review screen seen in screenshot 1, it would be nice to sort troops by statistics like most troops killed, longest range shot, etc, instead of having to search through them all manually.

Vraelomon said:
I noticed the disappearing inventory thing once whilst besieging Praven. I got knocked out, there was a whole lot of error messages, and when I came back all of my things were gone  :sad:
Got me some screenies:
K9Rg0.jpg
9IgLv.jpg
ekjwz.jpg
Naturally I reloaded and it hasn't happened since. I don't have any enterprises so I don't know anything about the other problem.

Ahhh, that makes it a lot clearer actually, the inventory would be wiped if something bugged out and it took the player as one of the troops. That should make it a lot easier to get to the bottom of this and fix it, thanks.

Vraelomon said:
My main suggestion is that when we go to the troop review screen seen in screenshot 1, it would be nice to sort troops by statistics like most troops killed, longest range shot, etc, instead of having to search through them all manually.

Yeah, I've been planning a leaderboard kind of thing as a separate interface that would allow you to pick a stat and see them ranked by that, with everybody's value shown and the names being links to open up their page. I don't think that'll be done in the next update so maybe in the meantime I'll add a temporary option within the review screen to sort by a stat.

MitchellD said:
I'm seriously considering having an alternative version of the mod that just doesn't bother trying to keep their faces persistent in battles because getting that to work limits so much other stuff. Already been over the issue of not being able to have troops in allied parties show up with the correct gear and all, that problem disappears if I abandon all the stuff to make faces work. I just wish there were a simple agent_set_face operation!

For me the consistent faces thing isn't as important as reducing limitations. In the heat of battle I'll recognise favourites by their equipment, but rarely look at their faces. Plus most of the high level guys who you actually care about end up with helms that cover a lot (or all) of the face/hair anyway. Making the 'reward' a full or near-full face helm would probably help with this too.

kraggrim said:
MitchellD said:
I'm seriously considering having an alternative version of the mod that just doesn't bother trying to keep their faces persistent in battles because getting that to work limits so much other stuff. Already been over the issue of not being able to have troops in allied parties show up with the correct gear and all, that problem disappears if I abandon all the stuff to make faces work. I just wish there were a simple agent_set_face operation!

For me the consistent faces thing isn't as important as reducing limitations. In the heat of battle I'll recognise favourites by their equipment, but rarely look at their faces. Plus most of the high level guys who you actually care about end up with helms that cover a lot (or all) of the face/hair anyway. Making the 'reward' a full or near-full face helm would probably help with this too.

Basically this. Faces aren't unique enough that you can remember very many of them anyway.

Got my 40 strong army decimated by some Khergits.
They took me and the 18 survivors prisoner to a castle
Escaped and spent the rest of the afternoon looking for money and building a new army to storm the castle and rescue them.
Hang in there lads, I'm coming.

wow, this looks really great. well done Mitchell!

only one thing: when you got troops to upgrade, maybe try to set a specific one of them as upgradeable? it shouldnt change much but it may make them fell even more real :razz:

Ikaguia said:
wow, this looks really great. well done Mitchell!

only one thing: when you got troops to upgrade, maybe try to set a specific one of them as upgradeable? it shouldnt change much but it may make them fell even more real :razz:

Isn't there an option for that through the presentation accessed by camp menu?

thats what I meant, when you upgrade it trought that presentation, you can upgrade ANY of your troops that are on a type which has an upgrade available, not a specific one

Alright, I think I'm gonna go with abandoning the faces in battle then. Sucks to have to give up a feature, but gotta prioritise.  :sad:

HoJu said:
Escaped and spent the rest of the afternoon looking for money and building a new army to storm the castle and rescue them.

Godspeed mate. Godspeed.

Ikaguia said:

Ikaguia said:
thats what I meant, when you upgrade it trought that presentation, you can upgrade ANY of your troops that are on a type which has an upgrade available, not a specific one

As in only the troops that gained experience should be available to upgrade right? I've discussed this matter with others before, who said they preferred it with you being able to just upgrade anyone. I totally see where you're coming from though with the realism aspect; it's strange when a couple of guys get a bunch of kills and then random schmucks that didn't do anything can be upgraded. It's also strange that one minute two different guys are ready to upgrade, then you upgrade either one and the other mysteriously stops being ready to upgrade. It makes a lot more sense if 5 ready to upgrade means only 5 specific troops are ready to upgrade, but which takes priority out of realism and player choices? I've already gotten conflicting answers so far. Perhaps I should put it to a poll.

I don't know your integration of it as of right now but wouldn't it be too hard to make it togglable? Like an option in the camp menu so the player can decide if they want realistic or the native approach to upgrading.

Airbar said:
I don't know your integration of it as of right now but wouldn't it be too hard to make it togglable? Like an option in the camp menu so the player can decide if they want realistic or the native approach to upgrading.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of that actually, it would be pretty easy to do and I've already got other things togglable. Seems like the best choice.

Are you going to integrate it via experience slots for each troop and save each unique troops experience to that slot? I have no idea how the stack experience is handled but I guess you would have to find a way to "cut it off" so the experience gets saved to the individual troop.

MitchellD said:
Alright, I think I'm gonna go with abandoning the faces in battle then. Sucks to have to give up a feature, but gotta prioritise.  :sad:

HoJu said:

Godspeed mate. Godspeed.
Sadly it seems they didn't retain their previous identities and stats after being rescued, they got new ones. Khergit prisons change you, man. I'll miss Colan, that 15 year old crossbowman who killed 5 men in a single battle, I really was hoping to get him back.

Really??? I tested rescuing troops from a castle they were transferred to multiple times and it always worked, that's pretty tragic if they're just gone. :sad:

Anyway... I really hoped this wouldn't happen but the update I promised has not yet materialised. I'm afraid it (including source) is gonna have to come on the weekend. Sorry everybody!

I could be mistaken but I'm quite sure this Colan and some others I was monitoring weren't among the dead and thus must have been captured but they weren't among the rescued either, who had their killcount and recruiting info reseted upon rejoining me. I hope it's just bad luck on my end.

Edit: I might have bungled it and was running the game without WSE when I performed the rescue. Not sure but likely. Nevermind then, I'm dumb like that. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom