MP Native [WB] Conquest: Supremacy

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Rich

Grandmaster Knight
CSLogo_zps1d0a740b.png

Conquest: Supremacy is pretty much a complete revamp of the original conquest game type. The original game mode is pretty much dead and hardly played and had (in my opinion) many flaws. This is an attempt to make use of that game mode by combining elements of its flag capturing system with the form of the battle game type. Battle itself has a couple of flaws that are shown up in competitive play with teams often waiting minutes without doing anything so as to wait for flags. I won't get into details regarding that here but I hope that this fusion of the two game types might produce a fun and competitive gametype that has a lot of tactical and strategic options in competitive play and perhaps at the same time deal with the flaws of the other two gametypes.

Features
  • Battle style rounds and spawns
  • One life per round
  • Cavalry can no longer cap flags while mounted
  • Simpler flag points system, scalable for varied numbers of flags
  • No more base flags, so no overlap with CTF
  • All native and ENL maps modified with new flag spawns
  • Server side mod, no installation needed for clients
  • Based on the ENL Admin Mod v3.2 (Thanks Shock :grin:)

>>Download<<

The game type is also currently being hosted on The_Beehive server, we have taken off the password so its a public server now.

Changelog
  • Version 1.2
    • Changed gold reward percentages for killing/dying so they match battle
    • Removed extra gold being given at start of round
  • Version 1.1
    • Removed gold gained for capturing flags
    • Fixed bugs related to flag not been raised back to original position at the end of rounds
    • Stopped flag capturing after rounds end
    • Swapped flags around on Frosty Battle as they were in the wrong positions

Gameplay
Supremacy works much like battle, you can win by killing the other team off completely. However you also have the additional aspect of the conquest flags, these do not grant an immediate victory but more a long term one. All modified maps have either 3 or 5 flags available on them, this means that it will be unlikely for camping scenarios to occur since teams should always be able to move in and get a greater number of flags to force the other team to attack.

Each round is played over 100 points, you can win it either by having your points reach 100 more than at the start of the round or by killing the other team. The points also count up now as that makes the tracking of round score much easier. If you win the round by killing the other team your points are automatically moved up to the +100 level. The losing teams points are reset to what they had at the start of the round. So lets take some examples:

Team 1 and 2 both start on 0 points.

Team 1 wins the first round by killing all of team 2 when the scores are 56 - 40 in favour of team 1.

The new scores are now 100 - 0

Team 2 then wins the second round by map control 179 - 100

The scores are now 100 - 100

If team 1 won again the scores would then be 200 - 100 etc...

Effectively the hundreds column acts as the overall score on the map while the tens and units columns act as the score within the round.

Flag Points
The original conquest gametype had some pretty hard to discern rules for the amount of points per second given by the flags. Base flags (the ones spawned on the CTF positions) gave twice as much and the amount also varied by the number of players on the server.

For supremacy I have simplified this down. Each flag gives an equal share of the overall points per second available. By default I have set this so that controlling all the flags will end the round in 2 and a half minutes from 0 points. Controlling half the flags will end the round in 5 minutes. Changing the 'Team points gained for flags %' property in the admin panel allows you to increase or decrease the overall rate at which points are acquired and thus effectively change the length of rounds.

Please ensure as well that the max team points setting is a multiple of 100. If its not the game may end mid round.

One thing to consider as well, capturing a neutral flag only gets yourself points however capturing an enemy flag takes points away from them and gets you points. You can also neutralise flags the enemies hold in half the time and then just leave them. So held flags are potentially more valuable than neutral ones.

Maps
All maps have been modified to include new conquest flag placements, most of the ENL maps did not have any flags on them and the original native maps had poor flag placement for this gametype or assumed the base flags would be included. I have tried to use some varied placements of flags to show the kind of variety you can get in terms of map layout.

Team1Flag_zps5380eccd.png
- Team 1 Flag

Team2Flag_zpsc37ee9e4.png
- Team 2 Flag

NeutralFlags_zpsb799b0b2.png
-Neutral Flag (Black for snowy maps so you can see it :wink: )

Ruins
Ruins_zps07c2c291.png

Village
Village_zps88b16dd8.png

Field By The River
FBTR_zpsea29d3d0.png

Snowy Village
SnowyVillage_zps987098dc.png

Nord Town
NordTown_zps136c6f60.png

Port Assault
PortAssault_zps92555dcc.png

San'di'boush
Sandi_zps71093815.png

Vendetta
Vendetta_zpsbc96ce39.png

Frosty Battle
FrostyBattle_zps603784e5.png

Reveran Village
ReveranVillage_zps69a0884a.png

Weird. How come this one didn't get any attention, I found this quite genious, seriously. Good job.

Belendor said:
Weird. How come this one didn't get any attention, I found this quite genious, seriously. Good job.

Well I have only been working on it quietly for a few days and then released late last night so I probably didn't release in the best way to get the most views :lol:. Thanks though :smile:.

SnRolls said:
Absoloutly Genious! I love it man! =D

^^

We had people playing in small numbers for most of the afternoon, there are a couple of bugs at the moment with the flags sometimes not going back to position at the ends of rounds and also with there being too much gold.

We will also be looking to hopefully set up a small private tournament to do some testing in a few weeks.

Awesome! I hope this gets more attention and spreads around.

After this gets ironed out I honestly hope it gets adopted by leagues, possibly even replacing Battle.
Native compatibility should help a lot. It's a question of convincing server owners to host the gametype.

shokkueibu said:
Awesome! I hope this gets more attention and spreads around.

After this gets ironed out I honestly hope it gets adopted by leagues, possibly even replacing Battle.
Native compatibility should help a lot. It's a question of convincing server owners to host the gametype.

Indeed.

I'll take a look at this when I get back from work, good job mate.

MaHuD said:
Is this server side or a full mod?
It looks very good and promising atleast. :smile:

It's entirely server side but I am considering making some changes to the client too so that people who want to can download the mod and have a slightly better score display as well as removing the "spawning in 3... 2... 1..." message. That would be entirely optional however and purely for aesthetic purposes.

Updated the OP, download should link to the new version.

• Version 1.1
    • Removed gold gained for capturing flags
    • Fixed bugs related to flag not been raised back to original position at the end of rounds
    • Stopped flag capturing after rounds end
    • Swapped flags around on Frosty Battle as they were in the wrong positions

shokkueibu said:
Is Team 1 flag in Nord Town bugged? We could neutralise it but not capture properly.

I will check it out, I had a similar issue on village. For some reason moving the flag a little fixed it, there seems to be some areas on the maps that make flags bug out in that way although I found nothing in the code to suggest why.

Hmm. Look into how they decide if a flag is captured and if they use [font=consolas,courier]position_move_z[/font] to get the new position to animate the flags (you can't set the fixed point multiplier on that operation, it's always 100*). Could be some discrepancy with precisions.

Yeah, I thought the same about the precisions, but I am sure I tested moving the flag up and down vertically in the editor without any success.

I guess this might be related to the bug on ruins where one of the flags sometimes doesn't capture as well (for battles Master of Field).

Hey Azan, this looks very interesting!
I totally agree that Warband needs more gametypes better suited for competetive play.

Actually me and my cousin Krogan have been working on a similar project for some time.  Just saw your topic in the Guildhall - Warband discussion board and came to see what you have made.
The game type we created is very different from the one you have made, but they both come from the same feeling; that clanwars could be so much more fun, both to play and watch, if there was a gametype with some more interesting objectives.
We have dedicated server up called Warbanner_server_mod, come and check it out if you like! :smile:

The objectives in our gametype are:
Both teams has a flag that spawns each round at their spawn point.
Out on the map there are two flagpoles where you can attach this flag.
If you raise your teams flag to the top, you win the round.
If you take the enemy team's flag you win the round.

Some deeper reasoning about why we made these objectives and how they affect gameplay:
What we wanted to achieve with this was a game where there would be no camping, waiting for flags to spawn at a random location.
If the other team decides to camp, you can go to the flagpoles and raise your flag. But this has a risk attached to it as you will risk loosing your flag in doing so.
Only soldiers on foot can pick up the flag and if you mount up with the flag, your horse will run very slowly, so there will be no cavspam race to get to the flagpoles first.

We wanted there to be no one true tactic to win, but rather many different ways of beating your opponent.
If you decide to attack the enemy flag bearer, how do you defend your flag whilst doing this?
If you focus on defending your flag how do you hinder the enemy from reaching the flagpoles and raising their flag?
How do you balance between offence/defence? How can you use harassment tactics to prevent the enemy from reaching the flagpoles before you? etc.

We wanted there to be more fast paced action, more focus on tactical play and more melee battles. :smile:

This mode was from the beginning a non native compatible mod we called "King mod" that we finished about a year ago. That's the mod my banner is referring to.
But while making it we realised that it would be much better with a native compatible gametype intead of a new mod, so we never released it officially but just played it with friends a bit.
We had one version of a native compatible mod pretty much done when Napoleonic wars was released, but our mod using WSE we had to wait for WSE to be ported to the latest version of Warband before we could release it.

You being competetive player, a broadcaster for Warband battlestream (I really, really love your streams) and sharing the same feeling that we need a better gametype for clanwars, it would be very interesting to hear what you think about our attempt. Hopefully something that will benefit the native community can come out of this! :smile:

We have been doing Conquest on our siege server weekly now on the weekends.  Big hit so far,  we are already making custom conquest maps.  It's a lot of fun with 90 people :smile:

Rend said:
Hey Azan, this looks very interesting!
I totally agree that Warband needs more gametypes better suited for competetive play.

Actually me and my cousin Krogan have been working on a similar project for some time.  Just saw your topic in the Guildhall - Warband discussion board and came to see what you have made.
The game type we created is very different from the one you have made, but they both come from the same feeling; that clanwars could be so much more fun, both to play and watch, if there was a gametype with some more interesting objectives.
We have dedicated server up called Warbanner_server_mod, come and check it out if you like! :smile:

The objectives in our gametype are:
Both teams has a flag that spawns each round at their spawn point.
Out on the map there are two flagpoles where you can attach this flag.
If you raise your teams flag to the top, you win the round.
If you take the enemy team's flag you win the round.

Some deeper reasoning about why we made these objectives and how they affect gameplay:
What we wanted to achieve with this was a game where there would be no camping, waiting for flags to spawn at a random location.
If the other team decides to camp, you can go to the flagpoles and raise your flag. But this has a risk attached to it as you will risk loosing your flag in doing so.
Only soldiers on foot can pick up the flag and if you mount up with the flag, your horse will run very slowly, so there will be no cavspam race to get to the flagpoles first.

We wanted there to be no one true tactic to win, but rather many different ways of beating your opponent.
If you decide to attack the enemy flag bearer, how do you defend your flag whilst doing this?
If you focus on defending your flag how do you hinder the enemy from reaching the flagpoles and raising their flag?
How do you balance between offence/defence? How can you use harassment tactics to prevent the enemy from reaching the flagpoles before you? etc.

We wanted there to be more fast paced action, more focus on tactical play and more melee battles. :smile:

This mode was from the beginning a non native compatible mod we called "King mod" that we finished about a year ago. That's the mod my banner is referring to.
But while making it we realised that it would be much better with a native compatible gametype intead of a new mod, so we never released it officially but just played it with friends a bit.
We had one version of a native compatible mod pretty much done when Napoleonic wars was released, but our mod using WSE we had to wait for WSE to be ported to the latest version of Warband before we could release it.

You being competetive player, a broadcaster for Warband battlestream (I really, really love your streams) and sharing the same feeling that we need a better gametype for clanwars, it would be very interesting to hear what you think about our attempt. Hopefully something that will benefit the native community can come out of this! :smile:

So it's kind of a modification of CTF? I considered a similar thing myself when i began work on supremacy. It sounds pretty interesting anyway, I will have to have a look at it. The problem that tended to happen with CTF and why I decided not to redevelop it too was that once both flags were captured teams would camp massively. I guess if you have flag points that are accessible when the flag is captured that won't be an issue though.

Deaf Blind Dave said:
We have been doing Conquest on our siege server weekly now on the weekends.  Big hit so far,  we are already making custom conquest maps.  It's a lot of fun with 90 people :smile:

Supremacy or Native? :smile:

Back
Top Bottom