[WB][M] Ballista

Currently viewing this thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJay

Master Knight
Hello, I'm developer of the Mercenaries mod (www.mbmerc.com). Now I'm trying to implement a small deployable ballista/great crossbow. The code is almost ready but I'm not an artist and I can't create a good mesh and texture. That's why I'm asking you to make the resources. Mercenaries is an open-source project so everything will be available for the community. If you're interested, please look the details.

Video: http://youtu.be/A62J4Ls3Mgs

A ballista consists of 5 scene props:
ballista_base - static
ballista_middle_part - rotates around Z (vertical axis)
ballista_upper_part and ballista_upper_part_ready - controlled by a camera
ballista_winch - rotates around X
m_ballista_small.png

It should be a medieval ballista, not a roman scorpion. It could be something like this (source):
great_crossbow.jpg

Triangle limit: 2000
Texture size: 1024+

Beobart

Baron
I can do a model for this project if i may, not sure if i can do that today but i would do that this week.

Patta

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Are you going to make the script open source by any chance? I was planning something like this too :wink:

Patta

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Well, sry, I stopped reading after "mercenaries is...", because I though he would give a mod description there and I know the mod already. I never knew that it was completely open source, though. Has been some time since I played.

xenoargh

Grandmaster Knight
You just need this skinned, correct? 

If yeah... I could see trading time doing that nicely for having the code nicely packed up for OSP;  I think a lot of people could use this. 

Big question: can bots use it?

Sahran

Grandmaster Knight
Holy balls, I hope someone helps the man along because that's damn snazzy. Not just the code to achieve it but also that you have it go into a 'first person' mode that'll make aiming incredibly easier compared to some of the more rough and tumble attempts at artillery type pieces in the past.

I think it may be possible to have the bots use it, just somehow code it so an AI stationed on the gun behaves like he's an archer.

HomerJay

Master Knight
xenoargh said:
You just need this skinned, correct? 

If yeah... I could see trading time doing that nicely for having the code nicely packed up for OSP;  I think a lot of people could use this.
I just need a mesh and a texture. It's better to make a new great crossbow but also you can make a low-poly variant of the existing mesh.

xenoargh said:
Big question: can bots use it?
No, bots can't use it because I'm making it for the multiplayer mode. But I think it shouldn't be very hard to "teach" them how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom