SP Fantasy [WB] Honour Be Thy Shield - A middle-eastern themed mostly low fantasy mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Thank you guys!

Progress is still slow due to extra workload, but I hope soon for an update. Our 3d-artist is very busy creating beautiful new models and the range of OSP packs is better than I thought.

This is just awesome!

Actually I'm not surprised because I know how unique Usama's works are and the mod that he works on must be as unique as his works as it is expected :wink:

Would you guys like some custom voice overs?

I'd like to offer my voice talents; as well as some friends of mine and students. I have been looking into vesting into creating a proper crew of voice actors on here to get them work; as they are budding in the field and could use the experience.

Whats say you?

Well this is intriguing.

I find it interesting that your trying for an Arabic setting, as most people try for a medieval or Dark Age theme for fantasy works, leaving more obscure mythological settings in the dust, (i.e Indian, Arabic)

This setting promises a very unique mod, I look forward to your progress.

I was for a long time pretty much of the grid due to very serious real life issues. Now I am back and want to finish what I started. But I have worked on the mod lately again, and I will try to post updates here once in a while.

Developer Diary No. 1

I start with the attribute and skill system. I have made a lot of changes, planned even more.

Strength
Strength works like in native. But since every attribute point also provides an additional hit point, every point of Strength provides now also an additional point of Stamina, which is based on the Viking Conquest and Brytenwalda stamina systems, but with some adjustments. All skills based on Strength have been kept, but Ironflesh was reworked quite heavily.

Resilience - expanded skill (renamed Ironflesh, additional effects)
In addition to native effects Resilience provides:
- a bonus to Stamina due to Stamina being based (among others) on current hit points,
- a better resistance to wounds (lower chance of incurring wounds), which are based on the Viking Conquest wound system but with major modifications,
- a better resistance to diseases (disease system yet to be implemented).

Agility
Agility works like in native. But skills based on Agility have seen a major overhaul.

Weapon Master - expanded skill (additional effects, included skill "Shield")
In addition to native effects Weapon Master provides now
- also the native effects of the Shield skill, but with reduced scope based on Viking Conquest,
- and reduces the chance of weapon breaking.

Shield - removed

Athletics - expanded skill (additional effects)
In addition to native effects Athletics provides now base points for Stamina and also increases the regeneration rate of Stamina in scenes.

Looting - removed
I always found this skill pretty disturbing immersion. Thus I removed it to make place for more interesting skills. Looting calculations will now be based on other skills and additional factors:
- Trade skill (to evaluate the loot)
- Spotting skill (to spot the good loot)
- Athletics skill (used to calculate the amount of time needed for the looting process)
- Number of not wounded troops in the party (used to calculate the amount of time needed for the looting process)
- Amount of time you want to set aside for looting (chosable in a menu after the battle is finished based on the Brytenwalda system)

Stealth - new skill
This skill will allow more effective sneaking in scenes and on the world map. Yet to be implemented.

Sleight of Hand - new skill
This skill will allow picking locks and pockets in scenes, false gambling, the three shell game and parlour tricks (to earn money). Yet to be implemented.

Intelligence
Intelligence works like in native. But skills based on Intelligence have seen a major overhaul.

Tracking - expanded skill (included skill "Pathfinding")
Two points of Tracking now provide one point of Pathfinding.

Pathfinding - removed
Pathfinding was replaced by Tracking and Spotting, which both combined provide now the same native bonus than Pathfinding.

Spotting - expanded skill (additional effects, included skill "Pathfinding")
In addition to native effects Spotting provides now
- for every two points one point of Pathfinding,
- and provides a bonus to looting (see above).

Inventory Management - to be removed
Another skill I found killing immersion. I am currently working on a system which will allow removing the skill. I have a weight based solution (everybody starts with Inv Management 10) setting map speed to zero if too encumbered, or an inventory slots based solution where the slots are provided by either troops in the party or pack animals. The latter has the problem that the engine side implementation of Inventory Management is pretty weird: Inv Management only effects the UI, that is how many slots you see, but not the inv slots themselves. If the skill is reduced, the last slots are removed in the UI display, but if you regain the skill point the items you had stored there are available again. And I have not found a reliable way to trigger an inventory clearing script in case of losing a skill point due to loss of troops or pack animals.

Medical Treatment - expanded skill (renamed Wound Treatment, additional effects)
In addition to native effects Medical Treatment provides now
- a way to heal diseases (not yet implemented)
- a way to cure wounds (see Resilience).

Surgery - expanded skill (includes skill "First Aid")
In addition to native effects Surery gives now also the native bonusses of First Aid.

Persuasion - moved to Charisma

Alchemy - new skill
Alchemy allows the creation of remedies against diseases and supplies for wound treatment. There will also be the possibility of the creation of very rare elixirs based on equally rare ingredients and other stuff for that light touch of the fantastical.

Seafaring - planned new skill
If and when I get to implementing sea travel, this will give speed bonus and other stuff.

Charisma
Charisma works mostly like in native. But skills based on Charisma have seen a major overhaul. Charisma also provides a base for two new willpower stats: Resolve and Composure.

Prisoner Management - removed
This skill was removed. The possible amout of prisoners is now based on the number of troops in the party based on the Brytenwalda and Viking Conquest system.

Persuasion - moved to Charisma
I want to give this skill also much more opportunities to shine. It will be the "lying" skill, debating skill and taunting skill in "social combat". this will come with an expansion of the dialogue system.

Leadership - expanded skill (additional effects)
I plan also some additional effects here, but nothing implemented right now.

Trade - expanded skill (additional effects)
Trade now effects the looting calculations. I am still not entirely happy with having this skill, but for the time being it stays.

Willpower - new skill
Willpower will be a skill tested in social combat. It also provides the base points for the new stats Resolve and Composure, which both work as social hit points in certain situations. Resolve will also be important in morale calculations during battle and overland travel.

Judgement - new skill
Judgement will be the anti-lying skill and will allow certain insights into people during dialogues (better dialogue options) or in general (for example something like revealing their nature).

Well that's it for now. I am currently working on an overhaul of the wound system and inventory system. Next step is the implementation of formAI and jacobhinds moral scripts (with the inclusion of willpower).

mike56 said:
Sounds really promising. I hope these real life issues are now lighter and that you will be able to finish this mod. Good luck!
Thank you! Everything is better now! Still working on the wound system and a replacement system for inventory management.

Back
Top Bottom