SP Medieval [WB] Gwoarwen medieval mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Great news! Gwoarwen 0.1 is out! I really should have worked more on it but I just had to get it out there so I can feel a sense of accomplishment and want to work on it some more.
Current Features: 6 (new) kingdoms just renamed, New troops without new meshes (still figuring that out). That's it, I know its not a lot but I had to start somewhere.

Download links:
http://multimirrorupload.com/tf_biw9hsmocfwx
http://multimirrorupload.com/zp_biw9hsmocfwx
http://multimirrorupload.com/so_biw9hsmocfwx
http://multimirrorupload.com/mf_biw9hsmocfwx
http://multimirrorupload.com/ul_biw9hsmocfwx
http://multimirrorupload.com/s2_biw9hsmocfwx
http://multimirrorupload.com/ol_biw9hsmocfwx
Now that we have that sorted out I would like to move on to the basic goals behind the mod, I already have a post of that in the mod ideas section but now I have decided to take matters into my own hands:
[/s]

With a bit of motivation I have decided to make a very basic release, just to get some of the basics troops/factions down. Hopefully that will lead to the development of new features.

"I want to create a mod that is set in the 1200-1300 in a medieval european like society. I don't want it to be europe but I would like to have it have many parallel's especially in culture. I really think the cultural thing is an important part of the mod, I haven't thought about it to much but maybe I would have like 3-5 culture? Anyway enough of this introduction let me skip right ahead to the features I want.

1. Diplomacy (Obviously)

2. Some sort of terrain advantage mod, I think something like this exists

3. New, interesting quests with interesting characters who actually effect the war or one of the lords etc

4. This is the long one, forgive me  :ohdear:
I would want to have a completely revamped recruitment system because the old one is incredible time consuming
and historically inaccurate (plus it just doesn't make sense). Its not original, its been used in two other mods that I know of
Blue Blood, and Anno Domini, but it is how the feudal system worked so yeah.

First of all villages, towns, and castles would be converted into Baronies, Earldoms, and Duchies (or some fictional title we come
up with). Each Barony will represent 10 villages so you have ten knights. These knights each have a squire or two and somewhere from 2-4 men at arms. In addition they each have 16 peasant levies. If possible i will want to make the death chance for knights 10 percent chance because want the player to have to ransom them back. I don't want knights to be just popping out of holes because it ruins the immersion (at least for me). I'm even thinking of making the knights each have their own id much like the mod Troop Ids or maybe make them companions... I dunno.

Anyway moving on to Earldoms, they will have 20-30 knights they provide the same amount of men though maybe less levies...
Finally Duchies or Dukedoms? Since they are towns they will be slightly different relying more on mercenaries or maybe a town watch? Maybe some levies in the mix to. The lord will certainly have some household knights who live with him in the city. The Duchies them self are the town which is like a city and all of the villages or baronies around it unlike earldoms which are independent.

5. LORE: i want to provide a lot of lore and stuff, really its those extra features that drive the player. Maybe have some quests related to the lore, I know I certainly want to invent some new lore. There will be 6-7 kingdoms I think with maybe some minor factions like thieves, renegades, etc.

6. PRICES: Ok so I know A suit of full plate armor was expensive... but 50k dinars? are you serious? you do realize thats like 5 weeks of a towns revenue? These smiths that make the stuff must be richer than the lords! I would say move the 0 over for most of the items and get some realistic prices in along with adding people at a market who will buy stuff for more than its worth.

7. ARMOR: Eliminating most of the eastern european/middle east type armor. I dunno I just don't like it in the game, This is going to be a relatively small place not the entirety of europe. In addition to this i would like to get rid of most of the leather armor (MOST NOT ALL) and replace it with gambeson which is more historically accurate, more useful, and to me, just looks better. I also want to stress that gambeson was worn under plate and mail and sometimes mail was worn under plate too so you can put that in the item name or something which would explain why the prices are slightly hirer. I also would like to add a new plate model probably from one of the preexisting mods and remove the native one because I don't think it looks all that great. Finally I want to add heraldry to the armor, for foot soldiers it can be a simple badge on their uniform. I also think it should be possible to have heraldic plate.

8. RECOURCES: Im one of those guys. I really want there to be some sort of resource collecting thing, Such as wood camps, mines: coal/iron/gold/silver/salt, Quarries, and other things. I want you to be able to build them from a menu in your fief. I also think fief taxes should be raised or something of the sort. In addition I really want to revamp the economy. I would have towns have a lot more things to sell and i would have villages produce stuff for YOU so that YOU get flour from your village.

9.Formations self explanatory

10. Trample damage: I want horses to actually push people out of the way, I want them to inflict mass amounts of damage on those it tramples. If its realistic, I want it.

11. Stamina:I want the player to have stamina. They can run out of it and than they can't really do anything, I don't want them to get exhausted from walking and maybe add a sprinting feature. I want the stamina to be realistic, not go down to fast, not go down to slow.

12. Weapon break: I want the weapons to break when you use them to much in battle

13. Improved Siege: Maybe some improved sieges?

14:Events: I want semi random events involving real characters to happen around the map. Like with lords and companions and stuff for example maybe a group of mercenaries is terrorizing the countryside, or maybe an important noblewoman is captured (or royal) by an enemy faction and you can try to rescue her or something. Or maybe there is a plague/famine that effects everyone. I think I want to make tournaments some kind of events or feasts with lots of social interactions with the lords and ladies.

15: DEATH: Yes, I want death for players and for lords. I know its possible because i've seen it done in mods before the most notable being The last days of the third age in which even the player can be killed. When you are killed you basically can't move on the map anymore and you get a death message. Lords get banished and they have a funeral pyre or something of the sort and its announced and all the npc react to the death.

16: BRYTENWALDA MOD PACK: so theres a modpack or I dunno that I saw used in Brytenwalda, and a game of thrones mod (Not the clash of kings) and it adds a bunch of good things that I would want in my mod

17: New banners: they should make sense and look like  banner and not like a piece of paper

Some things I DONT want in the mod:

1:Unrealistically powerful players who can kill 50 troops before taking any damage

2:Unrealistically powerful troops who don't take any damage

3: Extremely colorful armor (Heraldry is a different thing)

4: Female troops or armor or vassal/monarchs. Some mods do this but I want to try to make mine as realistic as possible

5: Poorly textured armor

6: Imbalanced economy: already said this

7: I don't want the player to be being constantly attacked by bandits because its just unrealistic: maybe give the player some dialouge options so he can get himself out with out fighting if he doesn't have any money. If they are taken prisoner I want them to actually FEEL like they have been taken prisoner: have dialoges happen like a quest give them chances to escape and give renown for escaping; maybe even have the lords say "I heard you escaped from..." and increase relation or something.
Thanks for reading this. I know it looks like a pretty tough challenge but most of this stuff has been done before, I just want to combine it all together for the ultimate experience."

Good news the map is done (except for rivers and mountains) and I can proceed to focusing on getting new meshes into the game, from their I'll be able to make different lords and kings and add some factions.

hoping someone will help me get python working

visit the Forge Q&A thread and add details on what is not working. Remember you are not coding the game with Python, but MBScript

Base off your features list and your level of experience I would estimate 1000 hours worth of work (learn how to do stuff, break stuff, try to make stuff works, etc) to create this mod. Hope you have all those hours free. Remember to visit the Forge when you need help.

I do not think I will be able to continue this mod until I learn more about coding... however if there is an experienced coder who would like to help I would be happy to give the meager source code (i haven't done a lot). I also have greater ambitions to make a mod like the Viking Conquest Storyline mode and merge it with my other ideas.

You could add some story elements more dialogue choices, that would be easy to do even if you are inexperienced since module_dialogs is generally one of the easiest MS files to work with (It's the first one I worked with when I started modding MB). Besides it would set your mod apart better from those other "realistic medieval mods" if you had unique of RPG style dialogue or well developed lore/story somewhere. Not alot of mods have this

Back
Top Bottom