[?Outdated?] [WB] Global Map Visualiser

Users who are viewing this thread

I am currently working on a map visualiser/modifier/creator for M&B Warband (because only tested on Warband map.txt and parties.txt)

Currently I am able to read map.txt and parties.txt but I don't realy understand all the data provided by theses files. I will continue to work with map.txt but will instead use parties.py for the generation and update of the objects of the map.

Current Download :
Version A.0.3a
Note : use 7zip to unzip the file

Actual ScreenShot :
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5

Miles stones :
Done :
  • Loading map.txt mesh information
  • Loading parties.txt
  • Rendering color shaded terrain
  • Rendering Texture shaded terrain

In Progress
  • Rendering trees
  • Flat triangle map

Todo
  • Modification of the map file
    • Triangle modification
    • Vertex modification
    • Edge modification
  • Loading OBJ files for map
  • Loading parties.py
  • Saving map.txt
  • Saving parties.txt
  • Saving parties.py

Planed
  • Creating a map from a flat mesh
  • Loading BRF
First build : Version A.0.1

What is it doing?
- Read the map.txt and parties.txt located in the map folder.
- Use zqsd to mouve and a,e to rotate. (sorry for the french keyboard).

Known issue :
There is a limitation of 65000 vertex for the map. I'll try to find a way to bypass this limitation.

Old version :
Version A.0.1
Version A.0.3

Blobmania said:
Nice. Are you planning this as a full map editor like Thorgrim's?

Indeed, I'm planing to do a full editor.

Currently, i'm working on the interpretation of the parties.txt file because the map.txt is already completely interpreted.

map.txt is quite simple to interpret. There is two parts in the file.
The first one is the vertex list starting by the numbers of vertex of the mesh.

The second one is the polygon list starting by the numbers of polygons. It's simply list of vertex painting information (first 3 numbers) and triangle constitution (3 last numbers).
Currently, i'm just taking the triangle constitution information. I'm planing to add the vertex painting information to the elements.

I'm just at the beginning of the project.

The first release will come with the reader of the two files to have an overview of the world map.
I'm working with the native map and parties files.

Feel free to provide me with other files.

Well, I can admit to being pretty excited about this. I always tend to avoid Singleplayer mods because of the map making implications, but I may well get back involved if this ends up as good as I hope it will.

Ra'Jiska said:
Looks great !
Just out of curiosity, what are you coding it with ?

I'm coding it with Unity 3D.

First build : Version A.0.1

What is it doing?
- Read the map.txt and parties.txt located in the map folder.
- Use zqsd to mouve and a,e to rotate. (sorry for the french keyboard).

Known issue :
There is a limitation of 65000 vertex for the map. I'll try to find a way to bypass this limitation.

Version A.0.1

Hum...
Working on the vertex color shader to have an overview of the map textures but it's quite confusing me.

The data are organise like this :
4 0 3 5208 5248 5207

The 3 first numbers should be the vertex color information because the 3 last are the triangle.
But on the native map.txt, only the first number change so it's probably not a vertex color information but a triangle color information. I don't know how to deal with this.

Found the informating i've needed in the 0.6 changelog of Thorgrim's map editor : "  - Can now double click a face in face mode to select all adjoining faces of the same texture (like fill)"

The first number is the texture of the triangle.

neostralie said:
Hum...
Working on the vertex color shader to have an overview of the map textures but it's quite confusing me.

The data are organise like this :
4 0 3 5208 5248 5207

The 3 first numbers should be the vertex color information because the 3 last are the triangle.
But on the native map.txt, only the first number change so it's probably not a vertex color information but a triangle color information. I don't know how to deal with this.

Found the informating i've needed in the 0.6 changelog of Thorgrim's map editor : "  - Can now double click a face in face mode to select all adjoining faces of the same texture (like fill)"

The first number is the texture of the triangle.
Maybe swyter can help you out? He created already a map visualiser which can read map.txt and parties.py, import .obj and export a map to .obj, save a map.txt and parties.py, as well as moving and rotating parties on the map. Map textures are read, too, but no icons. You can also look at his program, see here: swyter's cartographer

Blobmania said:
Well, I can admit to being pretty excited about this. I always tend to avoid Singleplayer mods because of the map making implications, but I may well get back involved if this ends up as good as I hope it will.
This, so much this, assuming you mean what I think you do.  native still has a few areas where this occurs as well.  Very irritating when you're trying to run away from something.

There is a limitation of 65000 vertex for the map.
You'd have to double-check with cmp, but IIRC there are some strict limits on vertex counts for all meshes on the engine; I think that 65535 is the limit per single mesh but IDK whether that applies to the map mesh or not (and I don't know whether each Terrain section is treated as its own mesh or is chunked in some way for more efficient BSP if the sections do not have any shared vertexes, but maybe, as some pretty huge world meshes have been built).

Anyhow, if you can get it to the point where it'll "merely" load OBJ and let us move parties and see the border limits, etc., that's huge; Thorgrim's isn't terribly happy on a lot of modern OS's, crashed frequently, etc. and while swyter's tool is neat, it requires being in Blender.  Oh, and if you get to the point of data-editing... please make sure the interface is pretty standard, like 3DS style, so that it's not a pain in the butt just to figure out how to do stuff :smile:

xenoargh said:
There is a limitation of 65000 vertex for the map.
You'd have to double-check with cmp, but IIRC there are some strict limits on vertex counts for all meshes on the engine; I think that 65535 is the limit per single mesh but IDK whether that applies to the map mesh or not (and I don't know whether each Terrain section is treated as its own mesh or is chunked in some way for more efficient BSP if the sections do not have any shared vertexes, but maybe, as some pretty huge world meshes have been built).

Anyhow, if you can get it to the point where it'll "merely" load OBJ and let us move parties and see the border limits, etc., that's huge; Thorgrim's isn't terribly happy on a lot of modern OS's, crashed frequently, etc. and while swyter's tool is neat, it requires being in Blender.  Oh, and if you get to the point of data-editing... please make sure the interface is pretty standard, like 3DS style, so that it's not a pain in the butt just to figure out how to do stuff :smile:

Seriously, dude. Learn Blender, or 3DS Max! You can do more stuff with those softwares than anything I can code in a hundred years. Why re-invent the wheel if you don't seem able to manage in a standard 3D suite?

Blender is free and allows you to paint terrain materials using brushes and box selection, optimizing triangle count, non-destructive editing, real time sculpting with dynamic topology, height map import and export,... Same goes for anything else capable of reading Wavefront OBJs + Materials.

I told you almost the same some years ago. Learn to 3D or ask somebody who really wants to do the job, because it's easy as pie when you do 3D models from time to time. Stop slacking or I will keep telling you the same two years from now.

Since it was brought up, does anyone know if the vertex count on map icons are included in the 65000 map limit? That's because my icons are around 6000 verticles each...

Back
Top Bottom