SP Antiquity [WB] "Fall Of Rome" (team needed!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aenima

Sergeant
**EDIT**

As of 23/8/12, this proposed mod has been cancelled. Appreciate the interest that was shown, but simply too much was needed that was too complicated and demanded too much of my time. Here's hoping an experienced mod team is able to work on something similar in the coming years!

dia151 said:
you know,  you can have more then 6 factions  :wink:

Yeah, but if I were to have my way, there'd be a total of at least a dozen factions, which is quite a damn lot. Like I said, I'm just tryna keep it simple for the time being. If this mod were to get released, then I'd gladly do a more in-depth release of it and add more factions into it.

EDIT: That said, how does one go about adding factions to the game? And soldiers? I'm just worried that adding new factions will mean even more work to be done when I'm more focused on just getting the general foundation done.

MadVader said:
You seem like a nice person, but starting a mod without skills and basically asking other people to do it for you is a bit hopeless.

Oh, don't gemme wrong, I'm not counting on others to do it - I figured I'd likely have to do it myself when starting out, but just figured it wouldn't hurt to see if there were others who had some time on their hands and an interest in helping out with a mod like this.

Oh boy, I was planning for a mod like this for a while...except that I'm also a total noob. I think there is a osp map of Europe somewhere in this forum, I saw it a while ago available for download. Also, I might want to join your team, except that it is stated above, I'm a noob. I'll try to do some basic modding and troop trees and submit the work to you in the future for you to use.

So far progress is ok..

You may want to look at the Cursus Honorum mod. The guys there are not top crew (sorry, guys :smile:), and the mod seems hibernating, but they have something released and may gather again to do some work on the next version.
You may want to join them (easy) or make them join you (much harder). :smile:

BroskiDerpman said:
But I always wanted a late roman empire mod...with Armenia, Sassanids, and all that good stuff...  :sad:
If everybody started their own Roman mod, there wouldn't have been any finished mods to enjoy.
Wait... that's exactly what happened. There are no finished Roman mods for Warband, and at this rate, there isn't going to be any at all.

Alrighty, I'll try to join their team, except that I need to get some good modding tutorials at the Forge.  :wink: :grin: Or I'll go back to trying to make my calradia mod...

MadVader said:
BroskiDerpman said:
But I always wanted a late roman empire mod...with Armenia, Sassanids, and all that good stuff...  :sad:
If everybody started their own Roman mod, there wouldn't have been any finished mods to enjoy.
Wait... that's exactly what happened. There are no finished Roman mods for Warband, and at this rate, there isn't going to be any at all.
MnG? Imperium Graecorum?

MnG is multiplayer-only.
Imperium Graecorum is unfinished (0.45) and frozen/dead.

EDIT:
Ok, guys, here's how to make a Roman mod and finish it, so we can all enjoy it and sing praises to its glory. In 3 simple steps!

1. Design it to have a manageable number of factions. About 6 is about right. 12 tops, 3 minimum. Not 18 or zillion, ignore suggestions to add this or that from idle bystanders, or you'll never finish it.
Don't add features if you don't know how to do them. Don't add features that may take too long to do.
In fact, cut your feature list to the bare minimum. Imaginary features that look nice in theory, but won't be done, won't help you release the mod. Everyone can write long feature lists and doom the mod to failure.
You can add more planned features when the bare minimum is complete, and you have a playable 1.0 release. Don't be impatient.

2.a. Get into heavy scripting or find a moderately knowledgable scripter. Recruiting beginners usually doesn't work - scripting is complex business. Don't announce scripted features if you don't know how to do them or are too hard to pull off.
2.b. Draw a map or find a map or find a map-maker. Easy.
2.c. Heavily borrow models from other people, with permission. Make new ones where you need them, don't duplicate work that can be borrowed. Have a modeller or two.
2.d. Borrow scene props and scenes from other mods, with permission. Have a scener or two. Don't plan on making too many cities/castles/villages, or you'll regret it. Duplicate scenes are just fine.
2.e. Slowly work on changing all the in-game text that refers to Calradia. Simply change the existing text to be consistent with Roman times. There is a LOT of text to change, have a literate writer/editor on team - people will be put off by centurions saying "wut?".
2.f. Researchers. Everybody who can google wants to be one. Don't hire them, do your own research or ask the public. If you must, bring one in that really knows his history, is literate and is not butthurt when proven wrong (a rare quality).

3. After 5-8 months, have a 1.0 release.
Congratulations! You made the first finished Roman SP mod for Warband!

And again Madvader is right.

You may want to look at the Cursus Honorum mod. The guys there are not top crew (sorry, guys :smile:), and the mod seems hibernating, but they have something released and may gather again to do some work on the next version.
Can't disagree with you but stuff has changed and we are indeed gathering and doing some work on it. Following your "how to make a roman mod" tutorial :smile:.

Now on topic,
With some practice you will be able to do what you want but you need time and patience. And the forge is a good place to learn.

Aenima said:
dia151 said:
you know,  you can have more then 6 factions  :wink:

Yeah, but if I were to have my way, there'd be a total of at least a dozen factions, which is quite a damn lot. Like I said, I'm just tryna keep it simple for the time being. If this mod were to get released, then I'd gladly do a more in-depth release of it and add more factions into it.

EDIT: That said, how does one go about adding factions to the game? And soldiers? I'm just worried that adding new factions will mean even more work to be done when I'm more focused on just getting the general foundation done.

Just start with 6 factions, and add new when you have completed original ones.

MadVader said:
MnG is multiplayer-only.
Imperium Graecorum is unfinished (0.45) and frozen/dead.

EDIT:
Ok, guys, here's how to make a Roman mod and finish it, so we can all enjoy it and sing praises to its glory. In 3 simple steps!

1. Design it to have a manageable number of factions. About 6 is about right. 12 tops, 3 minimum. Not 18 or zillion, ignore suggestions to add this or that from idle bystanders, or you'll never finish it.
Don't add features if you don't know how to do them. Don't add features that may take too long to do.
In fact, cut your feature list to the bare minimum. Imaginary features that look nice in theory, but won't be done, won't help you release the mod. Everyone can write long feature lists and doom the mod to failure.
You can add more planned features when the bare minimum is complete, and you have a playable 1.0 release. Don't be impatient.

2.a. Get into heavy scripting or find a moderately knowledgable scripter. Recruiting beginners usually doesn't work - scripting is complex business. Don't announce scripted features if you don't know how to do them or are too hard to pull off.
2.b. Draw a map or find a map or find a map-maker. Easy.
2.c. Heavily borrow models from other people, with permission. Make new ones where you need them, don't duplicate work that can be borrowed. Have a modeller or two.
2.d. Borrow scene props and scenes from other mods, with permission. Have a scener or two. Don't plan on making too many cities/castles/villages, or you'll regret it. Duplicate scenes are just fine.
2.e. Slowly work on changing all the in-game text that refers to Calradia. Simply change the existing text to be consistent with Roman times. There is a LOT of text to change, have a literate writer/editor on team - people will be put off by centurions saying "wut?".
2.f. Researchers. Everybody who can google wants to be one. Don't hire them, do your own research or ask the public. If you must, bring one in that really knows his history, is literate and is not butthurt when proven wrong (a rare quality).

3. After 5-8 months, have a 1.0 release.
Congratulations! You made the first finished Roman SP mod for Warband!
MnG is dead and not in development anymore. IG is frozen since (me) the leading graphic artist, is having problems and Bolkonsky is busy. The real problem with IG though is we don't know much about the organization of the Sassanids or Romans during this period. I have a lot more knowledge of the Late Roman period though and I would possibly start a mini mod in the mid to long term future(Either a small mod based on Adrianople or Julian the Apostate).

Edit: Also, IG's main meeting place is here.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=354355&page=19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom