SP Native Explorer! - Source Code Released

Users who are viewing this thread

Big news: The new Alpha version is out.
There are some bugs, but it should be quite stable.

There is also now a Discord server you can join: https://discordapp.com/invite/GXRVhcZ

You can also get the mod on Nexusmods as well as Moddb:
https://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/6277
https://www.moddb.com/mods/explorer1

Probably best to read about the features on the links. But quickly, here are some of the new features:

- A handy little worldmap, which shows the path you've travelled as well as known locations.
- Party encounters: Multiple parties can meet in the same scene, with perfectly handled team/faction relation. (Can even be more than 2 teams per scene...)
- Join a faction, get parties to follow you - raid villages, besiege castles, fight your enemies!
- NPC permadeath: Named characters are deadly to other named characters.

Some screenshots:
mb183.jpg

mb190.jpg

mb188.jpg

Hope you like it  :wink:

Great as concept ... An idea by the way; Place direction signs to go from city to city or scene to scene, clicking on it would be teleported to the new scene ...  :razz:

I've had the idea for something like this for a long time.

To be able to freely explore the land of Calradia without the use of maps. To player has tried have personally experienced to identify the own location and could navigate only with the help random travelers, either with the help maps which he can buy.

And also to move freely and find food for long survival. Kill wild animals, which can be shoot from string or buy on market, but this will be chargeable and costly. Sleep under the open sky like a simple adventurer or a free bandit.

It's perfect for single roleplaying.

I was just thinking about something like this a few days ago, and now I find it here! Awesome job, downloading this now.

Hey y'all.

I have decided to upload the source files for Explorer. You can get them here:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/explorer1/downloads/explorersource

I never did get a chance to clean things up as I would have liked, so do beware.

I sincerely hope someone finds some use for these! If anyone has any questions/needs any help, feel free to ask me!

Ruthven said:
Hey y'all.

I have decided to upload the source files for Explorer. You can get them here:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/explorer1/downloads/explorersource

I never did get a chance to clean things up as I would have liked, so do beware.

I sincerely hope someone finds some use for these! If anyone has any questions/needs any help, feel free to ask me!
Thanks for that, every source code available is enriching our community!

Hi there, this is a really great mod :smile: I hadn't even imagined this would be possible using the WB engine...

Problem is I played previous versions of Explorer which worked really great, but this latest version doesn't work for some reason. Actually, everything does work, except all the textures are white except for the characters and the occasional rock or barrel or somesuch.

Maybe I installed it wrong? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Damnas said:
Hi there, this is a really great mod :smile: I hadn't even imagined this would be possible using the WB engine...

Problem is I played previous versions of Explorer which worked really great, but this latest version doesn't work for some reason. Actually, everything does work, except all the textures are white except for the characters and the occasional rock or barrel or somesuch.

Maybe I installed it wrong? Any ideas on how to fix it?
Are you using a Mac by chance?

I believe you can fix this by disabling depth effects/instancing/hdr. Try playing with those settings and see if it works.

Busted :smile: Yep, I'm on mac.

I've tried the settings you recommended and played around a bit in the options, but no changes unfortunately.

Ah well, thanks anyway.

P.S: Don't know if you can do much about it, but while I was testing the mod I saw whole herds of cattle peacefully walking around underwater in rivers. Gave me a bit of a laugh, but it would be weird if enemy parties start doing it too.

Hey there, the best way to get into fights is to either join a faction, or simply start attacking faction units. Wars will start between the two closest factions to you, though it is somewhat randomised. Typically if you walk around faction borders they will usually start fighting soon enough, then you can join either faction and take part in their battles/sieges. Talking to Manhunters and asking about bandits will also generate bandit parties if none are nearby, but note that bandit party size is based on your current party size.

To be honest the Alpha does not have a very good balance for encounters... sorry. I would recommend choosing a starting faction to join/recruit from, then raid another faction's villages. You can see smoke rising from locations that are being raided/besieged as well.

Last edited:
Hey there, the best way to get into fights is to either join a faction, or simply start attacking faction units. Wars will start between the two closest factions to you, though it is somewhat randomised. Typically if you walk around faction borders they will usually start fighting soon enough, then you can join either faction and take part in their battles/sieges. Talking to Manhunters and asking about bandits will also generate bandit parties if none are nearby, but note that bandit party size is based on your current party size.

To be honest the Alpha does not have a very good balance for encounters... sorry. I would recommend choosing a starting faction to join/recruit from, then raid another faction's villages. You can see smoke rising from locations that are being raided/besieged as well.

Thanks.

Hello TW forum, been a while

A final version has been released for Explorer. Since these boards aren't very active any more I'll direct you to the download pages for information.

I also made a video of a siege in Narra, showing off some of the different types of gates and layered town sieges.

Download:
Moddb

Steam Workshop

Nexusmods

With this, I'm probably hanging up my warband hat for good. Been a pleasure!

I guess around two years ago I saw your mod in Moddb and downloaded Warband again just to test it out. Back then, for some reason, I didn't see this forum thread and wasn't able to congratulate you.
This is hands down one of the most innovative mods out there for Warband! And implementation itself is also great with a lot of fine small touches like eagle/raven scouting, compass etc. Really nice work.

I know Warband Modding and Bannerlord Modding is quite different but are you planning to implement something like this for Bannerlord as well?

I know Warband Modding and Bannerlord Modding is quite different but are you planning to implement something like this for Bannerlord as well?
Thank you! I'm not planning this at the moment. Explorer for warband grew out of several old projects, some of the scenes/ideas in the mod currently were things I first worked on in 2014 or even earlier. On top of that, there was such a rich amount of OSPs and community resources to draw from, Bannerlord is still a bit too early for that.

I also enjoyed having to try to readjust the gameplay itself to fit the different pacing and context offered by something like this (although in the end I didn't entirely succeed.) With Bannerlord's stacking modules, I think that a design approach would be better off staying in line with Bannerlord's native gameplay, so it would remain compatible... But it's not as fun creatively. I also wanted to make a mod that specifically tried to destroy the "menu based gameplay" that was all over Warband; Bannerlord's singleplayer is even more heavily menu-based, so I imagine trying to merge the two would be even more complex.

My last issue is that, I think Warband offered some very unique gameplay mechanics, and the combat especially was much more complex and satisfying even than ever intended. I am a huge fan of the multiplayer side of the game, and I hope the combat improvements in the mod make players learn the system a bit better. By contrast, I think Bannerlord actually doesn't quite measure up in this area. Everything on a horse is an improvement, but there are issues with attack animations/swing arcs and movement, and lacks I think some of the simplicity that made the WB system work so well. BL also doesn't really offer some of the things I would have wished for in a new game, like significant improvements to the AI, or the issues/rigid design of the siege system, or a new terrain generator...

I guess the simple version would be to say that Bannerlord seems to be evolving more towards the campaign strategy side (like CK/Civ/Total War) and less towards some of its RPG roots, which were what I maximised to create Explorer. I wouldn't be surprised if someday someone makes a simple addon that lets you travel from scene-scene in Bannerlord similar to explorer, but it would be just an optional thing. Trying to make the game open world only, you'd have to be insane...

My next project is going to be in a consoomer engine like Unity. As a sort of curiosity, and maybe a place to draw inspiration, I have been asking people in the Explorer discord to talk about video games in general; and especially the kinds of things people would want in a "dream game" where we aren't limited by technology and deadlines etc.

If anyone wants to check that out, join the discord:

or a new terrain generator...
Oh, I feel you about overall all the things but especially about this.

Although a new "node-based" terrain system might be better for Explorer! since it will provide pre-made maps for each coordinate by default and they are always static.

My next project is going to be in a consoomer engine like Unity. As a sort of curiosity, and maybe a place to draw inspiration, I have been asking people in the Explorer discord to talk about video games in general; and especially the kinds of things people would want in a "dream game" where we aren't limited by technology and deadlines etc.
Makes sense. It's better to go away from Warband's strange module system to breathe a bit as well.

Back
Top Bottom