SP Native Explorer! - Source Code Released

Users who are viewing this thread

I have chased down a deer, dismounted to get the meat, then an army of animal rights activists stomped me into the ground. :grin:

DtheHun said:
I have chased down a deer, dismounted to get the meat, then an army of animal rights activists stomped me into the ground. :grin:

Ditto but with me it was a boar. Unfortunately, other parties can't distinguish hunting from hostility - bared weapons = auto attack.

Explorer was a fascinating experience. Initial reactions:

1. Crossing grid corners was disorientating.
2. Crossing into mountain barriers was horrible - troops packed like sardines in a gully where it was tough to find an exit.
3. Almost impossible to identify friend from foe in the heat of battle - can troop labels be reinstituted?
4. Problem exploit - it was too easy to sidle up to a party & recruit their strongest members before drawing a weapon & slaughtering the rest.
5. I got totally lost, which added to the experience, but a mini-map guide would be awesome.
6. Loved the animals running through scenes.
7. Larger parties were often difficult to lead when horses all coagulated into knots.
8. I didn't mind the travel time even though I couldn't find A or B
9. I loved being barred from Distar Castle (presumably I'd attacked the wrong party) and then subjected to a fusillade of arrows from its battlements.
10. Once inside a general goods shop in Tulga there was no menu option to buy things.
11. None of my party seemed to care that I couldn't buy them any food.
12. Any chance of a compass? Being given a direction after crossing a grid didn't help me much.
13. I couldn't work out looting & was particularly disappointed about not being able to retain horses acquired in battle, but that's vanilla Warband.
14. Being inept at telling friend from foe, I died a lot, which meant I kept becoming someone else - randomly moving from someone with great stats and equipment to someone else who was as useless as me.  :grin:
15. Caravans and parties of farmers looked great.
16.  Sometimes sky boxes clouded over with shield textures unless I camped to refresh the scene.
17. I never had a precise idea of how many companions were with me at any time.
18. Are any parties hostile if I keep my weapons sheaved? I don't think I encountered any.
19. Riding into a battle in progress between two other parties was strange. I didn't know what to do or which side I'd end up on if I drew my sword.

Overall it was an amazing demo of something I had considered impossible with the Warband engine. Great job Ruthven. I'll be fascinated to see how you refine the gameplay and concept.

PS I was playing with the first patch added.

You know, I might download Warband again after all these years just to see how you did this. I've been thinking of various ways this could be achieved for a rather long time now, but I never had a particularly strong desire to investigate. :razz:

Looking great so far though, keep up the good work.

Plasquar said:
Wow... this looks amazing.

Why is it a "Demo"?
Will the game end at some point or do you just play to add more features in the future?

Because, it is still WIP

Back in my days a demo just ended at some point. 
That's why I asked. :wink:

Ruthven said:
- No more "regular recruits", every recruited NPC is given a name and treated as a companion

That sounds especially interesting. I might play it soon.

Wow, I've caught a few big fish here it seems!

NPC99 said:
Hey thanks for the great feedback! I kept trying to reply to some of these, but I ended up just patching most of them:  :grin:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/explorer1/downloads/explorer-patch-2

fladin said:
Wow, you really did it  :shock: just awesome!

(Unfortunately, I forgot to launch WSELoader ...  :oops:)
Wow, cool! And look at all those bugs  :facepalm: I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!

You're not the only person to make a youtube video; Reformist made one which I'll post here:
Not quite sure my demo was ready to meet the world yet.  :lol:  But I appreciate it from both of you! I don't have any videos of my own yet.

Lumos said:
You know, I might download Warband again after all these years just to see how you did this. I've been thinking of various ways this could be achieved for a rather long time now, but I never had a particularly strong desire to investigate. :razz:

Looking great so far though, keep up the good work.
I'd love your opinion from the dev/design side if you ever do! I'm guessing my solutions to the basic problems aren't too different from what you might have done.

Callum_TaleWorlds said:
This is mind-blowing. Great work! Looking forward to testing it out this weekend. :grin:
With Armagan and the lads, right?  :mrgreen:

Plasquar said:
Wow... this looks amazing.

Why is it a "Demo"?
Will the game end at some point or do you just play to add more features in the future?
I called it a "demo" because it is decidedly unplayable. There are no interesting restrictions, no simulated world economy or politics, very few dialogue/RP options, totally devoid of most of the most basic expected features of any game this style. But, you can test a specific part of the game ad infinitum: Recruit companions, travel around, engage in fights with other parties, lose companions, repeat.
So, it's really just a demo of one basic feature or category of features: How to move and interact without the overland map. But everything else is a (slightly self-aware) placeholder. Hope that helps!

Wow! :party:

Now I can actually get well and truly lost while I wander Calradia in my usual dazed and confused fashion! :razz:

So far, I've managed to get my troops slaughtered by trying to help a party against some bandits, but Oops! :shock: They decided I was trying to help the bandits! :facepalm:

This is just awesome! :smile:
I'll get the hang of it ... eventually. :mrgreen:

Thanks so much!! :party:

(P.S.: Are there any plans for parties to have banners of respective kingdoms? Maybe I haven't survived long enough, but I haven't noticed them yet.)

AJIexander said:
I applaud standing! I hope in Mount blade 3 it will do.
Haha, thank you? Me too

OldGreyBeard said:
Wow! :party:

Now I can actually get well and truly lost while I wander Calradia in my usual dazed and confused fashion! :razz:

So far, I've managed to get my troops slaughtered by trying to help a party against some bandits, but Oops! :shock: They decided I was trying to help the bandits! :facepalm:

This is just awesome! :smile:
I'll get the hang of it ... eventually. :mrgreen:

Thanks so much!! :party:

(P.S.: Are there any plans for parties to have banners of respective kingdoms? Maybe I haven't survived long enough, but I haven't noticed them yet.)
Banners are being re-implemented in the next release stage, everyone in the demo just uses one of the neutral Native banners.

Jezze said:
PLAY PLAY PLAY!
Nogay.San said:
Idea is good really, I hope I will encounter with some troops when playing this :grin: ,
Thanks both for the support :smile:

I don't have any screenshots to show off, but I'm pushing to get a more polished release sometime this month. Right now I'm working on NPC/kingdom parties, factions, etc. I've also mostly completed a new party management screen that can be used while travelling. I'll try to do another proper update soon.

Hi.  :smile:

Small update here: I'm trying to get out the Alpha version soon! I won't have time to flesh things out as much as I would like, but a lot of the "schemes" are already in place...

For now, here's a video of (some) of what you can do when raiding a village. This video actually didn't turn out very exciting... But oh well. Hope you like it anyway!

Back
Top Bottom