nZwTu.png

"We've never heard
About a marvel quite so great,
For all the heroes who have lived
In history can't measure up
In bravery against the Maid.”
― Christine de Pizan"

Description:

Deeds of Arms and Chivalry is a modification for Mount & Blade: Warband which focuses on the Hundred Years War between France and England, specifically during the early 15th Century.

Though we strive to be historically accurate in as much areas as possible, the mod is a work in progress and some areas haven't been fully realized yet or are not yet up to our standards.

This mod uses Diplomacy as base, with major modifications to the codebase (by Seek N Destroy and Khamukkamu).

You can see all of Diplomacy's Features here: Diplomacy

Team:
  • Seek N Destroy (Scripter, Asset Wrangler, All Around Awesome Guy)
  • Khamukkamu (Scripter, bug creator, scope creep master)

Features:

Campaign:
  • Diplomacy Features
  • 4 major factions (France, England, Burgandy, Brittany)
  • Start as Ruler / Lord / Vassal
  • New starting options
  • New soundtrack
  • A map of France (courtesy of the Hundred Years War mod team)
  • Over 200 historical lords, ladies and their respective banners
  • Family relations between the added npcs
  • Troop Tree presentations and various troops trees for each faction
  • Armor customization through the armorers in towns
  • AI upgrades its settlements
  • Improve your weapon / armour
  • Heraldic & Waving Banners / Pennons
Combat:
  • Formations / FormAI v5 by motomataru
  • Alternative weapon modes for some weapons
  • Overhead attacks for polearms
  • New morale system by Autolykos
  • Bodysliding

Screenshots:
carte_dac_late_2019.png

Start_as_Historical_Character.jpg

Start_as_Vassal.jpg

20200109192319_1.jpg

20200109191904_1.jpg

20200109190610_1.jpg

20200109190532_1.jpg

Future Plans:
  • Mercenary Camps and Companies
  • Minor Factions
  • New Quests
  • New Starting Options
  • Troop Trees overhaul
  • Replace outdated assets and add new ones
  • Custom scenes (relying on OSPs now)
  • Modified version of Freelancer

Notes:
  • Scenes may be repetitive. We will slowly replace each one by one.
  • Currently a soft launch as we gather bug reports.

Credits (WIP):
Code

- motomataru for Formations / FormAI V5
- Diplomacy (Somebody,Waihti, zParsifal)
- Autolykos
- In-Game Armour Customization (Somebody)

Models and Textures

- Wooden Scene Props Pack 1.2 - Adorno
- The Historic Lords Project - thick1988
- Warband UI Retexture - Rohzdear
- Map Icons Pack - Slawomir of Aaarrghh
- Tavern Animation Pack - Slawomir of Aaarrghh
- Skyboxes - ShaunRemo
- Narf's Plate Armour Pack - Narf of Picklestink
- Overhaul of weapons2.dds - Leonion
- Narf's Men-at-Arms Armour Pack - Narf of Picklestink
- Medieval armor sets - Maroon/The Full Invasion team
- medieval helmet pack - dejawolf
- Narf's Transitional Armour Pack - Narf of Picklestink
- Face Improvement Project - Iboltax
- Al Mansur packs - Al-Mansūr
- The Last Days (some textures and scripts) - The Last Days team
- Lucas's weapons - Lucas_the_Benevolent
- Lucas' OSP Weapons II - Lucas_the_Benevolent
- Medieval and Renaissance weapons - Lucas_the_Benevolent
- Highlanders models - Yamabusi
- Battlefield Priests for Calradia - Yamabusi
- iggorbb LSP - iggorbb
- Pino's armor pack - pino69
- Heraldic knight armor - bogmir
- Shredzorz's OSP stuffs - Shredzorz
- Late Western Medieval Helmets - thick1988
- Sonyer's pack - sonyer
- Open Source Project - Weapons - RR_Raptor65, The Pope, James and Luigi
- 1.3 Yiyang Chen's new faces textures - Yiyang Chen
- 15th Century 'Englyshe' Plate Armour Pack - LordBaraban
- Grim Age - Furok and Grim Age team
- Swadian Interregnum 1387 - thick1988
- Scabbards - Charles de Tonkin
- Sword Textures - Antonis

Scenes

- Native Scene Replacement Pack - The Bowman
- The Ultimate Scene Pack - Gokiller
- Mount & Blade Modding Contest Scenes - Various Authors (see thread)
- Le Profyteur
- Adorno
- SageMcQuincy
- Suspicious Man
- Mauromagno
- Kazzan
- Iceqatius
- Dragonfire
- Rigo

Music

- BenjaminR
- Jon Sayles
- Kevin MacLeod
- Twin Musicom
- Shane Ivers

and of course, the TW Community

Changelog
February 5th, 2020 Update

New Features:
- Start as Lord / Ruler or Vassal
-- You can now choose to start as a Historical Lord / Ruler of a faction
-- You can also choose to create your own character but as a vassal of a faction
- Heraldic Waving Banners
-- Lances with Pennons / Banners can be equipped. They are wavy :smile:
-- Banners add a slight morale boost to troops.
- Improve your Weapon / Armor
-- Speak to a Weaponsmith / Armorsmith to improve the modifier of your weapon / armour
- Bodysliding
-- Control your troops in the field when your character is defeated.

New Music by BenjaminR
- Amazing period-piece renditions by BenjaminR. He'll be creating original tracks for Deeds of Arms & Chivalry. Listen to his portfolio here: Soundcloud.com

New Scenes by Rigo
- Historical Scenes created by our new scener, Rigo

Other additions / Fixes:
- Dual Morale system fixed: now a different morale system triggers depending on the number of combatants in the field.
- Firearm animation added
- Fixed helmets covering the headmesh in arena battles
- Changed some bandits spawning in towns
- Fixed tournament equipment having strength requirements
- Some fixes and updates to non-mainline units
- Changed Denars to Crowns
- lutes and lyres will not show on musicians back if they have more than one
- Outfitted recruiters and Messengers
- Changed troop hire costs
- Changed default deathcam to mouse and keyboard
- Fix grain quest
- Start battle holding position with > 1 tactics
- Improved Siege Tower Mechanics by Somebody
- Added Bannermen to all factions
- Remove Ramun
- Remove condition when talking to Travellers and asking for location of other people
- Changed default formation to shieldwall
- Changed Formations spacing
- Review Troops shows all troops
- Don't let AI control player troops after death as default
- Don't allow three tournament teams for now due to bug
- Tweaks to lord defection
- Fixed banner map icon for fief not updating when selecting or changing banner
- Reset controversy for lords after being indicted.
- Added travelling tailors
- Added more ransom brokers
- Lots of scene fixes

Download:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice start, after a lot of work, and worry. Thanks team.

But knights' shields are a bit passe by " the early 15th Century ", no ?

Dare I ask how your original creation here might play through compared to 1429, with all its enchanting quirkiness ?

Ningauble said:

:smile:
You are a little mistaken ... Shields have been used for a long time.
Everything depended on the specific goals facing the knights.
And those opponents who stood opposite them on the battlefield.
:smile:

Cavalry shields become smaller and their use start entering in decline as the armour improves over the time but they are still used in the early 15th century as far as I can tell. There are a few models to replace though.

This is a new and different mod and one does not replace the other. Our plans for the future are included in the first post, enjoy and happy holidays!

Ningauble said:
Nice start, after a lot of work, and worry. Thanks team.

Good remark and yes, it's in in the 1425-1430's that knights give up shields cause their armors "harnois plein" or "harnois blanc" are so effective they don't need it no more. I've read it but completely forgot this. We will try to think of that for a next update. Another good source is manuscript miniatures and sometimes some knights have shields and sometimes not.

We can see that here:
poton.png

Jeanne_richemont.png

There is also quite few armors not really accurate for that period, but the vast majority fit very well with the period.

We have also a lack of OSP models: armors with tabards of that period (very specific, new style of tabards coming with the new armors) and visored sallets. Also some civilian/nobles clothes/hats are quite missing. We did the best we what we have !

glasdale1429.jpg

1429 is a great mod very fun and very innovative with some really good scenes.

Ours is totally new (nothing of 1429 in our mod) and more focused on realism and historical accuracy. History nerds will enjoy the nobles with house accurate banners, family relations etc... The scenes are quite far from what we wanted to achieve. But with the fantastics The Bowman's scenes (i plan to customize them to make them look more 14th-15th century) and the great ones of Rus 13th century that Janycz generously shared with us (those ones are not OSP), the towns are quite good. Recruiting sceners last year was a real pain... And i'm not the best scener around :???:

Here a quick test i did like 3 month ago about how to customize The Bowman's towns with the awesome Al Mansur's props. Will probably be my main focus on the next weeks:
56F2434FB5EB538B46CAECCD82838B8A4521939A

gokiller said:
Looks and sounds good! Nice work and good luck with the future development of it!

Thx, i hope you will like how i modified/finished some of your OSP scenes ! You're the "father" of four castles in this mod !

I heartily recommend Ian Heath's classic " Armies of the Middle Ages " ( 1300 - late 15th Century ), Vol 1 ( West ) and Vol 2 ( East ), Wargames Research Group, as a handy, academic - referencing, source for all military aspects, including your " early 15th Century " ( already 1430 to be more precise, if your Philip the Good is 33 ...... so really " mid - 15th Century " ? ) models.

But then, I might be teaching you to suck eggs ...........

Good luck with your mod project! Looking forward for what it might become one day  :party:

Ningauble said:
They mentioned already in the first post that they will slowly replace model for model. I think for now they work with the meshes they have at hand and will be happy about every modeller joining their team. The last sentence however ruined the good impression you gave with the historical reference :roll:

Thank you [Bcw]Btm_Earendil; a pleasure to see you here :wink:

I know Ian Heath very good books but the drawings are often quite basics. I'll take a look at your other reference ! Indeed the mod starts at the begining of 1429 while Orléans is under attack and Jeanne is rising !

Indeed we would gladly welcome any modder who want to join the fun. We wanted to produce something to show the huge potential of the mod before starting "mass recruiting". And now we hope it will be easier to motivate people join in the team, this mod just need improvements and polishing to become stunning !!!

Personally, i have one year of scening left before Bannerlord modding tools (maybe more with TW you never know), so i think i will just polish this mod during that time.

This is a call to arms, raise your banners and join us !

What we are searching for:

- Worldmap maker

The worldmap is pretty good right now but could need some refinements.

- Sceners

I have "invented" a way of integrating realistic relief/terrain, the maps and the roads of castles/towns locations into a Warband scene using BladeEd and Tangram Heightmapper website. So the good news is i can give the terrain to sceners who want to join us ! I have collected maps of all cities and castles in the mod. With BaldeEd you can draw into the scene the map of the castles/towns with snow textures and the road in path textures so you just have to design the thing with props and make AI mesh !!! Here some exemples:

Here is the real terrain Chinon with the map of castle in snow texture and the roads in path texture
8917DF463ED2550B5F08B3BA437DAADA0451A400

Here is the terrain of the town of Tours
054E13103324DE8259B8AFA76B65BB1F7E4F7019

Here the terrain of castle "La Tour de Marmande"
9D2C597914B7E199056FA04F47F981FC707444F1

You can go on google earth compare with real terrain :wink:

I wanted badly to make one realistic castle with this method but i already have like 20 scenes to finish...

Also i have an idea for boosting the mod scenes creations i will talk of this later ! :roll:

- Modellers

This is without doubt the skills we lack the most ! Painting/improving the mesh of the worldmap under Blender was epic for me !

If you have no previous work into modding to show, i will ask very motivated people who have no experience at all and want to help making scenes to try to make a scene as an entry TEST, i will be here to help them learn if needed. But with Bannerlord coming i have not much hopes there indeed.

In a soon future we will probably open our discord and people who have good knowledge of history or skills can join in and speak and debate about historical accuracy, bugs, features !

[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
Good luck with your mod project! Looking forward for what it might become one day  :party:

Ningauble said:
They mentioned already in the first post that they will slowly replace model for model. I think for now they work with the meshes they have at hand and will be happy about every modeller joining their team. The last sentence however ruined the good impression you gave with the historical reference :roll:

The phrase " teaching your grandmother to suck eggs  " means you are trying to explain something to someone who is already an expert, better than you at it ............. it is not a put - down, it is a ( somewhat ironic ) compliment.

Ningauble said:
[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:

Ningauble said:
The phrase " teaching your grandmother to suck eggs  " means you are trying to explain something to someone who is already an expert, better than you at it ............. it is not a put - down, it is a ( somewhat ironic ) compliment.
Ettenrocal said:
I understood it like that :grin:
I didn't, sorry for the missunderstanding then.

I was not totally 100% sure too about the meaning, must be a typical english expression. We could add it into a english NPC dialogue ?  :smile:

More castles in a very near future WIP !

29C6D40C4BDF64A2674B83252A540B64171DB995

42DC61D0E30932CAA5F79E0AC78213422406DFA5

With all this crack team's hard work this will be great as a Warband 15th Century immersion mod.

However, the elephant in the room is Fantasy Warrior's 1429. I find your situation interesting - what will be your Deeds of Arms and Chivalry " special touches ", especially re quests ( a 1429 strength )?

Will you have a French Resistance questline ...... considering the historical inspiration, that could not be seen to tread on any IP toes of 1429, surely ?

Likewise a secret Templar treasure ( a well known legend ) quest .......  And assassination quests ( anyone can come up with those, for any era )........

But how about novel, " never seen before " quests, and many and varied other  " differentiating " enhancements ............ vive la difference !

How about feeling free to revamp tournaments ?  Especially having one on one jousting !  Pourquois pas ...... again, a history - inspired idea that anyone can come up with, anytime, and go on to (re)create in their own way ........

I'm not playing devil's advocate here. All else being equal between well made mods, great quests, and other innovations, will make one a stand - out.

Anyway, at the end of the day it is not so different to having two mods of Genghis Khan going head to head, or The Crusades, or Samurais, or George RR Martin's thing, or The Lord of The Rings, Rome .......

first of all, I  don't think modders have to prove anything to anyone by doing something different just because :wink:

most of the time we make what we want to play (I do). also some people may just want more Warband but in a different setting. for instance, Star Wars Conquest is basically Mount & Blade in the Star Wars universe.

however, to answer your question:

We are doing everything in phases.

The first phase is basically Diplomacy mod set during the Era. make sure it is playable and as bugfree as possible. we are experienced modders and want to make sure we deliver as good as an experience possible. whats the point of new, unique features when the core gameplay loop is broken/buggy?

this first release is that.

we have a lot more planned, so stay tuned for these, but again, these require time to fully flesh out and design.

Indeed we could do many things. But don't worry we have cool features in the pockets. Even if it's really fun making a mod, don't forget this is a free work. French rebels indeed could be really interesting; 1v1 realistic tournaments would be amazing but not priority at moment sadly ! You maybe know that historically tournaments were done only in peridod of peace so ^^ We are like you wanting all those cool things but making them is another thing :ohdear:

I'm very admirative of Khamukkamu and S&D work cause i'm first of all a player more than a modder and they have deliver a very strong base build. As a player i remenber how disapointing could be much of first releases.

Many quest of 1429 are more near to fantasy than history (templars and freemasons that's fun but nothing to do in that period). Doesn't mean it's bad in any way doesn't mean it was not fun ! fantasywarrior was a "one man army modder", personally i'm just lazy and i learn very little things trough the years by listening experienced modders even if the funny thing is i probably started modding and scripting before them on Baldur's Gate, and i am way older than them :mrgreen: (not as old as my profile picture but...) !

A day you play warband, a day you have a message of Kham asking you to help him with history things, and two years later your mod is showcase by The Reformist. The guy you usally watched videos of other mods :shock: Discovered what let's play is with the Reformist.

ok ok i get back to scening... (old people like to talk)

I'm sorry if this is a bit out of order ( here we go again, the sucking of eggs thing ! ), as the modding community is likely all better connected than I can even guess at ...... but this is obviously such a big, ambitious ( even a show case ) project - if you are looking for more very good, experienced, Devs on your team then approaches to NPC99 ( English Civil War, likes maps, I believe ) and Zedpaolo ( now wrapping up Sparta, excellent scenes ) might bear fruit.  Just trying to help .......

Back
Top Bottom