B Medieval [WB] Crusader - Way to expiation

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince of Thieves is pants. Kevin Costner produces the worst attempt at an English accent since **** Van Dyke's cockney, in fact he doesn't even attempt one. His awfulness can't even be surpassed by Russell Crow's Irish- Liverpudlian Robin Hood. The best version of the Robin Hood legend is the 80s TV show Robin of Sherwood.

The only film Hollywood has ever produced that does a half decent job of depicting life in the Middle Ages is 'The War Lord', featuring Charlton Heston sporting a bowl haircut; but it has nothing to do with the Crusades. It's about a Norman knight defending a village against Frisian raiders.

if you're a 12 year old child then robin hood POT is the best film ever, but with morgan freeman playing morgan freeman and enough medieval cliches to make 3rd rate fantasy novelists slightly ill, it just doesn't hold up. besides a couple of opening scenes in generic turban-istan and a ridiculous cartoon scimitar, there's nothing in it about the crusades. thank goodness we're out of the 80s and early 90s.

hollywood has always churned out horrendous renditions of "historical" stories. but at least, for example, 300 decided to have some style to it. I reckon the ancient greeks would've loved that film.

jacobhinds said:
if you're a 12 year old child then robin hood POT is the best film ever, but with morgan freeman playing morgan freeman and enough medieval cliches to make 3rd rate fantasy novelists slightly ill, it just doesn't hold up. besides a couple of opening scenes in generic turban-istan and a ridiculous cartoon scimitar, there's nothing in it about the crusades. thank goodness we're out of the 80s and early 90s.

hollywood has always churned out horrendous renditions of "historical" stories. but at least, for example, 300 decided to have some style to it. I reckon the ancient greeks would've loved that film.

Not sure if you were serious with that last row. You gotta be utterly dumb to like 300.

jacobhinds said:

Did you like the 70s Taras Bulba, by the way? :razz:

of course the storyline is complete garbage, but from a cinematography standpoint at least they didn't just film everything like it was a soap opera or something, like so many other hollywood films. we look back on it with contempt but it was released during a phase of visually dull blockbusters.

anyway I need to stop, don't want to turn this thread into L'aigle :razz:

Captured Joe said:
Did you like the 70s Taras Bulba, by the way? :razz:

never heard of that...but it features cossacks so I guess it won't hurt to look.

jacobhinds said:

As a child of the 90s, I still love the film. Pretty much everything about it even. :smile:

I'd second the recommendation of Warlord. It's a story about some awful people, not many of the characters are very likeable. Kind of like "Flesh and Blood". Some of the costumes are bad in details, but overall they tried for historical accuracy with what they had at the time. Of course, there's ridiculous stuff like the
siege machines breaking a siege. What the hell that was, I don't know.
Still, the fighting is surprisingly fast. None of the bull**** beat-by-beat choreography that came later, Charlton Heston rolls off of hills, parries axes and does it all at speed with intent. Intense!

Mr.Milker said:
jacobhinds said:

As a child of the 90s, I still love the film. Pretty much everything about it even. :smile:

I'd second the recommendation of Warlord. It's a story about some awful people, not many of the characters are very likeable. Kind of like "Flesh and Blood". Some of the costumes are bad in details, but overall they tried for historical accuracy with what they had at the time. Of course, there's ridiculous stuff like the
siege machines breaking a siege. What the hell that was, I don't know.
Still, the fighting is surprisingly fast. None of the bull**** beat-by-beat choreography that came later, Charlton Heston rolls off of hills, parries axes and does it all at speed with intent. Intense!

Well, "The Vikings" is another movie one shouldn't miss, then.  :smile:

I love 70's Taras Bulba even if it's not very accurate. The 2009 Russian version on the other hand, has better costumes and setting, and it is way closer to the original novel (almost word-by-word actually, wich isn't good: the 19th century nationalistic death monologues don't translate well into cinema) but it lacks the charms of classic adventure films the old one had (and Yul Brynner).

Enough with the off-topicness. I really thought this was the movie recommendation thread :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom