MP Medieval [WB] Castle-Wars, Now with screenshots, videos and alpha download!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Castle-Wars: Battle for Supremecy

Yes, the next mod from the creators of the now defunct MageMod, this mod is focused on team based gameplay and tactics.

\/ DOWNLOAD HERE \/
      http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2486
      /\ DOWNLOAD HERE \/

I apologise for the file size, as it is not yet final, thus i have not gotten around to trimming the unneeded textures etc.

Any and all input on the mod would be appreciated.

The mod is being developed by the same two-man team as MageMod (koaandl and dark207).

WARNING: This mod contains more violent depictions, with more blood and nastier sounds than the original Warband, so please, if you have a weak stomach or dislike a lot of blood, DO NOT PLAY THIS MOD!

(At some point i may release a "G" version, with cut down violence and gore, but for now, it is only in the violent version)

Features:
      • 7 unique classes with different gameplay for each
      • Re-crafted sounds and particle effects for a grittier, more violent experience
      • Fast paced CTF style gameplay
      • Extensively play-tested and balanced classes, each designed to counter a specific other class
      • 8 sets of weapons and armor for each melee class
      • Two choices of ranged weapon for all range users, a quickshot option or longshot option, with 8 varying ammos
      • Eight new maps, featuring two bases each and multiple tactical points
      • More features to come as the mod matures!

% Done:
      • Classes (85%): Scout, Spearman, Yeoman, Armsman, Knight, Captain and Arbalist
      • Particle Effects (40%)
      • Battle Sounds (1%)
      • Weapons (See Below)
      • Armor (See Below)
      • Ammos (See Below)
      • Maps (10%)

Weapons:
      • Scout: 3/8 (42%)
      • Spearman: 3/8 (42%)
      • Yeoman: Bows[2/2], Swords[3/8] (56%)
      • Armsman: 1/8 (8%)
      • Knight: 3/8 (42%)
      • Captain: Flintlocks[6/6], Axes[3/8] (56%)
      • Arbalest: Crossbows[2/2], Maces[0/8] (10%)

Armor:
      • Scout: Helmets[3/8]|Armor[3/8] (26%)
      • Spearman: Helmets[3/8]|Armor[3/8] (26%)
      • Yeoman: Helmets[3/8]|Armor[3/8] (26%)
      • Armsman: Helmets[3/8]|Armor[3/8] (26%)
      • Knight: Helmets[3/8]|Armor[3/8] (26%)
      • Captain: Helmets[3/8]|Armor[3/8] (26%)
      • Arbalist: Helmets[3/8]|Armor[3/8] (26%)

In depth look at the classes (Screens in spoilers):
      • Scout - The fastest of all classes, the scout is designed primarily to capture the flag and deal with fleeing opponents. Armed with an arming sword, a buckler and throwing spears, his weapons are geared towards a hit and run defense; rather than a front on assault. His spears are designed for medium to medium-close range scrapping of weaker opponents, or crippling stronger ones. He is donned in lighter armors, such as furs, light chain and leather.
      109253549-4.jpg
      • Spearman - An average speed class, armed with medium armor and a variety of spears and polearms. The spearman is designed primarily as a scrapper, dealing with melee enemies. The spearman has a slower attack, but it hits heavily. While the spearman is ideal for such jobs as defending the flag or holding a chokepoint, his above average ranged melee weapons makes him ideal for ambushes on stairwells, or tower entrances. He is donned in medium armor, such as chaimail, splinted mail and half-plate.
      109253562-4.jpg
      • Yeoman - Slower than the other classes, but equipped with a heavy longbow, and medium armor, the yeoman is designed to be a long range scrapper, with arrows not heavy enough to piece heavier armor, but can easily pick off the weaker enemies, such as scouts and other ranged classes. The yeoman's longshot bow has the most accuracy over long range, making him as an ideal castle or fort battlement defender. Besides being skilled with a bow, the yeoman also has moderate sword skills, allowing him to deal with any weakened enemies that get close to him, or with appropriate skill, take on stronger opponents and ambushes. He is donned in light armor, such as furs and light chain, as well as splinted mail later on.
      109253581-4.jpg
      • Armsman - The armsman serves as an overall defender and attacker, capable of defending the flag or charging the enemy. He has an average speed and is armed with medium armor, such as chain and half-plate. He uses a variety of swords, as well as large, two handed swords. He serves as a general entry class, playable so newbies can get the hang of gameplay. His ideal positions would be defending the flag, protecting archers or harassing weaker enemies and defences, as well as culling enemy ranged players with appropriate dodging.
      109253537-4.jpg
      • Knight - The knight serves as a heavy attack class, but primarily as a defender. He has heavy armor and variety of two handed weapons. His overall weapon speed is very slow, making him more of a defender. While he is able to absorb a lot of damage, His slower weapons means he needs others to distract enemies while he lands a single crippling blow. He was designed ideally to be more of a group defense or tank, holding enough damage to allow his allies to stumble the enemy, allowing him to land a heavy finishing blow. He is donned in heavy armor such as plate, and uses slow two-handed weapons.
      109253589-4.jpg
      • Captain - The captain serves as a group leader, with the ability to head up assaults with his strong, large shield. He wears medium armor, such as chain and leather, allowing him to soak up some damage, but making him vulnerable to ambushes and flanking. His shield is large enough to cover most of his body, making it ideal to advance on ranged units. Accompanying his shield, he uses a side-axe, but due to the shield's weight, he is unable to parry with his axe. While he is heavily protected from the front, his lack of heavy armor makes him vulnerable from the sides and back, thus his need for having companions with him. In addition to his shield and axe, he has a flintlock sidearm, whilst it's extremely inaccurate at range, it is ideal to deal with an approaching enemy or two from a group before engaging the rest.
      109253601-4.jpg
      • Arbalist - The arbalist serves as a mobile ranged unit, with a strong crossbow. Both his crossbows are less accurate than the Yeoman's Longshot bow, thus with a fair shorter range, but they are quicker to steady and allow for more movement while aiming. Additionally, he is able to get the Zhuge-Nu crossbow, with a semi-automatic fire and 10 ammos per reload, allows him to greatly weaken groups of enemies before they get within range of his team mates. While being mobile, he has weaker armor than a Yeoman, only wearing leather and lighter mail to improve his movement, thus giving him a need to be protected by stronger units such as a Spearman or Knight.
      109253613-4.jpg

Reason and Inspiration behind features:
    (This is most likely a tl;dr passage, just skip over it if you want)
    I've played many games such as Team Fortress 2/Classic, Savage 2 and (Completely Lol-worthy) Castle Wars in runescape. I love games that are based on tactics and team work, but many of them lacked features that i'd want, and thus i decided to create the ideal "Castle Wars" game in M&B: Warband. I took the array of class types of TF, the Fortress attack and defense of Runescape's Castle Wars and the Gorey, Fast paced combat of Savage and Savage two, and mashed them up to create the ideal target for this game. While a lot of the features only go as far as my talents can go, I try my best to make it what I envision.

The gore and violence i decided to put in, because while warband originally had a fair amount of violence, i never felt it was "authentic" enough, and by authentic i mean over the top explosism of gore like in games such as FEAR and Mortal Kombat. And quiet frankly being a typical boy obsessed with games, i love violence. But aside from that, i love games that involve tactics and co-operation, such as TF2 (When players are actually paying attention to each other) and Savage 2. I'd put a longer explanation, but i can assure this is as boring to write as it is to read, though i'm sure someone is interested in it.

VIDEOS:

As for the random unclosed HTML tags, it's the forums odd editing system playing up, so ignore them.

To make the mod look even better, we are now using a variety of OSP models:

Narf's Armor Pack
    Andragorn's Weapon Packs 1
    Medieval Helmets Pack

Changelog:
    8/1/2011 9:23: Added details on new model packs
    8/1/2011 7:51: Added Videos
    8/1/2011 6:38: Armsmen now use 2h swords in place of spears.
    8/1/2011 3:46: Added Class Screenshots
    8/1/2011 3:08: Added various Armor
    8/1/2011 10:28: Added Armsman Armor
    8/1/2011 9:40ish: Mod Thread Made

darkrider231 said:
I like the idea, will definitely have a look when its done :grin:

I'm not entirely sure how much the warband community is for the whole teamwork tactical style gameplay, rather than just all out war and stuff, but let's hope it catches on! :razz:

I'm uploading four gameplay videos right now that show a variety of the classes, weapons and armors, as well as the blood effects and the start of one of the map.

Due to the recording method i used (Xfire video with stereo mix for sound), the audio is slightly behind.

Tis I, the other one that is helping, the one that is doing of the helping in this mod and the helper of this mod in the doing of making the mod.

Also the one with awesome ideas that koaandl doesn't seem to like, such as giving the spearmen a KETTLEHAT AND SURCOAT OVER MAIL.

Sounds nice! Although it seems ranged troops will be overpowered, as only the Captain and Scout have shields? Besides, the ranged classes seem to be fairly good in melee as well, maybe you should consider them having only weaker armor than mail or a dagger instead of sword?

The Balance is horrific at the moment, we have to tone a lot down and increase armour on some stuff too.

dark207 said:
The Balance is horrific at the moment, we have to tone a lot down and increase armour on some stuff too.

^ What dark said, most of the armors initially were just guesses on the value, trial and error makes it better :razz:

Arch3r said:
Sounds nice! Although it seems ranged troops will be overpowered, as only the Captain and Scout have shields? Besides, the ranged classes seem to be fairly good in melee as well, maybe you should consider them having only weaker armor than mail or a dagger instead of sword?

You have a point there, though I was attempting to get it more ye-oldy, basically so the archers who are designed to be long range (Yeomen with longshot bow, arbalists with longshot crossbow) have long reload times, thus giving units the chance to get close while they are reloading. Though, i will have to look into it more to make them less OP, as for them being good in melee, the Yeoman is supposed to be a hybrid class, primarily taking ranged, but good enough at melee to hold his own. Arbalist is the only "pure" ranged class.

This is looking pretty cool.
But may I suggest renaming 'Arbalist' (the correct word is 'Arbalastier' by the way) to Crossbowman?
Arbalastiers use arbalasts, which are basically metal crossbows.

Azrooh said:
But may I suggest renaming 'Arbalist' (the correct word is 'Arbalastier' by the way) to Crossbowman?

The "Arbalastier" is a person who uses the Arbalest crossbow, "Arbalist' is a slightly more modernized word for a person who wields a crossbow, and such was used in that term, rather than as one who uses an Arbalest crossbow.

koaandl said:
Azrooh said:

The "Arbalastier" is a person who uses the Arbalest crossbow, "Arbalist' is a slightly more modernized word for a person who wields a crossbow, and such was used in that term, rather than as one who uses an Arbalest crossbow.

Interesting. I looked it up, but I could only find definitions which refer to it as a shooter of modern or sports crossbows, or as an alternative spelling for arbalast.
I still think you should change it, but it's entirely up to you, and not a big deal either way.

Azrooh said:
koaandl said:
Azrooh said:

Interesting. I looked it up, but I could only find definitions which refer to it as a shooter of modern or sports crossbows, or as an alternative spelling for arbalast.
I still think you should change it, but it's entirely up to you, and not a big deal either way.

Jawohl,  When end comes to end, i just like the sound of "Arbalist" more than "Crossbowman", and it being more fantasy than historically accurate, who gives a nord's beard if the names a little off :razz:

EDIT: Just a notice, i am uploading an alpha version of the mod, it is very unfinished but i would like some outside input on it!

koaandl said:
EDIT: Just a notice, i am uploading an alpha version of the mod, it is very unfinished but i would like some outside input on it!

Do you have a server up for it? I'd host one, but I have my hands full with a minecraft server at the moment (that, and there are really nasty ping spikes every 10-15 minutes or so)

Azrooh said:
koaandl said:

Do you have a server up for it? I'd host one, but I have my hands full with a minecraft server at the moment (that, and there are really nasty ping spikes every 10-15 minutes or so)

Not atm, but once i get my warband ded server files up to date and set up, i will host one (albeit a small one).

Alright, got it all worked out and there is a test server up called CW_Testing, and i apologise in advance for any lag, my net isn't that great.

Quick edit, in case anyone noticed, all items are 0 gold, that is not a bug and is intentional at the moment, as it makes the testing process easier.

Hehe i was thinking a Dota Mod, but it is stolen now, i guess i will do it anyway :grin:

Back
Top Bottom