• The forum has been updated. For an explanation of some of the changes, head over here.

[WB] Bows used with shields [Discussion]

Currently viewing this thread:

Eärendil Ardamírë

Subforum Moderator
WBWF&SM&B
Nah, I don't think so. While it makes sense for the player to check it every second so (s)he doesn't exploit it (giving that it won't be a clickable option like Tocan suggested above but alas, many item variants), the NPCs are only switching between their weapons at specific occassions (like the range towards enemies). Having them for two seconds the big shield in the same hand as the bow wouldn't break the immersion a lot, given that you normally would also first pick the bow from your back before putting the shield there.

In Vain

Count
If you must, you can create a trigger that fires every second, every tenth of a second, or every frame, and run the agent loop 10m around the player position, that would make it lighter.

You can run the player only trigger at every frame, too, with little performance loss.

I highly doubt though NPCs unwielding their shields would be very noticeable.

Tocan

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Nice thread! I was to tired to think about check for shield size instead. That would cut the monster in the half...

Yeah, that'd require an identical entry for a bow with a two_handed flag. A bit pointless, really. Oof, that simple thing has more meat to it that I figured. I love it.
What do you think about a small penalty for using it with a shield?

Eärendil Ardamírë

Subforum Moderator
WBWF&SM&B
What do you think about a small penalty for using it with a shield?
Which could bring up the potentail of getting a malus when shooting with shields since then the players would have to decide for either going with better shooting abilities or for more cover, so the idea here expands already :lol:
Would make sense for me. The penalty could also depend on the shield size, weight and/or the shield skill

Antonis

Marquis
WBWF&SVCNW
Yes, a penalty is a pretty good idea. I haven't done anything to change item values directly before (not counting skill modifiers based on items, of course). Is there any script that changes that, apart from the modifier one? Something for, say accuracy or speed? From what I searched, I didn't find anything.

Also, and since that's a mostly theoretical thread, while I searched in the item operations, I found that: cur_item_set_material
It basically changes the material of item in question at will. And I know that the team of Deeds of Arms and Chivalry re-UVmapped their swords to use just UV map and re-textured it 2 times, one for 'common' items and one for 'noble' swords, more rich and trimmed and elaborate. But since they use basically the same UV map, you could flawlessly make the use either one of those two textures. Which opens tons of possibilities, to make a custom smith, who would make a 'noble' variant of your weapon and what not. Just a side thought.

In Vain

Count
For penalties, use agent_set_accuracy_modifier or agent_set_ranged_damage_modifier.

For a smithing or item upgrading system, use item modifiers. Much more convenient. I think VC has a system like this?
cur_item_set_material affects all instances of an item.

Antonis

Marquis
WBWF&SVCNW
Yeah, I already have a smithing thing, mostly based on VC. Basically, it stores item modifier and if the player pays the smith, it upgrades the weapon or armor to the next modifier. Dialog based, using the weaponsmith and/or armorsmith dialoge, but it can be easily converted to a menu based thing, too. It would be cool to have a visual upgrade, as well, though. Still, that's a random thought on a lucky find, while browsing the operations file.

In Vain

Count
Erm, you can apply different meshes based on item modifiers :wink: IIRC, native does this, too.

Regarding bow+shield, I remembered that there's also a ti_on_item_wielded trigger. I've never seen it in action, but I guess it fires whenever an agent selects or switches a weapon. Might be lighter than performing an agent loop.

Antonis

Marquis
WBWF&SVCNW
Erm, you can apply different meshes based on item modifiers :wink: IIRC, native does this, too.
:shock:
That's news to me. :facepalm:
Ah, yes, there's a trigger like that. I've used it for magic spells (well, basically, pseudo-magic, where a sword increases strength if wielded). Sounds a good idea to try.

Top Bottom