SP Dark Ages [WB][BL?](S) 500 AD - The Dark Ages

Users who are viewing this thread

AelleCyning said:
Have you seen the size of Persia?

And no, this is historically accurate. I hate it when people try and dismiss something.  My mod respects history.

Under the Sassanid Empire? Its control was largely confined to the area around the Persian gulf, far from defining the whole of Arabia to extrapolate that most of the Arabs were Zoroastrians. I mean, I took my class on Islamic history and went over the primary sources on the pre-Islamic period quite thoroughly, and it most certainly wasn't mostly Zoroastrian from what I've read. I'm just saying I wouldn't generalize that far.

AelleCyning said:
Even so, my quote still stands, there were a lot of Zoroastrians, especially in Persia.

...You're not saying the Persians are Arab, are you?

Almalexia said:
AelleCyning said:
Have you seen the size of Persia?

And no, this is historically accurate. I hate it when people try and dismiss something.  My mod respects history.

Under the Sassanid Empire? Its control was largely confined to the area around the Persian gulf, far from defining the whole of Arabia to extrapolate that most of the Arabs were Zoroastrians. I mean, I took my class on Islamic history and went over the primary sources on the pre-Islamic period quite thoroughly, and it most certainly wasn't mostly Zoroastrian from what I've read. I'm just saying I wouldn't generalize that far.

AelleCyning said:
Even so, my quote still stands, there were a lot of Zoroastrians, especially in Persia.

...You're not saying the Persians are Arab, are you?

They're Iranians.

And sure, but I don't think you're seeing my logic:

5% Zoroastrian
1% Cult of Mubulu
1% Cult of Zwahulu
1% Cult of Mekitulu
1% Cult of Swadesh
1% Cult of Almalexia
1% Cult of Trump
1% Cult of Gunga

The Arabic polytheistic religions were quite different from each other. In the sample above (that I made up), Zoroastrianism is still the dominant religion, despite there being more pagans. It's hard to explain what I mean, but hopefully that shows what I'm trying to say. Despite there being a higher percentage of polytheists, it's not inaccurate (in my view, you are of course free to disagree) to say that the major religion was Zoroastrianism.

That's not how polytheism works: a special relationship with one god doesn't preclude belief in the rest. Otherwise Hinduism would be a much more (well, even more than it already is) divided faith, beyond the main sects of Shaivism, Shaktism, Vaishnavism, and a great number of others, which simply vary based upon which god they consider the "penultimate" one.

*EDIT*

Even if we accept your definition, which isn't really... well, anyways, going back the claim was that "most Arabs were Zoroastrian", which isn't the case.

I see, in that case most would be polytheists. And yeah, it's true the way I formulated it as first was false. I can see where the confusion arose, sorry.

AelleCyning said:
jacobhinds said:
The rise of Islam? Probably the most important historical event between 500-1000?

Thanks for the answer, though I'd disagree on most important.

But no. In 500 most of the Arabs were Zoroastrians, some Jews and Christians. Still pretty interesting.
Lol I meant the rise of Samo's Empire, one of the first slavic states

Dangerdude said:
AelleCyning said:
jacobhinds said:
The rise of Islam? Probably the most important historical event between 500-1000?

But no. In 500 most of the Arabs were Zoroastrians, some Jews and Christians. Still pretty interesting.

We were all wrong to make that assumption then, lol. Well, there are obviously Slavic tribes that predate Samo's Empire, if that still interests you?

AelleCyning said:
Dangerdude said:
AelleCyning said:
jacobhinds said:

We were all wrong to make that assumption then, lol. Well, there are obviously Slavic tribes that predate Samo's Empire, if that still interests you?
Yea it does, I just wanted to ask

Would be interested in voicing Norse, OE and others if this is to be a Bannerlod project. Have experience in a similar (unreleased) sub-project within a well-known WB mod.

Back
Top Bottom