SP Sci-Fi [WB] A Land Far, Far Away 0.1.1 (Map)(OSP)(WIP)

Users who are viewing this thread

A Land Far, Far Away
---------------------------
A map for Mount & Blade Warband based on the Star Wars galaxy.

Features:
- Entirely new map based on the Star Wars galaxy. All locations have been renamed and placed roughly relative to their galactic positioning.
- 135 villages. That's, like, 25 more than Native!
- Everything Floris has to offer, because you'll be installing it (maybe again) to play this.
- Bugs. Not everywhere that would logically have a port does, and I imagine there's a port city that's in the center of a landmass. I haven't tested it much. I've been drinking a bit and I think I might be jumping the gun here. But hey, you're welcome to check it out. It's kind of chaotic with the factions from Native applied, I paid no attention to fief ownership when changing the names of locations, it was just whatever unused thing I grabbed at the time. I'm sure someone out there might enjoy the challenge. It'll get better, I promise.

[list type=decimal]
[*]Install or copy your install of Floris (I recommend the Expanded Edition, the non-WSE, steam-friendly version) to a new folder. I recommend renaming it to avoid confusion (I use ALFFA,for short), as this process will make this module incompatible with any other Floris save games.
[*]Download this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbgrmuxjmx56xvd/ALFFA_0.1.1.zip?dl=0
[*]Unzip the files to the main folder of the version of Floris you created from step 1. It's only map.txt and parties.txt. Rewrite the existing files.
[*]Start a New Game.
[/list]

I compiled from the Floris Dev Suite, and I'm using "Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.54". I had no idea 2.55 was on the nexus, but all that's been changed are the map.txt and parties.txt files... So you should be able to drop the files into 2.55 as well. Heck, there's a chance it could work with any native-based mods like diplomacy. You're gonna need a mod with some kind of seafaring. No guarantees. It would entirely depend on if the mod makes any addition to module_parties. I have no ideas what bugs could result.

---------------------------

Original Post:
Hey everybody. For the last few weeks, I've been tinkering around with a map. The idea for the whole thing goes back a few years (like, remember when we all thought Bannerlord was going to happen?). I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel or anything here, just give y'all a new map with some new factions so we don't get too bored waiting for Bannerlord. You know, shuffle the items around, make it new again. We've all played too much PoP, Floris, Diplo...

If you're clever, you may have already guessed...

A Land Far, Far Away
A Star Wars inspired mod in a medieval setting for Mount & Blade: Warband
"Land, Ho! Island, up ahead, sir!"
"That's no island, that's a boat..."

sy4VO2o.jpg

As you can see, I just took a map of the Star Wars galaxy and drew over it. I ditched the idea of a "galactic north" so I could turn the Unknown Regions into an arctic wasteland. Little bit of work in GIMP, move over to Blender... Displace the height map...

EeCWITa.jpg

It's still a bit rough, as I haven't finished painting the textures, there are no rivers yet, and some of the shores/mountains still need some work. Towns/Castles/Villages are about 90% complete. If something should happen and I decide to abandon the work, I want to at least release the map as OSP. Right now, the push is to get the locations mapped out. With a nice module_parties file ready, I'll be able to get into module_scripts and make a playable mod out of it... for Floris... since boats are necessary.

Of course, I'm just one guy. It's taken me a few weeks just messing around with blender and bloodpass/cartographer to get the map to this point. I'm going to set up a github to make it easier if anyone wants to help, as well as to help me organize the project.

For now, the plan is...
  • Finish placing Town/Castles/Villages
  • Add rivers to map and make it pretty
  • Edit module_scripts to properly assign fiefs at game start
  • Early "Alpha" release on Floris base with Native factions

From there, it's a matter of really digging into the code...
  • Edit module_factions: Empire, Rebels, Hutt Cartel, Mandalorians (small faction, Boba Fett as claimant?), Droid Army (Added M4-78, make IG-88 claimant)
  • Edit module_troops
  • Edit module_party_templates
  • Edit module_scripts to properly assign fiefs to new factions
  • Beta release on Floris base

From there, I'd really like to move into Viking Conquest. Better sea faring mechanics, religion, etc. It'll take some "persuasion", but if AWOIAF can do it, I can too.

Mostly, this is just a new map with new factions and troops. I'm not looking to add a bunch of new armor or weapons, I just want to shuffle things around for a new experience.

So... thoughts? Anybody wanna help?

Edit:
If you'd like to check it out, here are the map.txt and module_parties.py:
map.txt
module_parties.py
Just drop those files into a map editor (I've been using Bloodpass).

Sound fun. While reading the description, an image of a medieval style, ornated stormtrooper armor popped into my head. Good luck!

This is a nice map. For a Star Wars setting I would have decided to choose a planet and show the battle and slow conquering for it. Then you would have a storyline for it, maybe a civil war which is tearing the population apart and which gave incentive for the Rebels to support the revolters etc. You only shouln't overload it then with all factions of the Galaxy. Let the Mandalorians be some mercenaries, the Hutts can be slave traders, the Empire can build up a local military force which might first support the local government but then tries to overthrow them as well. There are many options!

The start would only be to choose a planet out of the many existent in the Star Wars universe^^

[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
This is a nice map. For a Star Wars setting I would have decided to choose a planet and show the battle and slow conquering for it. Then you would have a storyline for it, maybe a civil war which is tearing the population apart and which gave incentive for the Rebels to support the revolters etc. You only shouln't overload it then with all factions of the Galaxy. Let the Mandalorians be some mercenaries, the Hutts can be slave traders, the Empire can build up a local military force which might first support the local government but then tries to overthrow them as well. There are many options!

The start would only be to choose a planet out of the many existent in the Star Wars universe^^

Eventually, I'd like to do a story mode. I've already thought it out a bit; it could be done almost just by adopting the VC story mode... Opening scene on Woden Ric becomes the opening scene from A New Hope, with Vader on the Tantive IV. Sven Bull Neck becomes Vader. Bede becomes Yoda. Readingum becomes the first Death Star battle. Ascedun becomes the destruction of the second Death Star. Etc. It would even be easy to make subtle changes and adapt the map to a Clone Wars era or post-ROTJ setting.

Technically, it's all just a matter of filling in blanks. The Star Wars universe is so thoroughly fleshed out with lore, it's just a matter of deciding which planets and characters to include. It's also kind of tricky deciding which characters make better NPC's, which could be claimants, and which would work better as just companions. The easiest method would be to have the same number of NPC's as Native (fewer bugs to sort out in module_scripts). I considered just swiping some of the work from Star Wars: Conquest (Like module_troops, so I don't have to type in 100+ names for characters), but some of the editors and extra scripts don't jive well. The best method I've found so far is to build certain module files from scratch based on Native, so hopefully I can preserve some functionality for Mod Merger scripts. Eventually, though, it's just going to be a matter of copy/pasting a lot.

Space Commander Nemo said:
[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:

Eventually, I'd like to do a story mode. I've already thought it out a bit; it could be done almost just by adopting the VC story mode... Opening scene on Woden Ric becomes the opening scene from A New Hope, with Vader on the Tantive IV. Sven Bull Neck becomes Vader. Bede becomes Yoda. Readingum becomes the first Death Star battle. Ascedun becomes the destruction of the second Death Star. Etc. It would even be easy to make subtle changes and adapt the map to a Clone Wars era or post-ROTJ setting.

Technically, it's all just a matter of filling in blanks. The Star Wars universe is so thoroughly fleshed out with lore, it's just a matter of deciding which planets and characters to include. It's also kind of tricky deciding which characters make better NPC's, which could be claimants, and which would work better as just companions. The easiest method would be to have the same number of NPC's as Native (fewer bugs to sort out in module_scripts). I considered just swiping some of the work from Star Wars: Conquest (Like module_troops, so I don't have to type in 100+ names for characters), but some of the editors and extra scripts don't jive well. The best method I've found so far is to build certain module files from scratch based on Native, so hopefully I can preserve some functionality for Mod Merger scripts. Eventually, though, it's just going to be a matter of copy/pasting a lot.

Don't forget to have a look at Star Wars: Bear Force II too, it's open source as well (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,375760.0.html)

Well, I think I'm about done with module_parties. I'm a few locations short of Native, with 18 cities, 40 Castles, and 110 Villages. Some locations may be better suited to different types (i.e. castle instead of village).

If you'd like to check it out, here are the map.txt and module_parties.py:
map.txt
module_parties.py
Just drop those files into a map editor (I've been using Bloodpass).

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for changes or additions. I'm just one Star Wars nerd, so I may have missed some notable locations. That said, I've tried to include every place I could remember from old Star Wars video games, comics, books, etc...

The map itself still needs some polishing. There are no rivers and the polygons are still a bit rough... Bridges are unused so far... I also have to figure out some of the coding details, like how the port scripts work. For now, I think I'm going to focus on getting the map playable. This has been a lot of work so far, I'd like to make sure I didn't waste all my time on an unusable mess. So, next up is sorting through module_scripts. Maybe, by the end of this weekend, I'll have something playable... Roughly playable...

Edit:
I got it working... kind of. Sometimes it loads, sometimes it doesn't. Lots of RGL errors about musket animations (?), not sure what is going on. The map looks horrible in game. Gotta spend some more time in blender. Also need to figure out how to compile the floris modules system (where is the build_module file? I copied one from native, but it throws a ton of errors), or ditch it for a blank start with plain native and add in a seafaring script.

Edit/Update:
Oh boy, everything is so touchy. Cartographer doesn't always import obj files right, so when I go over to Bloodpass, it loads up 90-degrees vertically rotated. The only fix I've found is to just try it over and over till it eventually spits out the file properly. You may ask, why am I using two map editors? Cartographer isn't very intuitive and doesn't allow you to edit the map, so I just use it as an intermediary between Blender and Bloodpass. From there I can more easily judge how to place/rotate objects, paint terrain, adjust wild polygons, etc. Of course, you need to spend a lot of time in Notepad++, copy/pasting data from a module_parties file that won't bork up the editor (It really only likes a clean, native-style file. using module_parties from a mod easily throws an error, even floris). So I've spent most of my morning just trying to get the map editable again...

Buuuuuut... I did increase the map size by about 25%, tripled the polygons (had fewer than native, no wonder it was so ugly) so I can smooth the terrain more easily, and added back in the few unused locations. So now I have to decide what to shuffle around; I have enough villages (may add more), but too few cities and castles. If I can match the numbers native has, I can basically make the map drop right into Floris, Diplomacy, or any other mod that uses the native map (or has exactly the same number of cities/castles/villages). So I guess I'm off to Wookiepedia to do some research.

ghfZKn0.jpg

...it works? IT WORKS.

Gonna take a wild shot here, but I'm pretty sure this is all you'd need to do...
[list type=decimal]
[*]Install or copy your install of Floris Expanded edition (The non-WSE, steam-friendly version) to a new folder.
[*]Download this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/weqn3y6o26ahcnf/ALFFA.zip?dl=0
[*]Unzip the files to the main folder of the version of Floris you created from step 1.
[*]Start a New Game
[/list]

...now, I guess I get into modifying how the lands are divided up. What a mess.

Space Commander Nemo said:
ghfZKn0.jpg

...it works? IT WORKS.

Gonna take a wild shot here, but I'm pretty sure this is all you'd need to do...
[list type=decimal]
[*]Install or copy your install of Floris Expanded edition (The non-WSE, steam-friendly version) to a new folder.
[*]Download this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/weqn3y6o26ahcnf/ALFFA.zip?dl=0
[*]Unzip the files to the main folder of the version of Floris you created from step 1.
[*]Start a New Game
[/list]

...now, I guess I get into modifying how the lands are divided up. What a mess.
This looks interesting enough to try for sure. Where would I get a mod like that? Is the Floris Expanded version from the forums good too? Or do we have to get it from workshop or something?

Vaegir Luchnik said:
This looks interesting enough to try for sure. Where would I get a mod like that? Is the Floris Expanded version from the forums good too? Or do we have to get it from workshop or something?

I compiled from the Floris Dev Suite, and I'm using "Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.54". I had no idea 2.55 was on the nexus, but all that's been changed are the map.txt and parties.txt files... So you should be able to drop the files into 2.55 as well. Heck, there's a chance it could work with any native-based mods like diplomacy. No guarantees, though, as there is at least one specific spawn location for sea raiders in Floris that isn't in Native. It would entirely depend on if the mod makes any addition to module_parties.

After messing around with it for a little bit, I must warn, it's buggy. Not crashy, but all I've done is shoehorn a new map and shuffle/rename locations. Not everywhere that should have a port has one, and I'm sure there are a few ports in the middle of a landmass... So be aware. Right now it looks and plays like someone took the native map and threw it in a blender.

Might I suggest using late Galactic Civil War as the starting timeline for the factions? You can have multiple Imperial factions with minor variations (specialties with better elite troops in different areas), the New Republic, and other minor factions. But I'd recommend against making Mandalorians a faction because their troops are overpowered as per the lore, and they were pretty much isolationist. Instead, make them a part of the New Republic and they can provide specialty troops in low numbers. It's a very interesting concept to fight with Star Wars factions but make them medieval. Good luck!

cody2224 said:
Might I suggest using late Galactic Civil War as the starting timeline for the factions? You can have multiple Imperial factions with minor variations (specialties with better elite troops in different areas), the New Republic, and other minor factions. But I'd recommend against making Mandalorians a faction because their troops are overpowered as per the lore, and they were pretty much isolationist. Instead, make them a part of the New Republic and they can provide specialty troops in low numbers. It's a very interesting concept to fight with Star Wars factions but make them medieval. Good luck!

You're actually spot on about what I'd like to do. I've played a ton of the Thrawn's Revenge mod for Empire at War, and I would like to eventually use the same setting. For now, I knew the hard part was going to be making a map and handling the locations. Since it's a lot easier to remove factions than it is to add them, I'm starting simple; just something to show off the map. If/when I get to porting the work over to Viking Conquest's source, I'd like to take advantage of the more complex political and religious systems, and the Imperial Civil War is the perfect conflict to fit that structure. I've actually already made a ton of notes on how I'd do it.

I had the same thought as you about the Mandalorians, but I decided to go with it anyway. This is how I'm handling it:

XzHMYQT.jpg

As you can see, I've been tinkering around in module_scripts and reassigned the fiefs to be faction-appropriate. I can only assign towns and castles, but I've tried to place the appropriate villages to ensure things were divided up how I wanted them to be. In this case, the Mandalorians only have control over Mandalore, with only a few supporting villages. I've done the same with the Droid faction and M4-78 (KOTOR fans, rejoice), since I thought another minor faction could spice things up a bit. Plus, there's that whole IG-88 taking over the Death Star thing, so I thought I'd give a nod to that too. I think it should be interesting to see how this setup plays out... the Empire controls about 75% of the map to start, so it could be really easy or really hard, depending on which allies you choose...

Edit:
I think I'm going to transfer over the map to Dickplomacy... There's a lot in Floris to dig through, and it's beginning to prove difficult to figure out. Something simpler should do what I need. So, off to copy/paste some more...

Back
Top Bottom