Ways to counter Rambo Cav?

Users who are viewing this thread

How does one counter this? Two separate times today alone I’ve seen solo cav wipe out entire PIKE formations without any loss, once with Vlandia, then with Khuzaits. It’s absolutely insane for this even to be a thing in the first place, and more or less equates to scoring a goal in soccer because the opponents aren’t allowed to touch the ball.

I really want to love this game but every other day some outlandish nonsense like this starts happening, not even including the sheer bossiness and bigheadedness of some newer people.

Last edited:
From my personal experience, I've had a decent amount of success by having a heavy or medium infantry be equipped with a spear and using the Loose formation when moving from point to point.

From my personal experience, I've had a decent amount of success by having a heavy or medium infantry be equipped with a spear and using the Loose formation when moving from point to point.
Yeah, it helps a little to have the armor but it the AI still don’t fight back.

It seems to me that the choices you have are rather obvious, though their success rate will greatly depend on how skillful of a player you are. First option is to defend by focusing down the rambo. Second one, probably the best option, is to go rambo yourself. If you do not like ramboing yourself you should accept getting abused like that. Either use superior tactics or be destroyed by them. Whether this is enjoyable and should be changed is a whole other discussion..

It seems to me that the choices you have are rather obvious, though their success rate will greatly depend on how skillful of a player you are. First option is to defend by focusing down the rambo. Second one, probably the best option, is to go rambo yourself. If you do not like ramboing yourself you should accept getting abused like that. Either use superior tactics or be destroyed by them. Whether this is enjoyable and should be changed is a whole other discussion..
and this right here is why I stopped playing Captain mode. It seemed like every other match was just me fighting rambo cav. Before they nerfed archers you used to be able to mess up solo cav pretty good with some archers just pincushioning them, but after the nerf the best way to do it was by hopping on a horse and going to **** up all their reserve cav, forcing them to actually fight you.

The problem with that was that I didn't want to play cav every match, so I just stopped playing.

all that remains is to wait for the developers to do something with Rambo. Fortunately, it looks like it will be relatively soon, and I can finally return to my favorite mode.

all that remains is to wait for the developers to do something with Rambo. Fortunately, it looks like it will be relatively soon, and I can finally return to my favorite mode.
Can you link something that comes from the devs? I would really like to know what exactly is planned.
I can imagine something like a respawn time that prevents players from treating their troops just as respawns.

For Spear infantry I've had good experiences with circle formation(no unprotected ends) and charge command short before the connect. This messes up the attackers spacing a bit and most importantly allows npc's to surround and punish the enemy.

For archers on the other hand circle leads to a lot of team kills. Best I've found is anti cav arrows, and fix direction to prevent unnecessary movement when the cav circles.

As a 250-330 ping player player depending on server I pretty much have to work along side my ai to beat quality Rambos. A few good tricks are mostly to do with using the environment, setting up your men with backs to a building is good because it limits the angle the cav can attack from because of fear of hitting the wall and rearing themselves and they can't use couch effectively. There is only 1 location where your can't do this at c flag in jawali, but b and a on that map are both really good for it. f1f3 at last second in a short burst when the cav is coming in and then bring them quickly back to position ready for the next pass, as the captain stay with your men, predict the side the cav will pass on and be there to pressure them to turn to close to your men or make them give up the charge.

Imo light pike inf suck, they are too slow at turning and always seem to be busy looking elsewhere lol heavy inf with spears is the way to go if you want to be prepared for Rambo. Also if you take light pike inf sand the Rambo decides to not pick cav your a liability for your team with your unit choice

B at jawali there is a tight spot between a building and a tent, cram your men in there and this gives the Rambo a really hard time getting an angle, if they come in they usually hit an object or one of your spears. It's also the best place to put your non spear (2h especially) inf if your defending from Rambo for the same reason. Any horses that get caught up there are as good as dead. Look for similar crammed areas or slim choke points to further reduce the Rambos angles on other maps

Last edited:
Can you link something that comes from the devs? I would really like to know what exactly is planned.
I can imagine something like a respawn time that prevents players from treating their troops just as respawns.

For Spear infantry I've had good experiences with circle formation(no unprotected ends) and charge command short before the connect. This messes up the attackers spacing a bit and most importantly allows npc's to surround and punish the enemy.

For archers on the other hand circle leads to a lot of team kills. Best I've found is anti cav arrows, and fix direction to prevent unnecessary movement when the cav circles.
Nothing concrete yet, but I'm already happy that they tackled this problem. Before that there was only silence.
NIN3 said here
While these changes are very Skirmish focused, there will be a more dedicated Captain mode balance + content update, but that is pending a little bit until we address the Rambo issue with game mechanics.

IMO:
Im not sure the Rambo issue can be solved so long the Capt. maps is so small, whatever change would kinda ruin the experience because it would nerf SOMETHING that prolly/seem to work if the maps was bigger. Please do correct me, but Captain mode is suppose to be mostly a strategic mode and you wont get strategy from such small maps, it will always only be tactical. Rambos would be much less of a problem on bigger maps where they would have to spend time traveling to the various fronts

Yeah, with archers my best results thus far have been to line them up in “battery” formation and spacing on a hill so they fire over each other while being tight enough to stop any AI cav, but it just straight up doesn’t stop Rambo.

As a 250-330 ping player player depending on server I pretty much have to work along side my ai to beat quality Rambos. A few good tricks are mostly to do with using the environment, setting up your men with backs to a building is good because it limits the angle the cav can attack from because of fear of hitting the wall and rearing themselves and they can't use couch effectively. There is only 1 location where your can't do this at c flag in jawali, but b and a on that map are both really good for it. f1f3 at last second in a short burst when the cav is coming in and then bring them quickly back to position ready for the next pass, as the captain stay with your men, predict the side the cav will pass on and be there to pressure them to turn to close to your men or make them give up the charge.

Imo light pike inf suck, they are too slow at turning and always seem to be busy looking elsewhere lol heavy inf with spears is the way to go if you want to be prepared for Rambo. Also if you take light pike inf sand the Rambo decides to not pick cav your a liability for your team with your unit choice

B at jawali there is a tight spot between a building and a tent, cram your men in there and this gives the Rambo a really hard time getting an angle, if they come in they usually hit an object or one of your spears. It's also the best place to put your non spear (2h especially) inf if your defending from Rambo for the same reason. Any horses that get caught up there are as good as dead. Look for similar crammed areas or slim choke points to further reduce the Rambos angles on other maps
Got it, so take advantage of bottlenecks and hard walls. Thank you!

2. share knowledge on the forum.

Go ahead and share with the class, you who are so wise. Unless you don't actually have a real answer, in which case you should probably leave this thread be.
1. Get better mechanically and beat the Rambo cav, as has been stated in countless threads before by multiple individuals (including in this thread), and which this person is well aware of the answer as they have participated in one of these threads before. Usually I like to keep my answers brief and comical, yet with enough implied meaning that they express the point that I am trying to convey. Unless the person is unable to scrounge meaning from such a response, in which case they probably were not that interested in finding an answer.

FearSpear is a bit harsh but he is speaking the truth ..

First you must get better either at your personal mechaical skill or getting better commanding and using terrain somehow.
More or less whatever change they implement , rambo will always be present becouse this game is the way it is and its heavily dependent on personal skill.
You have no idea how having 1 good mechanical player can make a difference and make different outcome to end game...

One of the things that is particularly frustrating about having a few quality Rambos on the field is that every player feels compelled to choose an anti cav load out. This for me is my biggest pet peeve with ramboing. It reduces the game mode to a shell of it's potential when you talk about strategy of 2 balanced armies ready to counter anything vs everyone brace for getting Rambo'd

Back
Top Bottom