SP Fantasy Warsword Conquest - New Opening Post

Users who are viewing this thread

Are there magic caster equipment like staves that fire bolts? How do i make and play a magic caster character effectively? Is it possible to reduce cooldown? How does armor affect casting? How to get wizards?

pindabeep said:
Are there magic caster equipment like staves that fire bolts? How do i make and play a magic caster character effectively? Is it possible to reduce cooldown? How does armor affect casting? How to get wizards?
1. There is not anything normally acquirable that allows you to fire bolts outside of the minor missle spells you get when you choose your lore.

2. To make an effective caster, you need high Intelligence to raise the magic stat. You also need to keep you encumbrance under 23, not wear a shield while casting (it can be on back), don't be drunk (option in taverns), and leave one weapon slot open. You can select your lore at your race's towns. I recommend wearing light armor, then having a light 2 handed weapon, crossbow, bolts, and your lore item equipped. In field battles, drop your ranged weapon or 2 hander at the start of the battle so you can cast, then play your army defensively so you have time to build up magic. Cast your lore's relevant buff/debuff spells right before the armies clash, use your major missle spells to snipe large enemies (trolls, ogres, ushanti, etc), and save your Aoe for enemy reinforcements, since you can get a large amount of kills when they're tightly clumped as they spawn. Remember you can only cast 1 spell of each type during a phase (10 seconds), so if you have a lore with multiple buffs you'll need to pick which one to cast first.

3. Unfortunately, as far as I know the cooldowns are set as the spells say.

4. Having an encumbrance weight above 23 means even with high magic stat there's going to be a chance for spell failure. It won't make it fail all the time, but failures do take half the mana cost and incur a cooldown, so it's better to stay below it.

5. Faction spellcasters can be recruited from prisoners normally and I believe building the War Academy in towns will occasionally add them to the city's garrison.

Edit: I forgot, armor also effects how much magic you get back each phase. Above 24 encumbrance reduces the amount you receive.
Willpower is also fairly useful since you can use it to improve the chances of a successful cast when you haven't mastered a spell (magic stat isn't equal to the higher competency level).

Wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm not receiving any rents from fiefs, whether it be villages or castles.

I've held the fiefs for quite a while, and none of the regular reasons (bandits, looted, etc.) are the culprit.

I've tested it a handful of times, and I haven't received any rents in about ten paydays, give or take. I've even checked with my chamberlain immediately before the payday, and he says I should receive a certain amount of money. After the payday rolls over, again not receiving anything, I talk to him and he says I should expect 0 from rents.

Edit: For clarification, the fief names do not even appear on the weekly budget report.

Never encountered this bug before. Any suggestions?

Creldest said:
pindabeep said:
1. There is not anything normally acquirable that allows you to fire bolts outside of the minor missle spells you get when you choose your lore.

2. To make an effective caster, you need high Intelligence to raise the magic stat. You also need to keep you encumbrance under 23, not wear a shield while casting (it can be on back), don't be drunk (option in taverns), and leave one weapon slot open. You can select your lore at your race's towns. I recommend wearing light armor, then having a light 2 handed weapon, crossbow, bolts, and your lore item equipped. In field battles, drop your ranged weapon or 2 hander at the start of the battle so you can cast, then play your army defensively so you have time to build up magic. Cast your lore's relevant buff/debuff spells right before the armies clash, use your major missle spells to snipe large enemies (trolls, ogres, ushanti, etc), and save your Aoe for enemy reinforcements, since you can get a large amount of kills when they're tightly clumped as they spawn. Remember you can only cast 1 spell of each type during a phase (10 seconds), so if you have a lore with multiple buffs you'll need to pick which one to cast first.

3. Unfortunately, as far as I know the cooldowns are set as the spells say.

4. Having an encumbrance weight above 23 means even with high magic stat there's going to be a chance for spell failure. It won't make it fail all the time, but failures do take half the mana cost and incur a cooldown, so it's better to stay below it.

5. Faction spellcasters can be recruited from prisoners normally and I believe building the War Academy in towns will occasionally add them to the city's garrison.

Edit: I forgot, armor also effects how much magic you get back each phase. Above 24 encumbrance reduces the amount you receive.
Willpower is also fairly useful since you can use it to improve the chances of a successful cast when you haven't mastered a spell (magic stat isn't equal to the higher competency level).
Thank you very much!

avarchillion said:
First of all let me tell you that this Mod is truly great.
I loved the older versions already but the new version is even better. The whole magic system is easy to use and well thought out. Feels like it always should have been there.
It took me a while to get it to work on my Mac though but via Crossover its not that difficult.

Anyway after having played my little demonsmith chaos dwarf for roughly 70 days, I have found some things I would like to mention.
1. The first bug was my chaos warrior companion getting angry at me for selling prisoners (maybe he wanted me to sacrifice them, I don´t know^^) but still his holy indignation seemed rather silly. I just turned off companion opinions via the camp menu and thus that one was solved.
2. So far I have not seen any tournaments being held, which seems a bit strange.
3. I took a caste "Eregrad" or something like that, thus creating my own kingdom. Later I took "Wolfenberg" and thought I was now finacially set. But I was wrong. Somehow, even after having held two castles and two villages for a few weeks I still have yet to get any income from them. My treasury is constantly empty and I have to constantly put money into it just to keep my troops paid. When I ask my finance guy he always tells me that I have 0 income from all of my fiefdoms.
4. The income from my industrial buildings within friendly cities seems a bit erratic. Sometimes you get only 400 from a winery sometimes you get 1200 from the same place.
So with all those financial problems, I have to constantly fight and sell prisoners just to keep my troops paid which to a degree is fine but seems rather hectic by now, because I can never build up a strong financial base. Feel a little like Tilly, or Christian von Bamberg in the 30 years war, having to constantly pillage, war and plunder just to keep my guys paid....
5. Also so far I have taken some enemy lords prisoner but no one seems to want them back. Another financial windfall gone.
6. I don`t really understand why I fail at my spells so often. I am a magic user with 5 in Magic and 3 in Willpower. My encumberance is roughly 18. But in some fights I fail about 2 out of 3 spells I try, which is pretty strange to me.
7. In Sieges and Ship battles I have no magic. I know that that was intended but makes playing a magic user really weak in these battles. As a magic user I do not wear heavy armor and thus take a lot of damage easily. I also have not skilled in Ironflesh and don´t have the money to buy a whole set of secondary armor and weapons with me just so I can be of use in sieges and ship battles.
But there is a bug way around that. When in a siege battle, if I find and pick up cartriges they suddenly could as my basic spell "fireball" with unlimited amunition, but being unable to switch to other spells. Maybe in this bug lies the beginning of a not game breaking "magic in battles" patch?
8. I love healing potions but so far I have drunk the same healing potion time and time again. It is removed for the battle but reappeares in my inventor (and is reusable for the next battle) when that battle is over. Thats very cool but most likely unwanted.

So far my observations. Over all this is the least buggy and best version of Warsword Conquest I have played so far. I enjoy it very much and am very thankful for your hard work. If I could give you money for it, I would.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Avarchillion

I've been trying to figure out how to make it work on mac. Could you help me?

Helmuth said:
you cant use any kind of ranged weapon with magic, not even shurikens. if you have ranged weapons, magic cant be selected in battle. i dont know if is a bug.
i suppose you could drop your bow etc once you have the mp to cast a spell and pick up again when youre depleted. but guns cant even be equiped if you have magic. they just go back to the inventory.
youre pretty much forced to use a sword or spear as a wizard... not that i ever need to use them... when my school of heaven char uses lightning storm 30-40 enemies die in one second and my army murders the rest.

You can use ranged weapons, but you need a free weapon slot to cast. I personally take a sword, bow and arrows, and magic, then drop the sword in field battles or the magic in sieges. Otherwise I always forget.

minokz said:
>> keep you encumbrance under 23

my encumbrance is about 16, but still cannot guarantee casting without fail...

Failure is always a possibility if you don't have a magic stat higher than the upper competency level and, even with max magic, you can still fail if winds of magic rolls a 1. Lower encumbrance lowers the chance of failure and increases mana regained. Sadly nothing guarantees success in casting 100% of the time. Keep an eye on winds of magic and hold off expensive spells if you see that 1.

thanks for reply, another question:

how do "evil-race" gain honor? i play goblin & chaos dwarf, join tournament and win, then my honor points become negative, is that a bug?

I would like peoples thoughts on something, and I will also share my own.

I feel like the Necromancy school of magic could do with a slight buff to the numbers of summoned creatures.  With maximum magic (10) and no encumbrance (<15 because every Necro should wear a robe and carry a staff!), summoning 6 ghouls or skeletons in the lengthy cool down seems a little low.  I know you can double it if you summon on a pile of corpses.  I also play a bit of Skaven, and it seems like the Skaven magic has equal or better fodder summoning spells?  Thematically, it just seems like the Necromancy needs a slight buff to quantity (not quality) of summoned troops.

Do you agree, or am I off the mark here?
Great mod.  Cheers!

minokz said:

how do "evil-race" gain honor? i play goblin & chaos dwarf, join tournament and win, then my honor points become negative, is that a bug?

Its not a bug, chaos aligned races will get right to rule when they have high negatives reputation(-50 or more) && high renown. You can also get -reputation from raiding village and you know, other evil stuff. In case you worry about lords hating you for it, chaos aligned lords sure as hell dont care, -reputation is not a bad thing for goblin/chaos dwarf.

tannedrendang said:
minokz said:

Its not a bug, chaos aligned races will get right to rule when they have high negatives reputation(-50 or more) && high renown. You can also get -reputation from raiding village and you know, other evil stuff. In case you worry about lords hating you for it, chaos aligned lords sure as hell dont care, -reputation is not a bad thing for goblin/chaos dwarf.

Lords wont hate you but their factions will, i hope that's fixed at some point. High negative honor will get you in a perma all out war against all factions, which can get tedious.

Creldest
"You can use ranged weapons, but you need a free weapon slot to cast. I personally take a sword, bow and arrows, and magic, then drop the sword in field battles or the magic in sieges. Otherwise I always forget."

after reading your post tried again for ages and cant crossbow and shurikens to work with magic .
but i cant test normal bows, i have 0 power draw
does crossbow and shurikens / javelins work for you?

Helmuth said:
Creldest
"You can use ranged weapons, but you need a free weapon slot to cast. I personally take a sword, bow and arrows, and magic, then drop the sword in field battles or the magic in sieges. Otherwise I always forget."

after reading your post tried again for ages and cant crossbow and shurikens to work with magic .

Bows and crossbows both do (specifically the shadow bow and dark elf repeating crossbows), but I haven’t specifically tried any thrown weapons.

Edit: What lore of magic are you attempting it with? I’ve been confirming it with Slaanesh, bright, and heaven.

Helmuth said:
Creldest

You can't take a sword, bow+arrows and magic together - you need a FREE slot, in addition to the magic school equipped.

Okay i think i found a bug (or it might be a "feature" given how many overlapping submods Warsword currently have ...  :roll:)

Basically game tends to delete my items that arent in starting inventory slots. I dont know what are the requirements for it to happen, but i am sure as hell i lost twice most of my haul from pillaging half of Bretonia (and the other half on my way back) and then i got ****ed up big time because i lost 250k +- worth of armor, weapons and most importantly spells .... waiting over month by now, spells arent restocked yet. I think my playthrough just got screwed over.

Anyone know fix for this bull****? I really dont get how bug as this can even be in mod or game. Especially in mod that is in developement for so long and this isnt its first version.

Gwyllie said:
Okay i think i found a bug (or it might be a "feature" given how many overlapping submods Warsword currently have ...  :roll:)

Basically game tends to delete my items that arent in starting inventory slots. I dont know what are the requirements for it to happen, but i am sure as hell i lost twice most of my haul from pillaging half of Bretonia (and the other half on my way back) and then i got **** up big time because i lost 250k +- worth of armor, weapons and most importantly spells .... waiting over month by now, spells arent restocked yet. I think my playthrough just got screwed over.

Anyone know fix for this bull****? I really dont get how bug as this can even be in mod or game. Especially in mod that is in developement for so long and this isnt its first version.
by any way, did you check stats of troops (not companions) in your party by asking them?
you loose bottom half of inventory by doing this...

How do you use combat abilities? Bought "ignore pain" from arena master, but it's not activated during combat.

clock4orange said:
Gwyllie said:

Basically game tends to delete my items that arent in starting inventory slots. I dont know what are the requirements for it to happen, but i am sure as hell i lost twice most of my haul from pillaging half of Bretonia (and the other half on my way back) and then i got **** up big time because i lost 250k +- worth of armor, weapons and most importantly spells .... waiting over month by now, spells arent restocked yet. I think my playthrough just got screwed over.

by any way, did you check stats of troops (not companions) in your party by asking them?
you loose bottom half of inventory by doing this...

Please dont tell me this is the reason i literally destroyed 300 days worth of playthrough  :facepalm: ......

Back
Top Bottom