SP Fantasy Warsword Conquest - New Opening Post

Users who are viewing this thread

minimumdifficulty said:
ShaneRoach said:
Anyone else have an issue with building barracks and not being able to recruit troops still afterward in a castle?

Also, I watch videos by a fellow on YouTube (Reformist) where he has the ability to direct his troops in combat by placing a flag...? Is that a whole different mod? Seems he does it in any game I see him play. Can't find a reference to it anywhere in the handbook...

hold f1 and point at where you'd like you fodder to go

Awesome! Thanks... Whew

Hey, Birger Jarl

Did You consider to officially join the devs team? They are only two and might gladly accept any help. I see three reasons for doing this:

- all Your hard work might become fruitless and counterproductive if a new official version will be released soon

- most players focusing on narrow, favourite part of the game. I see, that You obviously are fond of orcs. As a result, they were overbuffed in the first try and are still extremaly though. The devs have the advantage of seeing the mod as a whole and they know the system used in creating troop trees.

- some tweaks, as unit's names are in my opinion purely esthetic and we have more serious issues to face of in the mod, so if Your help will allow devs to work faster, well, all the better

Good luck, I didn't tried Your latest tweaks yet, but will do it soon.

merikallio said:
Hey, Birger Jarl

Did You consider to officially join the devs team? They are only two and might gladly accept any help. I see three reasons for doing this:

- all Your hard work might become fruitless and counterproductive if a new official version will be released soon

- most players focusing on narrow, favourite part of the game. I see, that You obviously are fond of orcs. As a result, they were overbuffed in the first try and are still extremaly though. The devs have the advantage of seeing the mod as a whole and they know the system used in creating troop trees.

- some tweaks, as unit's names are in my opinion purely esthetic and we have more serious issues to face of in the mod, so if Your help will allow devs to work faster, well, all the better

Or if the developers decided to quit, they should release the source codes so others can take over the mod.

Are Del and that still at work on this? Its wonderful to see it still around, was one of my favourite mods, even though it often felt half finished, and I used to squeeze bugs out of it everywhere, for two guys just working away it was a wonderful mod and much appreciated. My Dwarven army was 200 strong and eventually took the fight north after smashing the Orks. Lovely concept, always enjoyed Warhammer Fantasy far more than 40k. Glad they finally got some scenes too! :smile:

Devs said earlier that their next update would come in October because they were away, or something like that. I really do hope they include Birger's fixes because they're pretty awesome. About him joining the dev team, well, I guess it's up to him!

Will try the new fixes... I'm thinking of starting a Tomb Kings game :grin:

birger, many many thanks for all the fine work. two questions;

if i have already installed the official bugfix,do i need to install it again?

and is it save game compatable? im assuming not.

cheers

Great change log man!

Update's great, however there are some small issues still - in the naval scenes my lads still commit suicide, which really puts me off when it comes to ship battles. Furthermore, there are non-ship beastmen armies which spawn on the sea, thus being unable to move, and they just stand there. Also they don't spawn on land, so it's quite a shame. Also, I didn't try it in this update, however I didn't see this in the log, so I'll bring it up - sneaking into castles with some/all races leaves me naked, and unable to fight off the guards. Seeing as how there is probably no way of creating a universal "pilgrim's outfit", I'd propose that a universal weapon be given, preferably something with reach, as to compensate for the lack of armour.

On another note, my game crashed a bit at the former update, now it's stellar, so good job on that (if it wasn't just my laptop acting up)

Cheers and keep up the good work! :grin:

merikallio said:
Hey, Birger Jarl

I'd gladly join the devteam, however I am also not one to intrude upon others so I am not too adamant about it.

The problem with the Orcs wasn't really due to favoritism on my part; it was me not realizing the problem. I kept buffing the Orcs, yet they still got slaughtered by the Dwarves due to the wonky hitboxes and as a result they annihilated non-Dwarf troops who didn't have the hitbox advantage.  :oops:

leonn said:
birger, many many thanks for all the fine work. two questions;

if i have already installed the official bugfix,do i need to install it again?

and is it save game compatable? im assuming not.

cheers

Nope, only need to install it once.

merikallio said:
And thanks God You didn't give swormasters any shield. Will be a pure heresy :evil:

Haha yeah, the High Elf army isn't really an Infantry army in Warsword; they are all about the Cavalry and Archers. So I decided they didn't miss out on much by not having a tank Infantry. :wink:

GeneralLeo said:
Great change log man!

Update's great, however there are some small issues still - in the naval scenes my lads still commit suicide, which really puts me off when it comes to ship battles. Furthermore, there are non-ship beastmen armies which spawn on the sea, thus being unable to move, and they just stand there. Also they don't spawn on land, so it's quite a shame. Also, I didn't try it in this update, however I didn't see this in the log, so I'll bring it up - sneaking into castles with some/all races leaves me naked, and unable to fight off the guards. Seeing as how there is probably no way of creating a universal "pilgrim's outfit", I'd propose that a universal weapon be given, preferably something with reach, as to compensate for the lack of armour.

On another note, my game crashed a bit at the former update, now it's stellar, so good job on that (if it wasn't just my laptop acting up)

Cheers and keep up the good work! :grin:

Unfortunately, I am pretty sure I can't actually fix the naval scene issues as that is beyond what I can tinker with.
I've been trying to sort the spawn issues with the Beastmen, but as of yet I haven't had much luck. I think I could technically fix it once I learn how the spawn points work...
The sneaking in issue is definitely a problem caused by racial restrictions on clothes. I am also not sure I can fix that, but I'll look into it.

I dunno if I am a retard or what, but I had not really thought the Tunnel Fighters were that badly unbalanced. Oddly, they work better out in the open than they do in close combat (I.e assaults, which one might think would be closer to "tunnel fighting") because the AI shifts them to axes rather than letting them shoot from the hip, I think. Takes too long to aim and fire. But if the AI for Skaven and Empire worked correctly, they could sit at range and pick Tunnel Fighters apart.

I have to admit, while I have toyed with MOST of the armies, Dwarf has always been my favorite, and it is hard for me to be even close to objective. The AI in video games in general typically is a real problem, and it usually gets solved by giving the computer numerical superiority or cheaty-good hit percentages and such.... So I sort of glossed over their effectiveness in open field combat.

The biggest problem with the mod in general, for me, in comparison to vanilla Warbands, has been the lack of something like trolls in other parts of the map to help bootstrap yourself into the midgame. It's not an issue if you play on the easy settings, but trying to get a fieldable army together without killing trolls with all the settings on high is challenging to the point of being a touch monotonous.

I'd note it hasn't kept me from spending a couple hundred hours trying... lol

I'm so happy they ported this to Linux. It is by far my favorite game I have ever played. If I ever am able to do head to head combat using units it will pretty much be my fantasy game come true. I don't think you can do that yet though, can you? I think the multiplayer version is just lots of people running individual warriors, is it not?

And I had heard, and confirmed (albeit only once) that multiplay online is quite a bit laggy.

Wow, I have meandered way off topic. I think I basically just meant to make some comments about the relative different ways something becomes "balanced" or "unbalanced". because I think if Dwarfs were run against Empire, for example, with human players playing both, SOMETHING in the dwarf arsenal would have to make up for the fact that empire has superior firepower AND cav. In the tabletop game, dwarfs compensate with high leadership and moral, and with toughness and heavy armor. I think in Warhammer, Empire would probably be the army to HAVE the repeater guns, in fact. Dwarf handgunners were cool because they could withstand skirmishers that would tupically tear Empire handgunners apart.

I keep telling myself I am going to knuckle down and learn to mod, and I keep... not doing it. I too appreciate anyone who digs in and works on this stuff. It's hella fun. Thanks Jarl. Even if I am unlikely to try your tweaks, you are always just so friendly and helpful, and doing some modding of your own is icing on the cake.

P.S. If you ever get Bastich and Bugman in the same party, their interplay is pretty funny.

The reason why Tunnel Fighters were OP was because they came with the Seven-Barrel Repeater by default. It is pretty kickass. Plus they are badass in melee as far as Archers go. Given that the Hand Cannon is kinda "meh" it seemed only fair to give that gun to the Engineer instead - who is supposed to be better than Tunnel Fighters, not worse.

Not that the Double-Barrel Flintlock I gave them as a replacement is in itself a shabby gun - far from it. Not the most accurate gun, but it has twice the bang and is devastating up close where accuracy isn't that big of an issue. It felt appropriate for them to have it.

Birger Jarl said:
The reason why Tunnel Fighters were OP was because they came with the Seven-Barrel Repeater by default. It is pretty kickass. Plus they are badass in melee as far as Archers go. Given that the Hand Cannon is kinda "meh" it seemed only fair to give that gun to the Engineer instead - who is supposed to be better than Tunnel Fighters, not worse.

Not that the Double-Barrel Flintlock I gave them as a replacement is in itself a shabby gun - far from it. Not the most accurate gun, but it has twice the bang and is devastating up close where accuracy isn't that big of an issue. It felt appropriate for them to have it.

It's kind of too bad about the hand cannon. I end up putting the engineers in with my infantry. Sometimes the cannon does something decent. Mostly not. I like the IDEA of it. I have not been able to get them to fire directly on my command, or else I could definitely find a use for them.

But yeah. I often find myself NOT advancing them to engineers for precisely that reason. Hehe.

The hand-cannon can be pretty devastating in the hands of the AI. But it must be properly used. For instance, I always get some Leadbealchers that I put along my big guys (Ogres, Trolls, Heralds of Khorne...), I tell them to hold till the enemy charges and fire when they are almost on top (always minding the time it takes for them to aim and actually fire). If it´s cavalry charging several horses are guaranteed to go down, and usually some riders too. If it´s infantry in a compact group it can take a big chunk of them too.

The downside is that you have to babysit them if you want them to be really effective.

Anyone tried the explosive cannon ball ammunition? If I somehow figured out how to make it weaker, a normalized version of this projectile would go a long way to make the Hand Cannon viable.

Instead of the current "shotgun"-effect you actually get an explosion.

Problem is, it can easily wipe out entire armies in one shot!

Birger Jarl said:
Anyone tried the explosive cannon ball ammunition? If I somehow figured out how to make it weaker, a normalized version of this projectile would go a long way to make the Hand Cannon viable.

Instead of the current "shotgun"-effect you actually get an explosion.

Problem is, it can easily wipe out entire armies in one shot!
I did...thoroughly. On the battlefield if used with a cannon it´s not that overpowered. On a siege, well let´s just say that unless the enemy outnumbers you 10 to 1 that ammunition is going to make all the difference.
Not to mention that it´s exploitable. You can use it with any firearm and the temptation to get a Seven Barrel gun might be just too much to resist. Or the Sure Shot Pistol if you are looking for perfect accuracy.

IMHO it´s better to leave it be and if people want it they can always use the cheat menu.

ShaneRoach said:
Birger Jarl said:

It's kind of too bad about the hand cannon. I end up putting the engineers in with my infantry. Sometimes the cannon does something decent. Mostly not. I like the IDEA of it. I have not been able to get them to fire directly on my command, or else I could definitely find a use for them.

But yeah. I often find myself NOT advancing them to engineers for precisely that reason. Hehe.

I have a dwarf army and I have a core of engineers like 40 and I haven't lost a battle on medium difficulty even if im outnumbered by a lot my superior firepower always carries the day love the engineers. my character has one of the 7 barrel guns gets me a lot of kills lol

Back
Top Bottom