SP Fantasy Warsword Conquest - New Opening Post

Users who are viewing this thread

Can you please make that other evil and good factions can start a war? In my game, beastmen destroyed all their starting enemies and won't go to war against empire or dwareves for example. They are just wandering around brainlessly

Okay so I'm not sure I've understood this "Magic Phase" thing correctly : in the news post, you say that basically the "winds of magic" change every 10 seconds, right ? And so every 10 seconds most spell buffs are dissipated ? Isn't it like... pretty damn short ? Compared to the permanent effects of damaging/healing spells I mean.
Also I haven't played the tabletop, but I know that spells can backfire in it, is there anything like that in Warsword's magic or will failing a cast roll just mean nothing happens ?

That said, can't wait to try out some Lore of Undeath commander-type character, just not sure on whether Tomb King or Vampire for now. Although reading the spells descriptions makes me want to play several casters actually...

Small nitpicking : in the doc file, the description of the "Traitor Kin" spell says "Allied cavalry dismounted if riding test failed". I assume this is meant to be "Enemy cavalry" ?

10 seconds is not a long time in battle time but in combat time it can be quite a lot. If a high level sorceress casts power of darkness on a group of allies in combat and gives them a 30% damage bonus then a lot of bonus damage will be dealt in that time. Similarly if an amber wizard lord casts panns impenetrable belt and gives all his allies in combat a 4+ ward save then many hits can be negated in 10 seconds. It is a good amount of time plus the buff and hex spells are cheaper in both mana and casting cost than aoe damage (and a much larger effetc radius) which tend to be the hardest to cast. Also high level magic is very powerful (taking the spell power of darkness, the lowest level dark elf sorceress will only give a 10% damage bonus to troops within an 18 metre radius of the spell location but Malekith casting the same spell will give a bonus of 40% damage to all troops within a 28 metre radius of the spell location). I want magic to be powerful but not completely dominating so I think 10 seconds for all effects is a good balance (and I don't want effects to stack). It is of course all subject to change in the future if needed.

Failing a casting roll means the spell fails, you lose half the mana cost and you cannot cast another spell in that phase even if you have the mana (apart from the recastable magic missile spells)

Tomb Kings have the lore of nehekhara as their default lore. If you are a skeleton you will be able to learn undeath but all summoned troops will be from the vampire counts tree, not tomb kings.

Thanks for the note about traitor kin.

HARK THE HERALD.....AGAIN!

Hi there people of the Known World, like every year, it's time for us to ask your support and vote for us in the ModDB Mod of the Year 2017 Award competition.
If you like Warsword Conquest, show it to the world and drop a vote for our project on ModDB:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/warsword-conquest/#5725041

In the following days, to celebrate our mod in the true spirit of the MOTY Award, we're going to show you some of the new contents we've been working on lately, so stay tuned for more :wink:

Thank you once again for your support through the years guys! You rock the Warp outta Chaos!

See you all on the battlefields!

Chii said:
Would be nice to see some stuff before we vote! I nearly forgot about the mod due to the long absence of updates.  :???:

We released a news update (Link to the arcticle: http://www.moddb.com/mods/warsword-conquest/news/its-a-kind-of-magic/#6742754 ) and a couple screenshots less than a month ago, regarding the introduction of magic in the mod (with all the linked stuff that comes with it, which means new troops and game mechanics for almost all races and factions) and our project of bringing the lore lords in the mod.

The latter being the main source of screenshots, even if a couple of them are directly intertwined with some of the new things we have adressed in the news update arcticle.

So check that out if you missed it and stay tuned for more :wink:

polloio said:
Chii said:
Would be nice to see some stuff before we vote! I nearly forgot about the mod due to the long absence of updates.  :???:

We released a news update (Link to the arcticle: http://www.moddb.com/mods/warsword-conquest/news/its-a-kind-of-magic/#6742754 ) and a couple screenshots less than a month ago, regarding the introduction of magic in the mod (with all the linked stuff that comes with it, which means new troops and game mechanics for almost all races and factions) and our project of bringing the lore lords in the mod.

The latter being the main source of screenshots, even if a couple of them are directly intertwined with some of the new things we have adressed in the news update arcticle.

I think she is right, like you guys can more frequently release stuff, like the last update was huge ( before that I only knew the basic first Version and assumed the Mod is dead because half the map was empty for like 2 years until the last release), if you do it like that Cozur guy from Clash of Kings from the Game of Thrones Series, it be better he basically adds 2-3 things, even if its just Amour or one Castle and then every month a new Version is out. Like to wait 2 years for a Release that people play a month and then wait for like a update is in the end the same thing, both know a better Version is on the way.

I understand the need to perfect a mod before releasing it, I am just saying for example instead of adding 10 factions before releasing it add one and release and then work on the other 9 and see how the feedback is and then keep going.

Like Ignore the people that cry about every bug and complain why it got released the way it is, it does not have to be perfect but we give feedback instantly and if the changes are smaller from Version to Version I assume its easier to track and find the Bugs. I personally was very Happy to all sudden see the last Version that came out it was so huge compared to the Original one. I read all the comments where for example Gsanders explained that he told Nameless Warrior to release the Version now even if its not finished so we can find the bugs. I think Gsanders is right, its the best way.

So dont be shy guys and ready it for download  :fruity:

LAST_ACTION_HERO said:
polloio said:
Chii said:

I think she is right, like you guys can more frequently release stuff, like the last update was huge ( before that I only knew the basic first Version and assumed the Mod is dead because half the map was empty for like 2 years until the last release), if you do it like that Cozur guy from Clash of Kings from the Game of Thrones Series, it be better he basically adds 2-3 things, even if its just Amour or one Castle and then every month a new Version is out. Like to wait 2 years for a Release that people play a month and then wait for like a update is in the end the same thing, both know a better Version is on the way.

I understand the need to perfect a mod before releasing it, I am just saying for example instead of adding 10 factions before releasing it add one and release and then work on the other 9 and see how the feedback is and then keep going.

Like Ignore the people that cry about every bug and complain why it got released the way it is, it does not have to be perfect but we give feedback instantly and if the changes are smaller from Version to Version I assume its easier to track and find the Bugs. I personally was very Happy to all sudden see the last Version that came out it was so huge compared to the Original one. I read all the comments where for example Gsanders explained that he told Nameless Warrior to release the Version now even if its not finished so we can find the bugs. I think Gsanders is right, its the best way.

So dont be shy guys and ready it for download  :fruity:

"Doing like that Cozur guy" would be quite difficult for us....since he has paid employees (and can get money for his work, another big difference with our situation) working on his mod, and we don't. Which is also the main reason we can't release new content in short times and why it takes longer for us to build up an update.

We know you all would like smaller and more frequent updates, like new armors and troops with fewer big updates in the middle, but for the same reason we have other things coming first in our lives before the mod (families, jobs, college, other personal issues) we don't have new content every week or month to release, especially models like armors or full troops.

At the moment we have a lot of people that volounteered to help us but only a few are doing their job (a great job, and you're going to see it). Though we can't force them to disregard their real life matters to work on a free mod that can't even get donations without risking a huge Cease & Desist flying right from the copyright owners (Games Workshop) to our faces.
That would be unfair, because people live with what they do in real life and not with what they (we are included in that "they") and not with this mod.

Also, a perfect mod is a complete utopia: awesome but is never going to happen. Every big project has bugs in it. Be it an AAA game or a simple free mod like Warsword Conquest. And we cannot ignore people ranting about bugs, as them are flaws in the mod, our responsibility (sometimes not even ours, it's just M&B Warband going nuts).

About releasing it now: it would be a mess, as there are way too many literally incomplete things in the mod yet, and would look far worse than its previous version. We can't do it. And I'm not talking only about the needed models not being yet all in the mod, but parts of code and some writing (yay that's my job :grin:) too.
We are going on with the work, but the mod sure isn't in shape yet for a release.

How can he afford paid people when he's also doing a mod about copyrighted content that he can't exactly monetize ? (Or maybe he has a patreon and it's enough ? I don't know honestly just asking, I've never played ACoK, or AWoIaF for that matter)
And without even going into new features/new troops/new content in general, I think most players would have been perfectly fine with a simple fix patch. Like the fact that the Beastmen troop tree was messed up in several places (highest thrower tier with 0 power throw is the main one I remember) and that's still the case in the "latest" official release, right ? And if you're short on modelers/artists like you were for a while iirc, then you could just release updates that are more code-related, such as balance or maybe the new shiny honor system. No need to bundle everything together in one yuuuge patch.

I don't know. You should ask him about how he can do it.
We know for a fact that we can't, because we have asked GW directly.

Also, it's far more time consuming for us to adress few problems at a time instead of working on bigger stuff, as we can better work without the constant pressure of the alarm going off for release, while delivering a solid quantity of content......

......and about content:

Zopja.png

"One of Slaanesh's favored servants within the Old World, made legend by his prowess on the battlefield and his disturbing yet angelic beauty. Though he appears to be little more than sixteen summers of age, Sigvald the Magnificent has blighted the world for over three hundred years.

The personification of beauty on the outside, but rot within, the Geld-Prince rides at the head of an army of utterly devoted followers who would give their lives for him without a second thought. His elite bodyguard bear mirrored shields so that Sigvald might bask in his own divine glory, and dozens of exotic females attend to his every whim and desire."

- From the WHFB Wikia page for Sigvald the Magnificent

The Geld-Prince is one of the many new lords from the lore you're going to find in the next version of Warsword Conquest.
Will you join his hedonistic crusade for extreme pleasure in the name of Slaanesh or stand against the horde of his cursed servants?

Models by Kraggrim, rigging fixes by Marshal_157

Wendek said:
How can he afford paid people when he's also doing a mod about copyrighted content that he can't exactly monetize ? (Or maybe he has a patreon and it's enough ? I don't know honestly just asking, I've never played ACoK, or AWoIaF for that matter)
And without even going into new features/new troops/new content in general, I think most players would have been perfectly fine with a simple fix patch. Like the fact that the Beastmen troop tree was messed up in several places (highest thrower tier with 0 power throw is the main one I remember) and that's still the case in the "latest" official release, right ? And if you're short on modelers/artists like you were for a while iirc, then you could just release updates that are more code-related, such as balance or maybe the new shiny honor system. No need to bundle everything together in one yuuuge patch.

That may have been more feasible before the previous update but this time it was not just modellers but also gsanders who was absent for a long time and there are things on his coding side which need to be looked at too and he is as of yet unable to return to warsword. I have no illusions about our update strategy, is not ideal, but this time around I feel this is for the best, both for the state of the mod and the life/modding balance of team members. The good thing this time is that the mod should be better tested and better 'out of the box'. We missed quite a bit last time as we felt the pressure being past the designated date. That won't happen this time.

I had no Idea that dude had a Army of paid minions and I thought he only was hated because of the un-nice way to deal with fans of the mod since Game of Thrones became so huge the past years... well stupid Idea from my side then...

polloio said:
......and about content:

Zopja.png

"One of Slaanesh's favored servants within the Old World, made legend by his prowess on the battlefield and his disturbing yet angelic beauty. Though he appears to be little more than sixteen summers of age, Sigvald the Magnificent has blighted the world for over three hundred years.

The personification of beauty on the outside, but rot within, the Geld-Prince rides at the head of an army of utterly devoted followers who would give their lives for him without a second thought. His elite bodyguard bear mirrored shields so that Sigvald might bask in his own divine glory, and dozens of exotic females attend to his every whim and desire."

The Geld-Prince is one of the many new lords from the lore you're going to find in the next version of Warsword Conquest.
Will you join his hedonistic crusade for extreme pleasure in the name of Slaanesh or stand against the horde of his cursed servants?

Oh yes, this is what I am talking about, please more of that content...  that kinda was the only Chaos Hero I liked ( because Reasons ) beside Crom the Conqueror an that only because of the Name Crom ( Because Arnold the Barbarian ). Do you know if any of the Model Maker guys plans to do a Video how to create Models for the Game? I looked at some stuff on youtube how to make Katanas and Star Destroyers in Blender but honestly I think there must be better ways then just to extrude everything... I started also to work again in my old profession so pilling up overhours while designing machinery again... and studying on the side. But I would like to get into Blender if anyone knows good tutorials I be open for it.

Is there also a List of stuff to Create like how you guys assure that 2 modellers do not make the same model at a time?

Nameless Warrior said:
That may have been more feasible before the previous update but this time it was not just modellers but also gsanders who was absent for a long time and there are things on his coding side which need to be looked at too and he is as of yet unable to return to warsword. I have no illusions about our update strategy, is not ideal, but this time around I feel this is for the best, both for the state of the mod and the life/modding balance of team members. The good thing this time is that the mod should be better tested and better 'out of the box'. We missed quite a bit last time as we felt the pressure being past the designated date. That won't happen this time.

I still would volunteer as beta test around Christmas till New year  :fruity:

LAST_ACTION_HERO said:
I had no Idea that dude had a Army of paid minions and I thought he only was hated because of the un-nice way to deal with fans of the mod since Game of Thrones became so huge the past years... well stupid Idea from my side then...

polloio said:
......and about content:

Zopja.png

Oh yes, this is what I am talking about, please more of that content...  that kinda was the only Chaos Hero I liked ( because Reasons ) beside Crom the Conqueror an that only because of the Name Crom ( Because Arnold the Barbarian ). Do you know if any of the Model Maker guys plans to do a Video how to create Models for the Game? I looked at some stuff on youtube how to make Katanas and Star Destroyers in Blender but honestly I think there must be better ways then just to extrude everything... I started also to work again in my old profession so pilling up overhours while designing machinery again... and studying on the side. But I would like to get into Blender if anyone knows good tutorials I be open for it.

Is there also a List of stuff to Create like how you guys assure that 2 modellers do not make the same model at a time?

First, they are pro-modellers, most of them studying as 3D artists and some even working for other mod teams, indie games or videogame companies. Second, the 90% of them doesn't use Blender, and for what I know they use Maya, Max, Zbrush and other more advanced softwares.

And last of the list, they mostly sculpt their models themselves, so no extrusion.

Of course we have an internal list that keeps the track of the models required, the ones being already worked on and gets updated everytime one or more are complete :smile:

Been playing through this again, and i've been  having a off feeling with the nippon colonies and how they're just sort of there between the dark elves and lizards. Not to familiar with the expanded/old lore. Probably kind of brash to suggest this, how hard would it be to create a second warsword featuring the lands beyond the world's edge mountains, a good portion of the races have models and code to work off of. Chaos dwarves could have their own kingdom and have ogre kingdom raiding parties patrolling the map since a kingdom of ogres would feel like auto easy mode for the game.

Also side question, is having most of a kingdom's lords disappear from the map a common bug that comes up?

Cyvash said:
Been playing through this again, and i've been  having a off feeling with the nippon colonies and how they're just sort of there between the dark elves and lizards. Not to familiar with the expanded/old lore. Probably kind of brash to suggest this, how hard would it be to create a second warsword featuring the lands beyond the world's edge mountains, a good portion of the races have models and code to work off of. Chaos dwarves could have their own kingdom and have ogre kingdom raiding parties patrolling the map since a kingdom of ogres would feel like auto easy mode for the game.

Also side question, is having most of a kingdom's lords disappear from the map a common bug that comes up?

Answer to your first question: it would be the most wrong decision ever. Let me explain why. We are now working every day since 5 years ca. on this version of the mod and to start a new mod with the same scope and quantity of content now would mean we'll have to completely let down all that we have worked on up to now and what we are working on right now, and it's quite a lot.

To begin anew now would be complete madness, especially to begin anew only to bring the scope of a second mod in lands where not even GW ever told us more than very few things about what we would be finding (we know of the Chaops Dwarfs, Hobgoblin Khanate, the Orc tribes, Cathay, Ind and Nippon and the northern tribes of Chaos Marauders......but very few of them have enough lore and infos to develope upon them.....75% didn't even ever got an official armybook or miniatures).

This is quite enough for us not to embark in such a blind mission of dubious success (most of the factions in the extreme eastern lands have veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery few fans, since GW never gave them any importance at all).

Nippon Colonies have been added for two reasons: first, we needed them as a connection between DE and Lizardmen, so the situation in the New World would have moved on instead of being stagnating; second, it was one of the most requested factions from the preview version, and since they basically are Sengoku-era Japan we felt it would have been nice and effort-efficient to have them back in the mod. So it was both a bit of "fan service" and a needed (and quite lore acceptable, given that Nippon has been described as a nation torn between the struggle among the daimyo to become shogun, but still a nation spot on conquest in foreign lands) faction to solve a problem in the mod without creating further balancement issues.

Answer to your second question: No, that's no bug. We put in a mechanic that after a while let the lords of a faction die, so the player and the AI can both move on toward faction elimination without having to run back and forth pursuing bands of lords taking a single castle/town everytime, preventing their faction from being eliminated.

Should them manage to get a castle or town back, msome of not most or all of their lords would respawn. Also we are now taking out lord defection from the mod, because it's not that great to see, for instance, dwarf lords joining the greenskins or chaos lords joining kislev.

I agree about the Lord defection thing, seems sensible. However, does it mean there will be an exception for the Player, or that Player-made kingdoms will not be a thing anymore ? (Which would be fine by me, I play as a vassal all the time anyway and a new kingdom in the WH universe looks weird to me, but I'm not sure how popular it would be overall) Or that you'll just have to promote your companions instead if you want Lords ?

To quote a regularly-used phrase: It's ready when it's ready.

Sure, it can be boring and frustrating waiting for updates to games or mods, but you just have to accept it, be patient and occupy your time with other things. I, myself, have been getting into some different games and catching-up on films and series while waiting for a few bits I have an interest in. A mix of this and that. I find it also helps to stay away for a while (I can't actually remember the last time I checked-in), especially with games or mods that require longer periods (due to reasons, of which tends to be time itself).

As we have seen before, when there is something worth showing, it gets revealed for all to see.

New screenshot. New piece of preview content.

"Arbaal the Undefeated, known also as the Destroyer of Khorne was a powerful Khornate Champion of Chaos which wrought many woes upon the world during the time of the Great War, and it is said that he still lives to this very day, a Champion who has remained undefeated for centuries. Thousands have felt his axe blade at their necks and now their white skulls lie at the feet of Khorne. At the city of Praag in the northlands Arbaal led a hundred daemons to the assault.

He is the favourite of his master and his most devoted servant. Khorne has gifted him with the power of the Destroyer, a reward that belongs to Khorne's own Champion alone. Only one warrior may bear the gift of the Destroyer. Should his Champion be defeated Khorne's wrathful eye will turn his warrior to foul Spawn. for only the victorious are worthy to serve Khorne."

- From the WHFB Wikia page for Arbaal the Undefeated

The greatest champion of Khorne and his raging Flesh Hound mount have come to Warsword Conquest to hunt for more skulls and shed even more blood in the name of their god and master.

Tremble before their everlasting wrath.

Helmet by Burspa, Flesh Hound by Kraggrim
Screenshot by Marshal_157

xspDc.jpg

kevinflemming said:
As we have seen before, when there is something worth showing, it gets revealed for all to see.

It's more like "When we have something that can be shown via screenshots we show it", because most of the hard work it's often made by code and such. And posting walls of code is not the same as showing some new cool models or scenery pieces :smile:

Nameless Warrior said:
Wendek said:
How can he afford paid people when he's also doing a mod about copyrighted content that he can't exactly monetize ? (Or maybe he has a patreon and it's enough ? ...

I saw my name used by an important person here and wanted to qualify something of minor importance:
I'm pretty busy over at another mod.  That other mod happens to have some similarities in terms of factions needing prejudice to keep unnatural alliances doomed to fail, or diplomacy needing skewing, and unlike last years' fairly mild prejudice I feel its needed to ramp up prejudice to the point where cities close their doors when you show up with a mixed party full of their lifelong enemies and plan to parade down main street.

Diplomacy has a large number of quests and dialogs that ought to be exercised heavily before importing, and this process requires a test bed.
Although it may be a shock to some users, I don't really see mods the way a user does. I see layers where the troops, faction names, items list, and pretty much all the models are "data", and it matters to me quite little whether they're chaos, orks, spider riding goblins, or lizard men in one mod or spider riding drow and high elves and dwarves and orcs with a "c" in another mod.  Those factions are just numbers.  What MATTERS to me is the driving systems code underneath, how it impacts hiring recruits at villages, closes doors or opens them at towns and castles, how trade works, and how to turn off layers of the game and toggle them back on without needing a fresh save game.  The two mods have mutually incompatible magic systems, but that suits me because I don't want to harm anyone else's look and feel for magic but I expect to drive much of the core outside-combat with similar code.  My focus has generally been economy and optimizations.  I did get bandit spawns working last year but it was fairly late in the release cycle, when we were burnt out and I was feeling sick - sick of modding, sick from my kidneys failing, tired and old, and more interested in doing something with my family than taking mental hits for failed code in a free game.  Which agreed nobody MADE me work on.

So I took the year off to learn a useful trade, but that didnt really pan out either, so when Guspav needed help last August I offered to rescue a mod I liked much and reckoned I could bang it out in about 4 days (merging diplomacy and in the process scrubbing his code clean of whatever he had that was holding it down).  So four MONTHS later its mostly working, but my chronic exhaustion are hard on users (Wendek is a refugee from my caustic remarks on unscripted detours).  And yet, as even he pointed out, when I took a diplomacy I used a "beta" diplomacy that sometime later is found to have some egregious problems - a broken tutorial, possible dialog hangs, and I need to go through one by one each quest and dialog branch to find any places dialogs can hang.  This process is open end.  For there it is a fairly straightforward merge, again.

I think I have a more advanced model than the Warsword Rigale mashup of diplomacy + Warsword Conquest last year. If the dialogs were very clean this set of code would be vastly superior to my choices last year.  I feel the list handling is MUCH stronger, by perhaps 5-15x less inefficient, allowing MUCH smoother map movement.  There is NO stutter that I can discern even at time moving 6x normal.  I have better tools for monitoring troop trees, faction status, even considering the need to break the Jrider faction viewer into 3 layers to fit all the factions columns correctly. Thats solved now.

Water combat is sidestepped for the moment; it just wont happen as before, even if the replacement seems cheesy (or not).  I'd rather focus on what works and scrap trying to make sea battles all together for now.  they can fight on an island or already boarded for all I care.

I did make flying work at the other mod but pulled it over concerns for needing to remake PBOD for 3D.  Thats a next year problem.
As for Cozur et al having "professional" work, his Patreon page shows monthly income of 160 a month, so I suspect he started with deep pockets and burned a large amount over the last years, same as me.  I blew hmmm $50K of my inheritance and now we're broke busted and with my wife daily demanding I stop "wasting time on coding free games and find something that pays" (unquote). I told her its my life long dream to do this, even once, and I would be happy to do this then die.  There it sits.  I don't expect to die anytime in the next 5 years, and ideally twice that.  thats a hell of a lot of possible code.

Now, as for work on a mod -- I do one layer for myself.  I then share it with Nameless Warrior.  We're peers.  I have my own goals, he has his. I never really sat down at a GW game; not once ever. i'm not a fan. But the CODE aspect was a different matter.  He needed certain layers that _I_ felt needed writing ANYWAY, so it was a natural synergism.  I'm not married to ANYONES IP.  They're just clothes for a fashion industry.  I'm interested in the deep system, sort of the body under the fashion/art.  Thats my frontier.  Thus I dabble from mod to mod and take great interest in optimizing Warsword Conquest and other mods.  I can assure you, my current testbed is MUCH faster moving than last years Warsword Conquest.  Part of this is controlling party count (1100 vs 1400-1600) and part is avoiding waste (my list driven icons over water was a huge bandwidth pig, and Nameless Warior has already removed them).  The list system I used last year was very primitive and someone else's OSP; its been made much smoother with delayed garbage collection and some fairly low level optimization for Warband environment.  I have, well had, I guess Wendek hates me now, around 50 people that have seen what I work with. But they see the surface layer.  To me the difference between say Perisno and Warsword Conquest and some other mod is about a month of merges and porting.  Deep underwater, most mods are fairly similar code - especially diplomacy centric mods.  Nameless Warrior has already adapted aspects from Silverstag, and I'm focused on tooling some of the system mechanics.  I did last years trade routes, and some things that failed.  I did the skins, and set up virtual skins to change AI behavoir when we needed more than 16 skins to represent all the factions behavior.

So, thats why "my layers" seem to have no movement.  They sort of are in parallel, and although its not obvious, the difference between one mod and the next is at the clothes layer.  I'd like to think Warsword Conquest was avant guarde last year, trying things that some of which were a "bridge too far".  This time it will be a little slower to roll out but I think different layers will have better construction. I know Nameless Warrior has never stopped working on the project, unlike me, so all of what the code shows in the latest updates he wrote.  I'm cool with that.  I'm working on a layer of common interest to many fantasy mods.  I share the portion _I_ write.  Nothing I write is GW IP specific; they don't own the concept of list handling, or garbage collection, or pretty much any layer I touch.  Thats why I do synergisms with other modders - THEY do troops, factions, weapons/armor, spell names.  I do SYSTEMS layers, abstracted and without contact with IP.  I could care less what a Khorne flake looks like.  Its not important to my code.  But for example trade routes needed to be more clever - now THATS something for me.  Its mechanics that are of interest, not the IP.  Nameless does IP integration. I do systems that are abstracted, and neither GW nor D&D nor Tolkien.  They're just my idea of magic fields in a E-field/B-field universe. I do physics, not GW.  I want the mod to seem "real".  I dont do lore. Others do.  They do it well.  I try to compartmentalize the layers that other people wrote, so each mod retains some distinct look and feel differences.  I'm not at all interested in a GW fight over whether or not I can find patreon help for code done outside Warsword Conquest.  If any of my work from outside is shared, its a gift to Nameless Warrior, not something the community "bought" or "sponsored".  Maybe thats also why I havent done any direct integration this year; I make a pile of code that someone else has to dig through; but its of use to many mods.  I don't expect anyone from here to help me.  But neither am I in a bargain with the Devil for this; at least, I hope not.  What comes, comes.  And the price has been right so far. But Warsword Conquest brings a huge amount of volunteer modeling by professional grade modellers. Its not JUST coders that pitch in or share something to boost the project.

For the record, since I am legendary for my caustic statements -- I just am dead tired most of the time, and want the freedom to arrange my time, my priorities, my targets.  Nobody micromanages me.  I'm a peer with Nameless Warrior, not his understudy, not his boss either. Nameless writes clean code and its a delight to read.  I respect that.  He also does 85% of the TOTAL code work, if not more (and all of the stuff in previews is his code 100%).  I did a little more last year.  I expect some of what I am doing now will be of benefit in the future. its more a strategic union, between us.  We have different goals, but the same middleware needed writing.  I' cool with that too.

- GS

I agree gsanders. That is why I put TBA on the last update in terms of release date. You are working on phantasy, a few of the modellers are working on their own projects or uni and we all have real life stuff too so it really is (like kevinflemming said) ready when it is ready. I am not making the mistake again of throwing down a release date, doing nothing but adding pressure where it wasn't needed.

Back
Top Bottom