Warriors of Russia

Users who are viewing this thread

Cèsar de Quart said:
So, people, what do you think? It's surely awesome, but do you think it's accurate? I think most of the items are, but I'd like further advise

I'd like to hear that question answered as well  :wink:  I found this thread after finishing my Rus pack, and I wish I had seen it earlier.  It's full of useful info.  I may have to expand the pack somewhat...

Narf of Picklestink said:
Cèsar de Quart said:
So, people, what do you think? It's surely awesome, but do you think it's accurate? I think most of the items are, but I'd like further advise

I'd like to hear that question answered as well  :wink:  I found this thread after finishing my Rus pack, and I wish I had seen it earlier.  It's full of useful info.  I may have to expand the pack somewhat...

Good news!

NikeBG said:
You are wrong. Very wrong. :smile:
For a "short" explanation, see this old post of mine (over at the TWC forum) or for a more general one, see the text of the Bulgarian preview of the TGC mod (in a spoiler text-box near the end of the first post).
Or, basically, once upon a time there were some Bulgars living to the north of the Caucasus and in modern Ukraine. They eventually formed a large state, which the Byzantines later called "Old Great Bulgaria", but after its founder died, his five sons divided it between themselves. The neighbouring Khazars took advantage and conquered the lands of the oldest brother, while the other four fled to different directions - the second fled north where he created Volga Bulgaria (in modern Russia), the third fled to the Balkans where he created Danubian Bulgaria (the currently existing one), while the fourth and fifth fled first to modern Hungary (at that time - the Avar khaganate) and then dispersed, respectively to modern Macedonia and to modern Italy. The one you're thinking about, Volga Bulgaria, eventually became a great mercantile state (at least until the Mongols invaded), a meeting point of Europe, the Muslim world (VB itself became Muslim around the 9th century) and the Far East. And they were very close to Kievan Rus. One of the Volga Bulgar histories, the Jagfar Tarihi (of disputed authenticity) even claims that Kiev itself was originally created by the Bulgars and then got taken over by the Rus (rather doubtful, but it shows they certainly had close contacts, especially since VB was one of the main opponents of the early eastern Russian principalities).
Also, Bulgars and Bulgarians are different things - Bulgars are the old people from the steppes, while Bulgarians are the Danubian mix of the old Bulgars, the local Slavs and the Balkan locals. Most basically it could be said that this mix became complete around the middle of the 9th century, when Danubian Bulgaria was converted to Christianity and developed its own Slavic liturgies and literature, which eventually spread and greatly influenced the other Slavic Orthodox nations (Serbs and Russians), as well as some others.
You're totally right, excuse me for my confused previous message. In fact I managed to read about them in the following days I had written this message, and what I read was telling as you just said here.
Thank you anyway!

pan-boroda said:
and yet, as far as I can see a number of soldiers bahterets. In the 12-13 age they were not. They appeared in 14-15 century.

There's no bahterets, as far as I can see. Only very typical Byzantine-like lamellar. Those were usual among Byzantines and Russians for most of the X-XVth Centuries.

Cèsar de Quart said:
pan-boroda said:
and yet, as far as I can see a number of soldiers bahterets. In the 12-13 age they were not. They appeared in 14-15 century.

There's no bahterets, as far as I can see. Only very typical Byzantine-like lamellar. Those were usual among Byzantines and Russians for most of the X-XVth Centuries.

1244370935_untitled-8.jpg

000088.jpg

mail--PlatearmourRus17thc.jpg

compare with the top row in the middle .. there are similarities? Bahterets - representative of the mixed (Chain and timber) type of protective equipment, where the armor or chain mail on his chest, sides and back flat attached small metal plate (the board).

Although in any case the author is brilliant. Given that I myself would never could have done, a great mind to respect

Back
Top Bottom