Warning: all mods need all vanilla <DependedModules>

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello everyone. I'm here to report something we just discovered while troubleshooting the new Tournament XP Enabler mod on the Nexus. Basically it was having issues for many people because the launcher wouldn't put it in the right load order: fact is, the problem came from the fact that even though the mod's submodule.xml was correct with all its dependencies, other mods running concurrently didn't. Apparently, as of now whenever you have even just one mod that doesn't list them all, the launcher screws up the entire load order. This means, in short, that while this could not be an issue for your mod, it could break someone else's, even though the two mods would otherwise be absolutely compatible with each other.

This can be a troubleshooting nightmare in these early days, as modders could get feedback about issues they can't reproduce, as the actual culprit could very well be another mod.

As such, at least until the launcher is fixed to let us manually set the mod load order, I would suggest every mod maker to put this in their submodule.xml, even if it wouldn't be necessary for that specific mod alone:

<DependedModules>
<DependedModule Id="Native"/>
<DependedModule Id="SandBoxCore"/>
<DependedModule Id="Sandbox"/>
<DependedModule Id="CustomBattle"/>
<DependedModule Id="StoryMode" />
</DependedModules>

When all mods you are running have this complete list of dependencies, then the launcher orders them correctly and issues such as the aforementioned one seem to be prevented.

Last edited:
Just adding another report that sometimes "forcing" the dependencies on a mod could cause some other bugs. The very same player that discovered this load order behaviour also reported a short while ago that by doing that on a smithing mod, somehow it caused his character to become invisible on some scenes.

Can't imagine why, as the whole thing is just supposed to "force load" vanilla "mods" that the game loads anyway, with the only difference of ensuring they load before custom made mods (as they should), but the game (and its launcher) are in such an early development stage that... well, who knows.

I have myself done this to the half a dozen mods I'm running right now and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but just be advised there's a possibility even this might not be a 100% solution for compatibility until Taleworlds themselves sort the launcher issues.

Back
Top Bottom