Warband single-player testers needed -- looking for modders, esp. scripters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers, all.

It's time to start getting some Beta testers to try out the new single player features for Warband.

In order to do this, we're looking specifically for modders, in particular, for modders who work with scripting. The rationale here is that scripters will probably have a better idea of what the system can do -- and, more importantly for me, about the nature of testing scripts. This will also give them a preview of some of the new tools available for mods.

So, anyway, if you've worked extensively on a mod, and would like to help with what's coming up in Warband, please post here and then PM Singil with your name and a brief description of what you've done.

A couple of things:

1) I don't know how many people will be chosen, and there will probably be a preference for those with whose work we are already familiar. If you have done extensive modding, and you aren't selected, please don't take it as a judgement on your mod. It might just mean that we haven't given your mod a try.

2) Given that the selection system will probably be a bit arbitrary and unfair, please don't clamor to be selected! A PM to Singil and a single, short post here should suffice.

3) Modders will probably not need to be told this, but you're getting an unfinished product. You'll run into game-killing bugs. You'll have to start and discard characters fairly regularly. "Devs pls fix this now!!!" messages will not be terribly welcome.

4) New -- there will be a strong bias in favor of those who demonstrate at least a willingness to try to communicate. Less than perfect English? That's fine. "u r" or "plz"? I may delete your post.

Anyway, with those caveats in mind, I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

I'd be interested, I'll send Singil a PM.

one question, would we get a module system with this so we can tweak it a little and/or test out new operations?  When I test my mods I usually modify the game menu to create a 'quick start' character, have a modding menu when I can move booksellers and npc's, add some gold, troops, items, etc, so I'd like to be able to do something like this and/or be able to test out the new tools/options if possible.

Blast me and my non-knowledge of python!

Alright well, since it seems you're giving access to people that don't know python, I figure I might as well apply, considering I do have a lot of free time and all :razz:

Message to Singil send..

I don't know what I'm supposed to tell in this short message.. I'll just do it quicker than I did in the PM to Singil..

Devolping the next version of the mod I am leading (Europe 1200) I have made some new scripts and game features, the most original thing I have done is changing the randomly_start_war_peace script so factions need to be in a certain range of each other to declare war against each other (to prevent factions like Ireland and Hungary to declare war on each other). Some other stuff I have done is adding the possibility to "force the women" in villages for higher party morale, and being able to rob merchants..

I realize it isn't anything impressing when you compare to what other people have done, but I hope its enough..

Will those qualify who know Python but have never modded M&B specifically?

If you've done a bit of programming/scripting and have contributed significantly to another mod, that should be okay.

Would we get a module system with this so we can tweak it a little and/or test out new operations?

That would be a good idea. Let me check with Armagan.

Blast, I knew I should have sacrificed my work at PSU for the sake of finishing my mod over the past few months.

The current release of my mod exhibits nothing of my Python skills, but on the off chance that they'll be looking for someone no verifiable credentials whatsoever I'm going to send that PM anyway.

I know bits and pieces of all different aspects of modding, so I'll be ready to help out, and test the capabilities of Warband.

On the subject of the third rule, do you want us to PM/Post the bugs we do indeed find? Or not yet?

Do you want us to PM/Post the bugs we do indeed find?

Not yet -- I need to get up a list of known loose ends (ie, stuff I haven't scripted yet). This is still early days, so I'll need to get up a longer post explaining what sort of stuff I need, and what sort of stuff should wait until we're closer to release.

< Graphical experience in four different 3d packages 3dsMax, Maya, Softimage XSI, and Zbrush.
I have beta tested and created graphics for "Revenge of the Berserk" & "Star Wars Calradia", I also have some basic knowledge writing scripts in Maya with MEL.

I would do it save that I'm working on another mod.  And that my knowledge of Python probably isn't as good as others who are applying.

I don't have many modding credentials, but I am a scripting contributor to the Peninsular War mod, and I like to think that I am quite competent with the module system. I would certainly enjoy testing the single player, and I've pm'ed my application in now.  :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom