Warband Script Enhancer 2 (v1.1.2.0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Strings read later overwrite those before. So module strings have priority.
I don't know what is your problem. The language of wse2 is changed ingame settings.

Is this possible to add support for Persistent Lord of the Rings 2.0 mod? Would be great. I play this mod on lowest graphics settings to avoid crashes during travelling=map/server changes (you need to travel a lot in this mod) and I would love to see Middle-Earth at full details. It would be so epic for this mod to have WSE2 support. (PLotR 2.0 is developed still by its devs and new versions arrive quite often so plotr wse2 addon would have to be updated too from time to time).

Support and updating of the mod files should be handled by its developers. I have released the instructions.

Then, please, answer to my questions...

III.
  1. You say we have two options depending on where the shader files are located, id est if they're inside a single BRF package or if they're inside one or more BRF packages that include other resources. I have no clue, however, for which files I've to look. Can you give me the exact names of these shader files?
  2. Once I have extracted the files from the module's BRF packages, either by cutting and pasting them from the BRFs that contains them or by simply extracting that single BRF which is supposed to include all the shaders in one place, how can I proceed with compiling? It's mentioned that I have to run the "build_shaders.bat" file, but where is it supposed to take the information to compile the shaders? Shall I simply put the files I've found in the sub-folder "Shaders" of the WSE2 SDK directory?
  3. What does it mean "If setled flag shf_uses_skinning, then technique name and technique name with skin swapped"?
IV.
  1. You mentioned the "fx sources", but what's the name of the files that constitute these sources? This to know if they're included in the materials I have or if they aren't, and in the latter case I can specifically ask for these files to the author instead of asking for all the shader files.
  2. What does it mean "You need to transfer all found changes to your module shader sources file."? Also, if the Warband native shaders are the native shaders and if the "mbsrc.fx" file is provided with the WSE2 SDK kit, when do the "fx sources", specific of the module I'm converting, enter in action in this process?
A general question: which version of Python shall I use? The latest or the older one suggested for the Warband's module system?

Judging by your questions, you did not do modding. Therefore, I'm not sure that you should start with this instruction.
I understand your point, but to date I see only me and my friend Valamis, respectively an entry level modder who aims to revive an old crusades mod and a moderator from the "Persistent Lord Of The Rings Online", willing to port their favorite modules into your new engine. I'm speaking frankly and I'm not trying to force you, I just ask you to consider if, for the popularity of your work, you should start with addressing these two person in converting their modules (so that they will be able eventually to do it for other mods) or instead await until the head developer of a mod will do a conversion and without even the need to ask for further instructions.

Also, when I proposed in the Steam workshop forums of "the Last Days of the Third Age of Middle Earth" mod to create a patch for your engine, I got no answers at all. This is a minor failure for me, because I'll not be able to play with many agents in that module, but it's a considerable sadness for this venture as that mod is very popular and it would have brought part of its popularity and visibility into your truly worthy project.

In either case I'm sure the decision you will take will be the right one, as you've the bigger picture of the situation, you keep track of bugs so efficiently and you know how much time is needed for each operation: if it would take more to teach, to do it by yourself, or if it's better to wait for more skilled modders.

Also, when I proposed in the Steam workshop forums of "the Last Days of the Third Age of Middle Earth" mod to create a patch for your engine, I got no answers at all. This is a minor failure for me, because I'll not be able to play with many agents in that module, but it's a considerable sadness for this venture as that mod is very popular and it would have brought part of its popularity and visibility into your truly worthy project.
There exists a TLD version compatible with WSE2, you can find all the needed informations in this post:
It is only working with one specific mod version because the mod is getting updated constantly and, to my knowledge, the TLD developers did not want to invest additional time into keeping it compatible with WSE2.

There is also a tutorial for how to port a module to WSE2:
If modders are failing at specific steps they need to explain at which point they need more details or help, so that the tutorial can get improved.

Your questions above seem to be more about shaders than WSE2, so you should read up more infos about shaders. Here is a basic tutorial, it's explained within I think:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/shader-tutorial-by-scion.300499/
Swyter also explains it here:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/ask-how-to-create-shaders.296795/#post-7048682
Here a perhaps other useful tutorial about how to add shaders to a module:

And you need to use a Python 2.* version.

If no one else wants to do it for you, then you have to do it yourself if you really want to. TLD is OSP so you have all needed files at your disposal. You always may create a custom branch for TLD with your WSE2 compatibility hook.
who aims to revive an old crusades mod
The shader files of SoF were not published (as we have already established), so this goal will not be achieved.
I'm speaking frankly and I'm not trying to force you, I just ask you to consider if, for the popularity of your work, you should start with addressing these two person in converting their modules (so that they will be able eventually to do it for other mods) or instead await until the head developer of a mod will do a conversion and without even the need to ask for further instructions.
What are you asking K700 for who did all the needed work with writing the guide? Now it is developers' turn to make their mods compatible with WSE2. No further instructions are necessary, you clearly do not understand how basic stuff works with regards to modding and its division of labor.

I'm sorry, I thought my questions were related to precise matters, such as certain file names or particular points during certain operations, so that, once answered, I would have been able to proceed with the conversion, but you tell me otherwise and that I should just learn modding; I suppose you're right, then (even if, regarding Sands Of Faith, the answer I got from its author was that he published everything, so forgive my confusion).
We can only hope that skilled mod developers will make conversions for their own modules and ignorant people like me will stop pestering.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of bug reports, hoping they'll help at addressing possible bugs.
  1. In Viking Conquest, when in inventory or trade menu screens, some textures of the horse icons are black (namely the saddle), but only when the item is not selected (screenshot here), while it's a very minor issue, maybe it's a symptom of another problem;
  2. I've noticed, so far in Napoleonic Wars but this happens in Full Invasion Osiris too and I fear in all the other modules, that there's an issue with distant texture rendering on units (shown here, here and here), what happens is basically texture flickering that's visible on soldiers heads and saddles: sometimes hairs under hats are shown and sometimes horse skin is shown behind the saddle that covers it;
  3. In Napoleonic Wars starting a Custom Battle results in a crash to desktop (logs here and here).
I hope this will be useful.

Last edited:
Good day, please, apologize me but, after extensive tests with zooming all the way in using other modules, I can tell the issue is related only to the Napoleonic Wars DLC. I was mistaken when I said that it appeared in Full Invasion Osiris, I realized there it was because of a bug on the mod's end (which, sometimes, gives hairs to orcs, and they appear to have hairs over their helmets, something absolutely unrelated to the Warband Script Enhancer).

It shall be noted, however, that the spyglasses of Napoleonic Wars grant a greater level of zoom, I suspect, making noticeable things that cannot be seen otherwise in other modules by the Shift key mean (which is used, in Napoleonic Wars to change the character's movement speed).

I'd ask you to look first on the crash to desktop when trying to run a custom battle with Napoleonic Wars (which happens even with default troops settings, so it's easy to reproduce if it's not a problem on my end), in this way it would be easier for me to create a video showing the bug. I tried to catch the moment when playing online, but it's tricky.

-Added bSyncBlockDirections config option.
-Fixed fWeaponPointsPerLevel, fSkillPointsPerLevel, fAttributePointsPerLevel config options.
-Fixed icons for items on inventory screen.
-Fixed ti_on_agent_spawn trigger - missing trigger_param_2 (entry_no).

It shall be noted, however, that the spyglasses of Napoleonic Wars grant a greater level of zoom, I suspect, making noticeable things that cannot be seen otherwise in other modules by the Shift key mean (which is used, in Napoleonic Wars to change the character's movement speed).
The Spyglass does not modify hardcoded Shift zoom but acts independently of it due to coding. Download NW's source code if you wish to learn how it works, but I can tell you it is pure ModSys scripting. If it works differently in WSE2 and vanilla, it may be something with the former's malfunctioning operation.

Back
Top Bottom