In Progress Warband on Steam crashes at first hurdle

Users who are viewing this thread

dejvid221h

Recruit
Just a couple of days ago the Steam version of Warband, on Windows, started to fail at launch.
When I click to run Warband in the steam client the PLAY button switches to CANCEL then a pop up window offers me CD keys and I hit the play button. The pop up window then disappears and the Steam button goes to STOP and after a few seconds it reverts to PLAY
There is a .vdf file created each time but that doesn't give me any clues as to what the problem is.
I have tried deleting everything and reinstalling.

On Linux Steam launches Warband without any problem.

Just a couple of days ago the Steam version of Warband, on Windows, started to fail at launch.
When I click to run Warband in the steam client the PLAY button switches to CANCEL then a pop up window offers me CD keys and I hit the play button. The pop up window then disappears and the Steam button goes to STOP and after a few seconds it reverts to PLAY
There is a .vdf file created each time but that doesn't give me any clues as to what the problem is.
I have tried deleting everything and reinstalling.

On Linux Steam launches Warband without any problem.
I want to throw my hat into this ring.

My Steam copy no longer launches either. Steam says it opens, but it doesn't get any further than that. Using a non-Steam .exe, like the one found in the Standalone download, works fine, but obviously I lose my access to the Steam Workshop.

That being said, follow Earendil's advice and you can acquire a working standalone installation, or just copy the standalone .exe over to the Steam installation. It will launch fine and you'll have Steam Overlay, just no Workshop.

You can try to install the standalone version of the game which you can download from the official homepage of TaleWorlds. That one can be activated with the steam key too.

That's true I can and I can also play on Linux but my mod was producing errors just before this happened and I want to verify that the steam version won't still produce them. And there are minor extras you get from Steam. So while this is a minor problem it does sound the kind of thing that would be easy enough to solve.

What I haven't thought of is the OS which you might be using? What Windows is it? I am using Windows 7, so that might make the difference. GOt it in mind when another bug report regarding this topic got posted:
I am using windows 10.

(I do get that given there are alternatives this isn't a priority given that there doesn't seem to be an easy solution.)

What I haven't thought of is the OS which you might be using? What Windows is it? I am using Windows 7, so that might make the difference. GOt it in mind when another bug report regarding this topic got posted:
Hey! I believe I'm the guy who posted the other thread you mentioned. I think the link you posted here leads to this thread and not mine?:grin:

Anyway, it might be a Win 11 problem, since opening M&B Warband in a Windows 10 works flawlessly.

Back
Top Bottom