Warband on console

Users who are viewing this thread

Chewbacca

Sergeant Knight
I shouldn't even be asking this since I think I already know the answer, but have you guys ever thought of making Warband for the consoles?

Thank you!

Dont know if it would be the same, theres so many more things you can do on a computers keyboard than you can do with a controllers 10 - 12 buttons..also the mouse is an important part of the m&b experience..

But I wouldnt complain if they were thinking of doing something like this, It'd really interest me to see what they would create (in terms of making it a fun experience like on the PC)

SPD_Phoenix said:
How do you mod a console game?

This. Mods are an integral part of the community and the game for most people. Its pretty rare to find a commercial game like this that is almost 100% moddable.

I think the multiplayer aspect would be enough for console. And the multiplayer doesn't need mods imo.
Also, I don't see how you absolutely need a keyboard for this. You have left stick and right stick for movement and block/attack direction, left and right trigger for block and attack. A for jump, X for kick, Y for secondary weapon function. D pad for weapon changing, etc etc.

Oh, but we shouldn't give them ideas. Wouldn't want them to dumb down the sequel for consoles.

I think the game really would work well on a console, but the mod point is there and, well, if they can't find a way past that, it needs to stay on the computer.

Rewjeo said:
I think the game really would work well on a console, but the mod point is there and, well, if they can't find a way past that, it needs to stay on the computer.

No, just because a game has mods on computer doesn't mean it can't be on the console, look at other games like The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, on console and PC, PC has the mods of it all. 

Frosty. said:
Rewjeo said:

No, just because a game has mods on computer doesn't mean it can't be on the console, look at other games like The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, on console and PC, PC has the mods of it all.

...and look what happened to the series. I almost want to dig up a news report on it but basically...

the next elder scroll games is suppose to be more mainstream.

Ok, I will try and answer this with a few points.

- Ideally use the same code base or make it largely the same with minor modifications. I'm not sure about PS platform but I do know this can be achieved for Xbox via XNA, which can work for both PC and Xbox.
- Different releases means potential of different variations of bugs, which Taleworlds would have to fix. They are busy enough as is with just 2 PC versions. Take a look in bug tracker if you wanna know.
- Consoles have a much more rigorous testing process before games are released. If you look at Warband and WFaS on release, these games probably won't pass well.
- One of the best aspects of Mount & Blade is its mod community. It helps extend the game far beyond native and adds additional hours of entertainment. Modding on consoles is difficult to say the least.

Now, its not that I believe this game won't work for consoles. The controls are not complex like in an RTS so it is doable. However, the amount of effort required to develop this game for multiple platforms just doesn't seem feasible at present.

- Consoles have a much more rigorous testing process before games are released. If you look at Warband and WFaS on release, these games probably won't pass well.

Having played a bunch of PC games that were simultaneously released on consoles (Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, Fallout: NV, Dragon Age 2, just to name a few), I am going to say that this is....not true. The reality of contemporary commercial video-game development is that all games are released pre-maturely to meet publisher deadlines, then patched. That sort of practice would never have been acceptable before hi-speed internet became wide-spread to North American households. But I digress.

- One of the best aspects of Mount & Blade is its mod community. It helps extend the game far beyond native and adds additional hours of entertainment. Modding on consoles is difficult to say the least.

Agree. In fact, this is an alternative model for independent game developers--to leverage modding communities to provide enhancements to the game in order to compete with commercial game developers who receive influx of capital from publishers but are subject to far more constraints.

But here is the most important thing: I am not aware of any major console where modding the game is legal. Anyone? The proprietory preoccupation of major console developers will never allow such a thing.

Now, its not that I believe this game won't work for consoles. The controls are not complex like in an RTS so it is doable. However, the amount of effort required to develop this game for multiple platforms just doesn't seem feasible at present.

Has anyone who replied to this thread actually tried to play MnB or MnB: Warband using a gamepad controller (and XPadder or similar controller software to make it work)? I have, and I can tell you that for this game to be successful on console, it would need to significantly dumb-down the controls. It also needs to remove the comparably steep learning curve for this game ('comparably' steep to most FPS or TPS). Let's face it, this game appeals to a small segment of gamers, ones who are glutton for punishment and actually enjoy it when even learning the controls is a mini-game in and of itself (some game that I can think of which also have steep learning curves and appeal to a small segment of gamers are games like X2 or X3). Not trying to generalize all console gamers, but many lack attention spans and couldn't be bothered to play games where they did not immediately 'pwn' within 5 minutes of picking up the controller.

Also, the graphics for MnB is outdated (even if this means it's capable of running on more machines) and would not appeal to most console gamers. 

Back
Top Bottom