Warband Matchmaking Client (WBMM) [v1.8 BETA]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Faebio said:
for someone who actually had people on the internet stalk me with bad intentions it very much seems the opposite to me. Its just a game, cheaters mostly kill their own fun, being stalked or having information stolen is not fun, grow up?
which stolen information and which bad intentions pls. all of you are just making things up imo. feel free to prove me wrong

Its already done, Mynes now knows that it cant be done this way so calm down ffs. If you dont have anything constructive to say be quiet, we already know some people think Mynes is Robin Hood while others think he is Hitler. MM is still the best way to play warband imo, and i am thankfull about it, so lets work to make it better ?

Fietta said:
It's not about sacrificing his profile, he didn't even understand the complications, the amount of flame on this thread wasn't planned... You can't be giving praise to catching 3 cheaters at the cost of doing something illegal even if it wasn't his intention. People are sweet talking for the sake of being nice or just ill-educated.

I just don't find it right in me, to public shame Mynes who took a risk for a cause bigger than any of you (himself included) to offer solution of some sort, broke the law in process. He won't be regulated, though - because he cannot do anything with your data. I don't think you know what you are talking about when you refer to your personal data, anyway.

What personal data, anyway? Even the passwords you use to enter in websites have fancy little stars on them. Your email is literally filling up with entry attempts to your youtube, twitter, facebook accounts daily...from china, US and what-not. You literally live in a world of notifications and since you are not playing with millions of dollars, noone really cares about your little bank accounts. I don't think robbers of that sort will not take a lifetime of prison for a funny a few thousands, not a good trade. Chances of Mynes doing anything with your personal data is as close to a man breaking your home tonight. Banks have their own insurance policies at-place, just for incidents like this.

Looking at a bigger picture here. This is as innocent as MOSS, 2012-tournament admins going from teamspeak to teamspeak and checking game logs to catch cheating activities. This is like a small epoch for warband, a moment of honesty.

Many of the great epochs also broke the law at their times. How can you change something without breaking it, anyway? It is just about you have the balls to do something about it. And those who join the bandwagon over their personal datas only care about themselves rightfully, selfishly.

Only real damage here has been given to the matchmaking here. And, many discussions will be held in future for this incident today.

And - If you are looking for someone to blame, it is the cheaters that forced people like Mynes to take such extreme actions or you, who really did nothing about it all this time.

I only wish you don't blame Mynes who wanted to do something about it. However - If you find it right in you, to public shame someone who took action over an issue that you also were perfectly capable to do something about but chose not do anything, and then still shame the guy afterwards anyway. If that ticks with you, then it is not people like you the world needs and I will cheer on the next real effort, even if that compromises you or me.

**** it, really. Keep shining, Mynes. Keep doing the right thing, I trust in you friendo.

I will kill you if you try to rob me thou

A good friend of mine who is a much more experienced web-dev than me, told me that it's possible and probably more viable to make matchmaking completely web-based. Current MM really has no need to be installed on your OS and a web-based solution wouldn't have such privacy concerns.

We probably could do it.
0zVG18N.jpg

Honestly speaking I wasn't expecting this outcome at all but now I understand why what I did was wrong and I've already mentioned that I've broken a law without realizing and that I had good intention. I also understand why I lost some credibility due to this and I tried my best to make up for it by even releasing the source code - hundreds of hours of work - and also deleted all in-game screenshots that have been taken.

I did something wrong so accept my apology and also thanks to people that have trusted me with this although you didn't really have to.

Tork789 said:
A good friend of mine who is a much more experienced web-dev than me, told me that it's possible and probably more viable to make matchmaking completely web-based. Current MM really has no need to be installed on your OS and a web-based solution wouldn't have such privacy concerns.

We probably could do it.
0zVG18N.jpg

No thanks.

Mynes said:
Honestly speaking I wasn't expecting this outcome at all but now I understand why what I did was wrong and I've already mentioned that I've broken a law without realizing and that I had good intention. I also understand why I lost some credibility due to this and I tried my best to make up for it by even releasing the source code - hundreds of hours of work - and also deleted all in-game screenshots that have been taken.

I did something wrong so accept my apology and also thanks to people that have trusted me with this although you didn't really have to.
If it means anything I hold no grudge against you and personally don't think you had malicious intents, however you probably should've thought this through a little more.

Apollo~ said:
Tork789 said:

We probably could do it.
0zVG18N.jpg

No thanks.
What if I promise that we'll make it opensource from the start as well as write a documentation so any willing person could implement it on his server?

Tork789 said:
Mynes said:

If it means anything I hold no grudge against you and personally don't think you had malicious intents, however you probably should've thought this through a little more.

Apollo~ said:
Tork789 said:

We probably could do it.
0zVG18N.jpg

No thanks.
What if I promise that we'll make it opensource from the start as well as write a documentation so any willing person could implement it on his server?

OY VEY this is a community thing, do you want us to make crowdfounding? lol. Feels kinda wrong asking for money for something like this, specially when Mynes already made his own code opensource.

Well, tbh i kinda feel sad for Mynes. I mean in worst case he could be sued for this.
Coding + internet can lead into serious problems if you don't think what you do.
It's obvious that Mynes really didn't think what he was doing, but that doesn't make him any more trustworthy in my eyes.

Steam is not the only software which has in-game overlay. It's not about private chats alone since screenshots could be taken while you browse the web too.
I never installed matchmaking. If you value your security/privacy you shouldn't install software from untrusted source. (basic thing actually)
Doesn't matter how much people around here praise Mynes. I don't know him, i don't trust him. Nothing personal.
If my screenshots would have been captured, i'd be furious and scared. Can totally understand those reactions.
Now as the code is open source i start to wonder, does it also tell what installer does or includes? Not like i had the time to go through the code anyway..
Just wanna advice you people to not use software you don't trust.

Give someone trustworthy oversight of the project while keeping Mynes on for development etc so he retains any rights or whatever.

Whoever is given oversight gets final say on any additions and if/when there's any anti-cheat they are in charge of ensuring privacy retained and informed consent is obtained.

Then use the MM system for all tournaments and clan matches. Mandatory anti-cheat is a godsend for competitive warband.

Who's to say who can and can't be trusted?

On the point of anticheat, which I agree is a good thing, where is moss ToS and privacy policy? I posted about not trusting moss in the bcm thing, and left it at that, but seeing this I thought I would read what exactly moss has as agreement for using it, but I cant find any information on it at all on their website. Why should we put privacy and pc at risk for the sake of in this case three cheaters being caught?

There has to be better ways that are more safer and transparent then putting trust into unheard of third party programme or strangers on this forum. You shouldn't be trusting anyone you've never met with potentially sensitive information.

If I am blind and missed on their website for moss the ToS and Privacy Policy please post it as I'm curious, but I cant see why we should be trusting it so blindly. If we can't ensure people's safety and privacy we shouldn't be recommending anything to anyone, no matter for the cause because means don't justify an end.

DarkLight said:
Tork789 said:
Mynes said:

Apollo~ said:
Tork789 said:

We probably could do it.
0zVG18N.jpg

No thanks.

OY VEY this is a community thing, do you want us to make crowdfounding? lol. Feels kinda wrong asking for money for something like this, specially when Mynes already made his own code opensource.
I don't have that much free time to code it, as it would take hundreds of hours. But if I was paid for my time I could make a professionally made product everyone could use for free and not die of hunger in the process, I see nothing wrong in expecting your fair labour to be paid for, especially since I don't plan to monetize the app by including spyware ads and pay-to-win schemes or outright asking for a paid subscription.

Mynes made his code opensource, but how many of you can actually use it to start your own matchmaking server?

But nevermind, I was just merely pondering on the thought, the reaction is pretty much what I expected.

I think it's silly to claim we need trustworthy oversight; Mynes asked several people on whether the idea was good or not and none of them pointed at it being bad. I don't see how a trustworthy oversight would prevent something similar to happen, but I do see how it would hamper Mynes's commitment to the continued development of the project.

The code is right there, and I can tell you that it does this and only this: it takes a screenshot of your desktop screen when Mynes presses a button and Warband is in the foreground. When using the steam overlay, Warband can still be in the foreground. It does nothing else as it actually has nothing to do with Moss; it was just coded with the idea of Moss in the back of his mind.

Yes, it was morally wrong and illegal for Mynes to take screenshots without consent. However, he can't do more than he has currently done. If you lost your trust/never had any trust, then feel free to uninstall it. If you really feel wronged, sue him. As far as I'm concerned, however, it's almost all settled with the following:

- A proper apology (done)
- Deletion of the screenshots gained without consent (done)
- Implicit consent through using the client (done, but not enough)
- Explicit consent using a checkbox (not done yet)

For me, that's enough to trust Mynes enough to not pull such a stunt again. If you don't agree with it then don't play, but your point has been made. I feel community members can think for themselves about whether or not to trust Mynes on his apology and promise to improve.

OurGloriousLeader said:
Give someone trustworthy oversight of the project while keeping Mynes on for development etc so he retains any rights or whatever.

Whoever is given oversight gets final say on any additions and if/when there's any anti-cheat they are in charge of ensuring privacy retained and informed consent is obtained.

Then use the MM system for all tournaments and clan matches. Mandatory anti-cheat is a godsend for competitive warband.

you rang?

Efe Karacar said:
What personal data, anyway? Even the passwords you use to enter in websites have fancy little stars on them. Your email is literally filling up with entry attempts to your youtube, twitter, facebook accounts daily...from china, US and what-not. You literally live in a world of notifications and since you are not playing with millions of dollars, noone really cares about your little bank accounts. I don't think robbers of that sort will not take a lifetime of prison for a funny a few thousands, not a good trade. Chances of Mynes doing anything with your personal data is as close to a man breaking your home tonight. Banks have their own insurance policies at-place, just for incidents like this.
with the knowledge of how many characters your password is, it would lower the time needed for someone to hack ur facebook (depending on how complicated the password is) from years to possibly a couple of minutes btw.

sotamursu123 said:
with the knowledge of how many characters your password is, it would lower the time needed for someone to hack ur facebook (depending on how complicated the password is) from years to possibly a couple of minutes btw.
^ Entirely true with a brute-force approach, if anyone was curious. You waste no time trying passwords of shorter or longer lengths, and because the number of characters is fixed the number of permutations is finite rather than infinite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom