Status
Not open for further replies.
Fietta said:
PhantomMaB said:
Fietta said:
Hardware ID mechanism... Interesting.

eosVzmH.png
Yes

Explain what methods are used to collect this data etc.

probably like windows license??

_Osiris_ said:
PhantomMaB said:
We have updated to version 2.0.2, the changes are listed below.

Version 2.0.2
- Added Hardware ID mechanism to counter ban evading, smurfing and multi-accounting

i guess you should add some kind of rule first about only having one account before banning people for it ^^

You won't get banned for making multiple accounts, you just can't make more than one per pc.

PhantomMaB said:
Fietta said:
Explain what methods are used to collect this data etc.
A hash is collected of the following specs and is used as the Hardware ID:
MotherBoard
Operating system
BIOS
CPU

Nothing is collected in plain readable text.

Example: fa832d9fc33cb4d49369f857b5b36d19

Why is this data collected? Is it needed to play WBMM?

HKP said:
I'm not sure if you're aware but the battle scene was completly dead before WBMM. Even while IG BG was up it was always empty 24 hours a day.

This is not true.

Before WBMM IG was regularly populated. Jest said it was the most regularly populated of all his servers. Whenever a few players seeded it more joined. 

That said, it is not a problem for anyone to do with IG whether it is populated or not. It is a service, it is there if you want it, it is fine if you don't.

Aeronwen said:
PhantomMaB said:
Fietta said:
MotherBoard
Operating system
BIOS
CPU

It is used so they can catch people who decide to use another key or VPN or a combination of both to play if they are banned. You can change your IP and Key but you can't change any of the Mobo and CPU without changing them for other parts (ofc im talking about the hardware)

correct me if im wrong :grin:

A tip would be to schedule the release of new updates by posting here the new update will all the changes including the policy changes and a date when it's going to be released, that way the community can pick up different problems. It seems the update is released and then all the information is updated, people will update the client and continue to play without knowing about the privacy policy changes as there's no post about the update.

Fietta said:
A tip would be to schedule the release of new updates by posting here the new update will all the changes including the policy changes and a date when it's going to be released, that way the community can pick up different problems. It seems the update is released and then all the information is updated, people will update the client and continue to play without knowing about the privacy policy changes as there's no post about the update.
The changes are always provided in a list. You read through it before you update the client. If you don't do that, it'll be your own fault.

Apollo~ said:
Aeronwen said:
PhantomMaB said:
Fietta said:
MotherBoard
Operating system
BIOS
CPU

It is used so they can catch people who decide to use another key or VPN or a combination of both to play if they are banned. You can change your IP and Key but you can't change any of the Mobo and CPU without changing them for other parts (ofc im talking about the hardware)

Nothing to correct, 500 IQ.

PhantomMaB said:
Fietta said:
The changes are always provided in a list. You read through it before you update the client. If you don't do that, it'll be your own fault.

Apollo~ said:
Aeronwen said:
PhantomMaB said:
Fietta said:
MotherBoard
Operating system
BIOS
CPU

Nothing to correct, 500 IQ.

I think that is overkill. the balance between players privacy and ensuring players don't evade bans is skewed here. So am I right in thinking this info was being collected without it initially being clear to players?

This is not unheard of, or even uncommon. Chances are your operating system does it too, as you likely use Windows. None of that information is personally identifiable, even if it's decrypted from the hashed state.

Shemaforash said:
Stirring drama at this point, it was announced when it was released and you can read the patch notes on this thread.

I must have misread the previous page.

I have no wish to stir drama, only to ensure that players are properly informed. Some people have already been harmed by the actions of the community and they will probably want to keep away from anything like this.

Aeronwen said:
Shemaforash said:
Stirring drama at this point, it was announced when it was released and you can read the patch notes on this thread.

I must have misread the previous page.

I have no wish to stir drama, only to ensure that players are properly informed. Some people have already been harmed by the actions of the community and they will probably want to keep away from anything like this.
This is what it shows you before you update. If people are uninformed, it would be their own fault for not reading through the "What's new" segment.
nAISuAO.png

Not sure if you are aware, but its also on the font page lol. Doesn't take someone to be smart to 'have a look around' ALSO when you sign up or go onto WBMM you HAVE to accept the privacy policy which allows them to keep such information, if you do not like it then simply DO not play xDDD

fcpCHQk.png

Apollo it's more so if people are informed after the update released. Clearly the privacy policy was updated after it was found out by someone else rather than before. In this case you didn't give consent till after the update released. It's not a big deal but sanity checking is always good before releasing an update.

Quick question out of curiosity, is there a parallel program what everything is tested on? Is It tested on the live program or is it never tested till release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom