Warband in Linux

Users who are viewing this thread

I have tried the beta, and the game works now. However, it still has the same CTD issue as the previous version (Manifest ID 7269461115939809640) where the game would crash when using mods. The same as what I reported before:

Grank said:
Is anybody else having problems after the new patch? I could play with mods just fine for a few days, but now the game crashes whenever it tries to load scenes or sometimes it can even crash just by opening the inventory. I get the same result with various mods, and fiddling with my settings doesn't help at all. It just says segmentation fault and nothing else. I'm running the Steam version on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 64 bit.

Edit:
I think I have done enough testing to make the following conclusion. The game seems to crash because of some texture-caching bug. Most likely because the game tries to fetch from invalid addresses in the memory. I tested this by playing a mod and having two saves with different items in the inventory and different units in the party, so each save loads different textures. Changing "Load Textures on Demand" produces the same behavior, single threading or not.

1. After a fresh boot, load save 1 and the game runs fine. Crashes after what seems to be loading too many textures.
2. Load save 1 again. Immediate crash when opening inventory, party, or scenes.
3. Load save 2, game runs fine. Most likely because the game has to load new textures for save 2 from scratch and it can be fetched properly. However, the game crashes again after loading too many textures. Same as case 1.
4. The crash can also happen when you're exiting a dialog scene and returning to the campaign map. Maybe the campaign map's textures were unloaded when loading the dialogue scene, but when you're going back to the campaign map, the map's textures are invalid just like the other textures.

I hope the devs read this. I found a few people with similar problems while Googling around, but no solution yet.

The game crashes when you try to open your inventory, shops or anything that would require items to be rendered. I have tested with A Clash of Kings (crash), Gekokujo (crash), Perisno (crash) and Prophesy of Pendor (playable).

Ubuntu Mate 16.04.5 on Intel i3 with 8GB RAM and Integrated Intel VGA.

M.ArdA_TaleWorlds said:
Thanks for letting us know! I forwarded this to the team.
Oh okay. I was planning to send a ticket, but that doesn't seem necessary now. Thanks, Arda.

Glad to hear a 64-bit version is being developed. One thing I forgot to mention is that I can run those mods just fine with the March 14 2017 version (Manifest ID 2263559139973911925), so tracing down the changes from that version might help.

M.ArdA_TaleWorlds said:
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
We put out a 64-bit beta build for macOS and Linux distributions last night in preparation for future updates to these operating systems. You can read more about how to access the build here:

taleworlds.com/en/Games/Warband/News/257

Just got the x64 version from gog and installed it. Sadly it doesn't start though (but the libraries are found without any problems and I didn't have to search for them :party: ).
Code:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
I tried both Native and VC.
Any way I could collect more information to help you solving it?
M&B Warband: 2_044_x64_24980
Viking Conquest: 2_044_x64_24980

konsti said:
Here's some system info:
Got the Warband installation files from gog.com
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 64-bit
GNOME 3.28.2
dbus 1.12.2-1ubuntu1
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 0 @ 3.20GHz
Nvidia Quadro 2000

konsti said:
M.ArdA_TaleWorlds said:
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
We put out a 64-bit beta build for macOS and Linux distributions last night in preparation for future updates to these operating systems. You can read more about how to access the build here:

taleworlds.com/en/Games/Warband/News/257

Just got the x64 version from gog and installed it. Sadly it doesn't start though (but the libraries are found without any problems and I didn't have to search for them :party: ).
Code:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
I tried both Native and VC.
Any way I could collect more information to help you solving it?
M&B Warband: 2_044_x64_24980
Viking Conquest: 2_044_x64_24980

konsti said:
Here's some system info:
Got the Warband installation files from gog.com
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 64-bit
GNOME 3.28.2
dbus 1.12.2-1ubuntu1
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 0 @ 3.20GHz
Nvidia Quadro 2000

You could try running the binary with gdb in order to get a backtrace. Assuming the GOGcom build comes with a bash file named "mb_warband.sh", and within you find a line similar to:
Code:
"$PROGRAM_DIRECTORY/mb_warband_linux" "$@"

Replace it with:
Code:
gdb "$PROGRAM_DIRECTORY/mb_warband_linux" "$@"

Then launch the game through a console. That will start the gdb interactive shell. You can run the software with the run command and once it segfault enter backtrace. Providing that backtrace alongside your report will give a hint to the developers about what might have gone wrong.

On another hand, if you have the core dump from the segfault, you could upload that instead. The core dump contain a snapshot of the memory state of the software at the time of the crash, which is extremely useful for a software programmer when trying to pinpoint an issue.

References you might find useful. You're not expected to actually debug the software but understanding your tools is good.
  • http://unknownroad.com/rtfm/gdbtut/gdbsegfault.html
  • https://jvns.ca/blog/2018/04/28/debugging-a-segfault-on-linux/

So, I got the GDB stuff here:
Code:
GNU gdb (Ubuntu 8.1-0ubuntu3) 8.1.0.20180409-git
Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /media/disk/Games/Mount Blade Warband/game/mb_warband_linux...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /media/disk/Games/Mount Blade Warband/game/mb_warband_linux 
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread 0x7fffefc42700 (LWP 2707)]
[New Thread 0x7fffe8d34700 (LWP 2710)]
[New Thread 0x7ffff7fed700 (LWP 2711)]
[New Thread 0x7ffff7fe0700 (LWP 2712)]
[New Thread 0x7fffd7fff700 (LWP 2713)]
[New Thread 0x7fffd77fe700 (LWP 2714)]
[New Thread 0x7fffc65d7700 (LWP 2715)]
[New Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2716)]
[Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2716) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2717)]
[Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2717) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2718)]
[Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2718) exited]

Thread 2 "mb_warband_linu" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fffefc42700 (LWP 2707)]
0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
#1  0x0000000000ed24d8 in rglGraphics_context::initialize_Imp() ()
#2  0x0000000000ec0dd2 in process_directx_call(directx_thread_call const&, bool&) ()
#3  0x0000000000ec190c in process_all_directx_calls(bool&) ()
#4  0x0000000000ec19b2 in directx_thread_step_inner(void*) ()
#5  0x0000000000ec2089 in directx_thread_step(void*) ()
#6  0x0000000000ec2127 in directx_thread(void*) ()
#7  0x00007ffff733f6db in start_thread (arg=0x7fffefc42700) at pthread_create.c:463
#8  0x00007ffff60fb88f in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:95
(gdb)
I just tried to start M&B Warband on the fresh Ubuntu on my ThinkPad and it's working :smile: Maybe reinstalling Ubuntu on my workstation would solve my problem (I did an upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 and there are probably some relicts in the configuration...)

konsti said:
So, I got the GDB stuff here:
Code:
GNU gdb (Ubuntu 8.1-0ubuntu3) 8.1.0.20180409-git
Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /media/disk/Games/Mount Blade Warband/game/mb_warband_linux...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /media/disk/Games/Mount Blade Warband/game/mb_warband_linux 
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread 0x7fffefc42700 (LWP 2707)]
[New Thread 0x7fffe8d34700 (LWP 2710)]
[New Thread 0x7ffff7fed700 (LWP 2711)]
[New Thread 0x7ffff7fe0700 (LWP 2712)]
[New Thread 0x7fffd7fff700 (LWP 2713)]
[New Thread 0x7fffd77fe700 (LWP 2714)]
[New Thread 0x7fffc65d7700 (LWP 2715)]
[New Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2716)]
[Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2716) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2717)]
[Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2717) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2718)]
[Thread 0x7fffc5d56700 (LWP 2718) exited]

Thread 2 "mb_warband_linu" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fffefc42700 (LWP 2707)]
0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
#1  0x0000000000ed24d8 in rglGraphics_context::initialize_Imp() ()
#2  0x0000000000ec0dd2 in process_directx_call(directx_thread_call const&, bool&) ()
#3  0x0000000000ec190c in process_all_directx_calls(bool&) ()
#4  0x0000000000ec19b2 in directx_thread_step_inner(void*) ()
#5  0x0000000000ec2089 in directx_thread_step(void*) ()
#6  0x0000000000ec2127 in directx_thread(void*) ()
#7  0x00007ffff733f6db in start_thread (arg=0x7fffefc42700) at pthread_create.c:463
#8  0x00007ffff60fb88f in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:95
(gdb)
I just tried to start M&B Warband on the fresh Ubuntu on my ThinkPad and it's working :smile: Maybe reinstalling Ubuntu on my workstation would solve my problem (I did an upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 and there are probably some relicts in the configuration...)
Did you install the proper drivers for your hardware?

xrogaan said:
Did you install the proper drivers for your hardware?
Thanks that was the point!
I was using the Noveau driver before and before upgrading to 18.04 it worked. Now I'm using the proprietary Nvidia driver and it's working :smile:

Just came back for a little fun and now the game won't launch in Steam anymore
I've tried in Debian and SteamOS to no avail

Previously I had the same issue until I created "last_module_warband" file and set Native module. Now this doesn't work

- No mods installed (Debian was fresh steam and game install)
- No logfile is generated (press play and says running for about 1 second and then nothing happens)
- Yes...I verified game cache
- Yes I deleted steam download cache

I feel like there is probably a very simple fix but google search was no help because the update is new and all the fixes are outdated  :dead:

McCoy! said:
Just came back for a little fun and now the game won't launch in Steam anymore
I've tried in Debian and SteamOS to no avail

Previously I had the same issue until I created "last_module_warband" file and set Native module. Now this doesn't work

- No mods installed (Debian was fresh steam and game install)
- No logfile is generated (press play and says running for about 1 second and then nothing happens)
- Yes...I verified game cache
- Yes I deleted steam download cache

I feel like there is probably a very simple fix but google search was no help because the update is new and all the fixes are outdated  :dead:
Check the steam client log file, usually under /tmp/dumps/username_stdout.txt

Grank said:
I have tried the beta, and the game works now. However, it still has the same CTD issue as the previous version (Manifest ID 7269461115939809640) where the game would crash when using mods. The same as what I reported before:

Grank said:
Is anybody else having problems after the new patch? I could play with mods just fine for a few days, but now the game crashes whenever it tries to load scenes or sometimes it can even crash just by opening the inventory. I get the same result with various mods, and fiddling with my settings doesn't help at all. It just says segmentation fault and nothing else. I'm running the Steam version on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 64 bit.

Edit:
I think I have done enough testing to make the following conclusion. The game seems to crash because of some texture-caching bug. Most likely because the game tries to fetch from invalid addresses in the memory. I tested this by playing a mod and having two saves with different items in the inventory and different units in the party, so each save loads different textures. Changing "Load Textures on Demand" produces the same behavior, single threading or not.

1. After a fresh boot, load save 1 and the game runs fine. Crashes after what seems to be loading too many textures.
2. Load save 1 again. Immediate crash when opening inventory, party, or scenes.
3. Load save 2, game runs fine. Most likely because the game has to load new textures for save 2 from scratch and it can be fetched properly. However, the game crashes again after loading too many textures. Same as case 1.
4. The crash can also happen when you're exiting a dialog scene and returning to the campaign map. Maybe the campaign map's textures were unloaded when loading the dialogue scene, but when you're going back to the campaign map, the map's textures are invalid just like the other textures.

I hope the devs read this. I found a few people with similar problems while Googling around, but no solution yet.

The game crashes when you try to open your inventory, shops or anything that would require items to be rendered. I have tested with A Clash of Kings (crash), Gekokujo (crash), Perisno (crash) and Prophesy of Pendor (playable).

Ubuntu Mate 16.04.5 on Intel i3 with 8GB RAM and Integrated Intel VGA.

Has there been any work done to resolve this issue yet? Its been a few months and im still getting random CTD's on scene change in Perisno and LDOTTA including sometimes crashing when i open the inventory. Its pretty annoying because the current 64 bit Linux build is perfect aside from the crashes and it seems like something that could be resolved without enormous effort as long the crashes are reproducible by taleworlds.

I've recently installed ubuntu 18.04(64bit) and fired up M&B:WB-NW and I noticed that the music wasn't cycling, I tried both GOG version and Steam version both had same problem: After starting a new multiplayer game the music would only play for one song then just stop completely, everything else was fine but the music just stop playing from that point on.

Turns out after some looking in to it I believe the problem is the libfmodex64.so included with the game; I replaced it with another libfmodex64 library file(replaced version was 4.44) and it fixed the problem and the music cycles correctly now. Chances are if I'm correct this will be a bug that effects all linux distro that use the included library. I couldn't log in to the bug reporting site so I figured I'd leave this here for anybody that comes across this problem.

comradegarry said:
I've recently installed ubuntu 18.04(64bit) and fired up M&B:WB-NW and I noticed that the music wasn't cycling, I tried both GOG version and Steam version both had same problem: After starting a new multiplayer game the music would only play for one song then just stop completely, everything else was fine but the music just stop playing from that point on.

Turns out after some looking in to it I believe the problem is the libfmodex64.so included with the game; I replaced it with another libfmodex64 library file(replaced version was 4.44) and it fixed the problem and the music cycles correctly now. Chances are if I'm correct this will be a bug that effects all linux distro that use the included library. I couldn't log in to the bug reporting site so I figured I'd leave this here for anybody that comes across this problem.
Thanks for reporting this! I forwarded the issue to the dev team. The bug reporting site is not being used for a long time. You can always use the forums to report bugs in the future!

I'm getting CTD issues with running the Steam Linux version of Warband. Happens when changing scenes like when starting battles for example. Is there anything I can do to stop them from happening?

Also had a ragdoll bug, but stopped that by disabling ragdolls.

Back
Top Bottom