Warband in Linux

Users who are viewing this thread

CryptoCactus

Sergeant Knight
As it stands now, Warband appears to be fully functional in Ubuntu (see fixes for major issues below)
Though it may run a little rougher than in its native Windows.

First, see this thread regarding the original M&B in Linux:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,27679.0.html

Using Ubuntu 9.10 and Wine 1.1.39, it's a simple two-step process to get Warband "working":

1.) (May not be necessary) Acquire and install DirectX 9.0c in Wine, or copy data from the .cab files as described in the link above
2.) Run WB installer executable in Wine, as normal

That's it. Now, the skinny on how it works:

What Works "Out of the box"
-Installation
-Single-player campaign (for those who have access to it)
-Battles
-Main map
-All scenes as far as I can tell

What Has Problems
Mouse issues, (workaround below!) same as in the original M&B - can only turn view about 180degrees at default sensitivity (see above linked thread for possible hacks/fixes, this thread for discussion and more possible hacks/fixes, or just crank the sensitivity up)
Multiplayer - game can see servers and pull up information, but says "Unable to connect to server" on all servers (edit: see solution below)
Graphics - minor graphical glitches, such as weird border static on the initial splash screen, the occasional strangely-glowing helmet.. for the most part unnoticeable unless you're looking for it
Sound - WB doesn't seem to like ALSA for some reason - you may have to use OSS (most likely) or ESD. (change audio settings in wineconfig)
ALTERNATIVELY: Change use_winmm_audio from 0 to 1 in rgl_config.txt to use ALSA

If anyone else wants to give it a go, I'd appreciate if you'd share your experiences, especially if they differ from mine. Bear in mind that I am, as I said, an amateur linux hobbyist, but I *am* still tinkering with things and whatzits to see if I can't at least partially solve a few of the problems.

EDIT: MOUSE QUICKFIX
Turns out the simplest mouse solution was right there in the first thread I linked (here).
Here it is in a nutshell, all credit goes to Dilettante:

1. Download this file.
2. Copy the file to /usr/lib/wine/  (note: on 64-bit versions, it may be lib32 instead of lib)

(Steps 3-5 are not mandatory; they're more for ease-of-use)

3. Make a new text file, call it warband.sh or similar
4. In the file, write this and save:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /home/[username]/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Mount\&Blade\ Warband/
export WINEFORCEMOUSEWARP=yes; wine ./mb_warband.exe
Replace [username] with your username, obviously. This is also assuming you've installed everything to default locations - edit as needed.
5. Make the file executable (e.g.: chmod +x warband.sh)

That's it. Running warband.sh will fire up Warband with the mousefix activated. Run it from the console, put it in a menu or on your desktop, whatever you prefer.

Now, this quickfix will occasionally make navigating menus annoying, as any time your mouse touches the edge of your screen it will bounce back to the middle. But combat/movement works perfectly this way.

EDIT: MULTIPLAYER FIX
Nireco said:
For multiplayer you need to change use_secure_connection in rgl_config.txt from 1 to 0. (".wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Application\ Data/Mount\&Blade\ Warband/rgl_config.txt" or use slow way "find ~ -iname rgl_config.txt")

If you hit the issue that it won't manage to load fonts when entering multiplayer, make quick visit to tutorial first.
I can confirm that this works!

Happy Warbanding!

N.B.: I will update this topic upon WB's actual release and/or any major breakthroughs/workarounds/fixes, unless I forget/die in a fire/etc

For multiplayer you need to change use_secure_connection in rgl_config.txt from 1 to 0. (".wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Application\ Data/Mount\&Blade\ Warband/rgl_config.txt" or use slow way "find ~ -iname rgl_config.txt")

If you hit the issue that it won't manage to load fonts when entering multiplayer, make quick visit to tutorial first.

I've been playing warband on linux since 0.580, every version has worked pretty much as well as it seemed to for the windows users.
  • The mouse fix is still needed, but I'm pretty sure installing windows DirectX is not necessarily required, as I'm currently only using an override for dinput (the mouse patch). The fix I'm using doesn't need WINEFORCEMOUSEWARP, I just put a patched dinput.dll in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/, run winecfg and add a library override "dinput (native, builtin). "diff" says my dll is not the same as the linked one, probably I compiled it with the patch myself a while ago (I think it was the shorter one); so people should probably just use your solution or alternatively dig into the issue for themselves starting here.
  • The server issue only appeared just after the christmas version for some reason, and I can confirm the fix.
  • The sound works fine for me using ALSA, I don't have OSS or ESD installed; though it didn't work at all only with 0.7 and 0.701, and I'm not sure what I did to fix it in the end - it might have been "use_winmm_audio = 1" in rgl_config.txt, worth a try if you have problems.
  • I've never seen "border static" or "strangely glowing helmets"; however, in every version at random times any heraldic textures like the ally bubbles and shields can either appear corrupted by stripes, or using some other texture like food or wood ones; sometimes people can get the wrong heraldry which is a bit annoying.
The first link seems a bit outdated; if you have wine installed I'd just try run the warband installer with wine and then use the shortcuts it installs to the desktop or menu as they work fine for me, as well as the setup and options screens; the mouse fix is the only thing you really need.

Actions I needed to fresh wine:
  • Copy d3dx9_36.dll to system32
  • Download hacked dinput.dll.so and create script for it
  • Change use_secure_connection from 1 to 0
  • Change use_winmm_audio from 0 to 1 (apparently needed when using alsa)
  • Make quick visit to tutorial after the game is launched

Didn't know that winmm_audio earlier, thanks Vornne.

Example of the static:
mnbwb_static.png

Example of high HDR (I guess this is what was meant with glowing helmets):
mnbwb_hdr.png

Example of broken fonts:
mnbwb_font.png

And of course these are just personal experiences. I use gentoo 2.6.31r6 and wine 1.1.38

That static is exactly what I'm talking about. As for the glowing thing, that looks like what I'm talking about, except I don't see nearly that much of it. It's just certain armors and weapons (just said helmets as an example) from certain angles, for me.

Ahh ok, I have that corruption as well; I thought you meant the next full screen splash. The pink colour looks the same as I remember another windows game used to represent transparency; so I don't think it's a symptom of anything major, just some old unsupported by wine alpha method on that image. HDR and depth effects are a bit buggy, but I have them off and probably wouldn't use them anyway, so I didn't get what you meant at the time about glowing helmets.

I've never seen the font bug before, must just affect some setups.

Edit: for those using the latest wine versions, 1.38 to 1.40 have all had problems with the warband shaders from what I can tell; I'm currently sticking with 1.37. All previous versions worked fine, in my recollection.

i think i'll find a way to run it
when i will i let you know
though first, will it work better? cause linux uses less resources.

If you have any problems feel free to ask.

Only problem I have is shaders making everyone black when using dx9, but windows users have that too.

I don't think it will work any better as it needs to execute windows binary, but I don't have any sure knowledge about that.

I have the game running, pretty much smooth, except the sound keeps crackling from time to time.
With ALSA the sound does not work and the game runs extremely slow (mouse over menu items takes a couple of seconds to highlight) I use OSS with winmm sound setting now which seems to work the best, weird thing is with other games OSS doesn't work at all.

Multiplayer runs very smooth. :smile:

I ordered the game and downloaded trial while waiting (cannot wait). The game is definitely playable after sound and mouse fix. It's not slower nor faster than M&B.

BUT

I've got one irritating issue. The same was with m&b. Textures of shields and armor depicting heraldic show some random weird parts of some texture files. Textures work for normal shields - wooden, metal, belonging to members of caravan or bandit packs. The same issue is with people shown in party menu and my character in character menu. Switching dx7 <-> dx9 changes something but doesn't help. The same issue is when I enter Custom Battle menu. Under character selector I see some part of font graphic file.

It's not that big deal  but it's irritating and feels like I'm playing some kind of pre-alpha version...

Anyone else using wine getting the garbled / invisible font bug all the time in single player? I've played the multi player beta for about six months with hardly any trouble, but recently (since beta version 0.800) the font bug others talked about appeared and has become quite frequent, especially in SP. It seems to happen either after talking to some NPC - only part of the time though, haven't figured out a pattern, or sometimes when opening the merchant windows - which has seemed repeatable in the same place after restarting the game, as if a certain font used in an item description is causing the bug, or something like that.

I'm using wine 1.1.41 and nvidia drivers 195.36.15, and when run from the terminal it seems likely that this line of the output occurs each time the font goes bad:
Code:
fixme:d3d:color_fill_fbo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION (0x506) from glClear @ device.c / 5489
I checked when that line was last changed with "git blame" in the source code, and it seems it and the surrounding lines are from 2007... and I don't know much about opengl programming. I searched the net for that error message, but didn't find anything interesting. I installed the warband release in a fresh wine directory with just the mouse fix.

It's annoying that I've been playing M&B and the warband beta for so long now with hardly a problem, and now just before the release a problem is introduced that forces restarting the game every five minutes... :neutral: Any fixes or workarounds would be much appreciated.

diavel: the heraldic shield and indicator bubble texture corruption problem has existed ever since I joined the beta at 0.580, haven't been able to figure out any pattern or likely cause of it; as sometimes everything looks mostly perfect except for a few white lines across the bubbles, other times the players get random heraldry that often changes, and occasionally the shields get random other textures like trade goods...

i have the disapearing fonts when i start travelling, i cant play the game, can i resolve this somehow?

After a lot of testing of various combinations of options, it seems switching to DirectX 7 mode stops the font bug happening. Which means you don't get the nice new warband eye candy, but at least you can play for more than 10 minutes at a time.

I just tested with the latest patch 1.104 and the black textures are gone with directx9, but still the font bug. So back to directx 7 for me.

The recent warband version doesn't have rgl_config.txt file. In multiplayer i'm getting message "unable to connect the server". Any ideas about how to fix it?
About mouse bug, there is another way to fix it - by patching and recompiling wine, but it seems to give same effect (patching dinput).

Levor said:
The recent warband version doesn't have rgl_config.txt file. In multiplayer i'm getting message "unable to connect the server". Any ideas about how to fix it?
It should be here:
/home/username/.wine/drive_c/users/username/Application Data/Mount&Blade Warband/rgl_config.txt

Diomas said:
Levor said:
It should be here:
/home/username/.wine/drive_c/users/username/Application Data/Mount&Blade Warband/rgl_config.txt
yeah i was inattentive, thought that file is in game folder
ty, now it works

It seems that changing on demand texture loading, from configure before starting the game itself, fixes the disappearing fonts. I tried few times and with on demand texture loading they disappeared and without they worked. Did only short tests.

Edit: Seems it didn't fully fix it, but helped somewhat

Back
Top Bottom