Warband in Linux

Users who are viewing this thread

Please forgive the unobservant-ness :oops:. Bit sleep deprived today. I'm pretty sure I even read your post earlier and everything... *sigh*

Anyway, I'll say stuff on Bugzilla, hopefully it'll get sorted.

seems like our most nagging wine problem (mouse warp) could soon be gone in wine 1.3 when the new xorg arrives in the distros.

i've compiled 1.3 with this patch
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6971#c377
and the mouse works flawlessly without the old mousewarp hack (that doesn't work in 1.2 anymore.)

@sdog: that patch (madscientist) didn't work for me. But this one works, tested with wine 1.3.1 on Arch: http://wiki.winehq.org/Bug6971 .
Some guy (Levor) posted the link on the Wine discussion but apparently it's not so obvious into that bloat - and his link is incorrectly written.

I uploaded my rebuilt library, if someone is interested:
- http://smwk10.1fichier.com/dinput.dll.so.tar.gz - lib32
- http://8qhwln.1fichier.com/dinput.dll.so.tar.gz - lib64

Hey there,

I'm having some serious FPS problems running Warband 1.132 on Wine 1.3.5/Ubuntu 10.10. Never experienced that on my old Windows install using the same hardware. As soon as there are more than about 20 characters on screen (well, not directly on-screen, even omitted by other objects) my frame rate drops significantly, reaching near-unplayable levels if it's any more than a guesstimate of 50 (where 500+ man melee pits on Windows still gave me completely fluid gameplay it's turned the game into a slide show on Ubuntu). I've tried turning down all the video options to the bare minimum (no shaders, no particle effects, lowest grass density/texture details etc.), DX7 instead of DX9, installing Warband in a clean Wine prefix, using native DX9 libs and so on, but nothing seems to help.

Any ideas as to what I could do? Joining most multiplayer games is completely pointless now and stuttering single player action isn't exactly my idea of fun.

Thanks in advance,
H

@Herbstleyd: sounds like a video problem to me. Did you previously use a different Ubuntu version then at 10.10 had this problem? That may mean that you have to install again the accelerated video drivers for your graphics card: nvidia or ati (catalyst).
Note that in my observations, Ubuntu often does not apply the required video configuration - the one which you set in /etc/X11/xorg.conf - but it falls back to some default (I think it's in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.default ?) when it encounters some error. So maybe you should check that somehow - use the documentation, forums or IRC for that distribution.

Also, instead of manually doing wine changes, you could use winetricks to install 'd3dx9' and 'allfonts', for example.

Overall, I don't think it's something relating to this game, but your OS configuration - video drivers or Wine -, maybe you check for how other video games behave?

If you have ATI, than nothing will help now. They have only started working on their new wonderful driver with new versions of GL support and so on. Maybe, you want to learn, how it's called, and install it from git/hg unstable.
If you have nvidia, make sure you have the latest proprietary driver.
Also, building wine with optimizations could help (I myself do so). Check gentoo forums for howtos or you can pm me.

Well, the only other game I have on this PC is EVE Online and that works with a solid (limited) frame rate of 60 with all the graphical settings cranked up to the max, no matter how much is going on around me. I am aware of winetricks and have the necessary libs installed. My Nvidia driver is at the most recent version (I made sure of that).

I've tried both the binary packages for Wine 1.2 and 1.3.5 AND building it myself (after all, it's been 2 solid weeks of trying stuff). I can't say what it was like with earlier versions of Ubuntu since I used to play this game on Windows until about 2 weeks ago... seems I'm just out of luck on this one!

My personal experience tells me, that m&b on wine is just slower (a lot). I have intel gma (the drivers are very very good), and m&b runs on windows with more fps. Unfortunately.

I'm afraid that's a bit of an understatement... unless your definition of "more FPS" is "multiples of the FPS". As I said, even hacking & slashing my way through huge melee pits didn't affect my frame rate nearly as much as a few character models standing on a wall do now. On Windows, there was no noticeable difference (as in, negative spikes to below 30-ish FPS) in frame rate in battles with up to 500 combatants.

virus_found said:
If you have ATI, than nothing will help now. They have only started working on their new wonderful driver with new versions of GL support and so on. Maybe, you want to learn, how it's called, and install it from git/hg unstable.
Just letting you know that there are also AMD/ATI proprietary drivers ("catalyst") and M&B and other games work fine with them. They're not so neat like the NVidia ones (some quirks), but still the performance is good. I'm using them on this computer. Indeed the open-source drivers are very promising - and high quality code - while I can use 3D application with them, I could not use them for Wine games and I didn't have the time to find if there are workarounds (errors with shaders and textures).

The open-source drivers you talk about are called, "ati" and "radeonhd" - on Arch Linux for example they are "xf86-video-ati" and "xf86-video-radeonhd", on Ubuntu Linux they're "xserver-xorg-video-ati" and "xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd".
Herbstleyd said:
I'm afraid that's a bit of an understatement... unless your definition of "more FPS" is "multiples of the FPS". As I said, even hacking & slashing my way through huge melee pits didn't affect my frame rate nearly as much as a few character models standing on a wall do now. On Windows, there was no noticeable difference (as in, negative spikes to below 30-ish FPS) in frame rate in battles with up to 500 combatants.
So you seem to know these basic issues about the driver. I don't know what to say :neutral:. With the newer versions of M&B I experienced problems (crashes) on my system: AMD Turion, Linux 64 bits. Enabling "Force Single Threading" in Configure->Advanced when I start the game solved the problem, you might try that as well, even if you have different symptoms.

Oh and there are these options for DirectX I used when I installed wine (running regedit), in HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Wine -> Direct3D (create Direct3D if it doesn't exist):
- string: DirectDrawRenderer value: opengl
- string: Nonpower2Mode value: repack
- string: OffscreenRenderingMode value: fbo
- string: RenderTargetLockMode value: auto
- string: UseGLSL value: readtex
- string: VideoMemorySize value: <memory size of your graphic card>

Dilettante said:
The open-source drivers you talk about are called, "ati" and "radeonhd" - on Arch Linux for example they are "xf86-video-ati" and "xf86-video-radeonhd", on Ubuntu Linux they're "xserver-xorg-video-ati" and "xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd".
I wasn't talking about package names :smile: I googled it, and it's new wonderful thing for ati is called Gallium3D. Check it out, if you are interested, what os ati drivers are going to become in the future.
Actually, I don't particularly understand, what I am talking about.

Dilettante said:
Oh and there are these options for DirectX I used when I installed wine (running regedit), in HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Wine -> Direct3D (create Direct3D if it doesn't exist):
- string: DirectDrawRenderer value: opengl
- string: Nonpower2Mode value: repack
- string: OffscreenRenderingMode value: fbo
- string: RenderTargetLockMode value: auto
- string: UseGLSL value: readtex
- string: VideoMemorySize value: <memory size of your graphic card>

I'd tried fiddling with my Direct3D reg key before, but adding a few extra lines (Nonpower2Mode, RenderTargetLockMode and UseGLSL) in combination with increasing the render_buffer_size to 500 make the game perfectly playable (though not quite as fluid as its native Windows counterpart), even with the maximum standard battle size of 150. You're my hero!

For future reference, my Direct3D key now looks as follows:
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]

"DirectDrawRenderer"="opengl"

"MaxFragmentUniforms"="1024"

"MaxVaryings"="52"

"MaxVertexUniforms"="1024"

"Nonpower2Mode"="repack"

"OffscreenRenderingMode"="fbo"

"PixelShaderMode"="enabled"

"RenderTargetLockMode"="auto"

"UseGLSL"="readtex"

"VertexShaderMode"="hardware"

"VideoMemorySize"="768"

Yay!

virus_found said:
I wasn't talking about package names :smile: I googled it, and it's new wonderful thing for ati is called Gallium3D. Check it out, if you are interested, what os ati drivers are going to become in the future.
Actually, I don't particularly understand, what I am talking about.
:lol: Don't worry, I can't make big difference between these... uh *stuff* (back-ends, or something - mesa, gallium), too, I just know that Gallium is a clean "rewrite" of these things. Good to know that there are already gallium-enabled ati drivers for my distro, I'm gonna try them out.

Herbstleyd said:
For future reference, my Direct3D key now looks as follows:
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]

"DirectDrawRenderer"="opengl"

"MaxFragmentUniforms"="1024"

"MaxVaryings"="52"

"MaxVertexUniforms"="1024"

"Nonpower2Mode"="repack"

"OffscreenRenderingMode"="fbo"

"PixelShaderMode"="enabled"

"RenderTargetLockMode"="auto"

"UseGLSL"="readtex"

"VertexShaderMode"="hardware"

"VideoMemorySize"="768"
Great, thanks for sharing!

All of my attempts at getting sound to work have so far resulted in failure.

Notes:
I have the Steam version of Mount and Blade: Warband.
The game works near-perfect (except for the mouse bug) when I completely disable sound from within wine.
If Alsa sound is enabled, the launcher crashes immediately when I click on either play or configure.
My Wine version is 1.3.8
My distro is (K)Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick 64-bit
My video card is an Nvidia 9600 GT
EDIT: Pulseaudio is completely uninstalled.
Other games work perfectly with alsa sound on my computer.  Examples: Audiosurf, Deus Ex, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Hitman: Blood Money, Team Fortress 2.

What I have tried:
"use_winmm_audio = 1" in rgl_config.txt as recommended in this thread (no difference)
Disabling mmdevapi in winecfg as recommended on Wine's web site (no difference)
Using oss or esd (Not available in latest Ubuntu as far as I can tell)
EDIT: Alsa-oss will not work because I'm using 64-bit and no 32-bit compatible version is available.
Using Jack (I can't get it to cooperate with Wine)
Switching Wine to different windows versions (No difference with XP and 7, Steam refuses to start with 9:cool:

Does anyone have any other ideas, or do I have no choice but to play without sound?

iLag said:
Using oss or esd (Not available in latest Ubuntu as far as I can tell)
To use OSS, I think you should install alsa-oss (a compatibility layer or something) it might work, I recall it did the trick for me when I had Wine sound problems on other distros.

Anyway, it's not a real solution. I have the feeling that it's because of pulseaudio.

Alsa-oss won't work because I'm on 64-bit and no 32-bit compatibility libs for it are available on Ubuntu.  Pulseaudio is also completely uninstalled, so that isn't the problem either.

I have ubuntu 10.04, preinstalled version of wine and can't get mb warband 1.132 to work. It just crashes after logo videos. In startup menu when I click configure, I can only select language and hide blood (I don't have tabs at all). What can I do?

It would be extremely helpful if you made a how-to (for dummies :smile:, please. It may help some lost souls out there like myself.

I tried:
- I installed directx redistributable (copied all dlls to system folder)
- I have sound set to ALSA and emulation (not hardware support)
- I suppose that's it...

penguinlover said:
I have ubuntu 10.04, preinstalled version of wine and can't get mb warband 1.132 to work. It just crashes after logo videos. In startup menu when I click configure, I can only select language and hide blood (I don't have tabs at all). What can I do?
Hmm interesting, now I noticed that the configuration tabs vanished. No idea whether it's a bug in M&B or Wine. Anyway, if you'd like to try the option "Force Single Threading" - the one that I use to avoid crashes -, just add/edit this option into the file "/home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/users/<username>/My Documents/Mount&Blade Warband/rgl_config.txt":
Code:
force_single_threading = 1

I am running Warband on Steam in Linux Mint 10 with no issues. I am using the Nvidia drivers.

I am running the latest wine pulled from git, with the latest Xinput2 patch from http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6971#c428 applied.

The game runs perfectly in a single monitor setup. When dealing with multiple monitors, there is a resolution issue as detailed in http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25473, but you can work around it by disabling your second monitor before playing.

I have no issues with sounds or any graphical problems. The game is running perfectly for me, as well as it does on Windows.

Back
Top Bottom