Warband 1.104: FPS drops triggered by CPU Use Overload on massive melees

Users who are viewing this thread

ragamer

Veteran
VERSION: STEAM Warband 1.104

COMBAT/PERFORMANCE BUG

This one is hard to explain... Randomly (See below) some battles "stutter" and I experience massive FPS drops (up to 3 seconds total freezes) ONLY when a lot of troops are engaged together into massive melees. After the fight rages this "freezes" become less common and less abrupt (as troops die or disperse).

Additional Comments:

- Randomness. I just say this as default, because it's not a time-dependant degradation (as some ppl claims about a "fabled" memory leak)... It can happen in 2 battles in a row, or never in a game session or intermitently during one. There are battles with this melees that are smooth and others that trigger this BUT, I still haven't gone on the detailed testing to check WHICH units are involved to see if there is a correlation, that's why I call this "random" for now. I will update this post if I find a pattern.

- To add to the above... I have seen this freezes with 70 men battles on a flat desert battleground and after this having a perfectly smooth multiround battle of 600 vs 200 on a forest with hills. I just want to be clear enough that it doesn't seem to be JUST something linked to the number of polygons of the scene.

- It ONLY happens for as long as there is a significant ammount of troops in a reduced space fighting together. I don't have a problem if those same participants are spread (but visible on my screen) engaging themselves on small groups (Sieges, for example, never freeze for me, as the number of units engaged on melee is very small).

- In my experience as programmer this behaviour shows the typical CPU overload of a geometricaly growing process. As if some combat resolution process is growing geometrically with the number of nearby active fighters. Checking WB additions I immediatly think on the passive shield... But AFAIK this should be ignored during melee action.

Back
Top Bottom