War with Iran an increasing possibility

Users who are viewing this thread

I must say i have never understood how some can say the Iraq law was unlawful, wrong and neive maybe and perhaps a slight over reaction by the coalition of nations that went to war. but i think it may have been under some good intentions to which it was initiated. For one Saddam Hussain was opening his doors as a harbour area for terrorist groups endangering thousands perhaps millions of innocent lifes, two he was persacuting and killing his own people due to which sect of Islam they belonged to he was placing the smaller majority of his nation in power and killing and murduring the majority he was very much disliked by the majority of his people, although what turned them in turn against the peace keeping force was the fact we did not leave after Saddam was captured, at first we were the libertaors but soon we became the occpation force due to silly mistakes and lake of fast movement after the cease of military action (other than what began as very minor counter insurgancy) . also he caused trouble in the middle east with his constant wars against his neibours. it was in my view the right cause to remove him for the tyrant he was and i belive the reason given for the search for WMD was just a simple mistake, that lack of intelligance prior to action did not show he had ceased his WMD program ( but i do belive when the time was right he would have began it again)

Not really, Saddam had nothing to do with Terrorism, he was a secular Governor.
Most of the 'true' terroist groups in Iraq that joined in the latter stages were the shia's funded by Iran.
And now thanks to us, we have lost one country that would have been useful in subduing Iran. 

The Iraq war was not just, just one son's will for revenge for the failures of his father.

All British lives lost in the conflict were in vain, dying for an ignoble cause. May Americans that supported the war but were too cowardly to participate fill that loss ten times over.

You are an embarrasment to your country for supporting the uneccesary sacrifice of our countrymen!

kenski1 said:
I must say i have never understood how some can say the Iraq law was unlawful

Look up the links I provided in my posts... they clearly spell out how some can say that, if you're patient enough to read through them in conjunciton with my posts.

Kobrag said:

:???: Non sequitur!
Being fanatic/religious/secular is not a direct cause for terrorism, nor an direct impediment thereto, nor a requirement, nor an explanation...
Saddam was without fail guilty of crimes against humanity, which does make him a terrorist - the simplest way to define terrorism is: inflicting casualties upon a civilian population in order to manipulate that population's politics. When Sadam didn't feel like an uprising, he gassed his own people, thus inflicting casualties on a civilian population in order to manipulate it's politics. When he thought the demographic dominance of Kurds and other minorities in certain regions could pose a political threat, he ordered their extermination, thus inflicting casualties on a civilian population in order to manipulate it's politics.
See what I did there? :wink:

Now back to Iran, :cool: in terms of claims of terrorism and crimes against humanity, Iran has given all the ammo needed to support a just war argument on this basis back in 2009. Not only did it suppress nationwide peaceful political protest by force, but it also stoked the ever-growing flames of Iranian Azeri nationalism (Mir-Hossein Mousavi is Azeri, by the way) - something that may pan out as did the Kurdish question at some point in the future.

Kobrag said:
Most of the 'true' terroist groups in Iraq that joined in the latter stages were the shia's funded by Iran.
And now thanks to us, we have lost one country that would have been useful in subduing Iran. 

The Iraq war was not just, just one son's will for revenge for the failures of his father.

All British lives lost in the conflict were in vain, dying for an ignoble cause. May Americans that supported the war but were too cowardly to participate fill that loss ten times over.

You are an embarrasment to your country for supporting the uneccesary sacrifice of our countrymen!

I value their sacrifice greatly and I will not belive for a moment  their heroric sacrifces were in vain so dont judge my complete backing of our troops, there was cause to the war even if the leaders of nations gave the wrong reason. (But im happy you agree with him as being a tyrant as you didnt contradict that  :smile: .)

Iraq under Saddam Hussain always was a great threat to its its own people who on the majority lived in fear of him, and he was a threat to millions of innocent lifes.

But back to topic I havent really heard anything about Iran in the BBC news, so im not sure whether the threat people seem to see them as and the escalation of events is just over reaction by you yanks or whether there is a real threat to yourselfs and maybe us(we seem to be targated more now dont know why but there alot more foiled terrorist attacks happening than before). (but im not fully updated on whats going on between Iran and the United States)

Kobe, you are mistaken. Saddam's Iraq had many ties to international terrorism befor the conflict (Army of Mohammad, Islamic Jihad, both ** affiliates even then, to name two) . Simply Google 'Terrorism Funded by Saddam'. There are more than enough sources. A particularly well written one is found here: http://husseinandterror.com/

And again, some can say the Iraq war was lawful and neccessary. A particular position, however strongly held, doesn't make something legal or illegal, or right or wrong. Bottom line, the Iraq conflict has not been found illegal. By any authority empowered to judge it.

Kobe, you left some harsh words. I'd agree that it was a US endeavor, supported by your government (as well as many others, 25 I think). The US committed 150k troops'ish, while Britian committed about 50k, and everyone else TOTAL about 10k. Ninety plus percent of the coalition casualties were US forces. And many anericans did support the conflict, at least half of the voting population I'd estimate, at the time. And governments are entrusted by the voting citizens to make the st decisions for their country, or get voted out the next go round. Wasn't the Brit PM re-elected AFTER the war? So it would seem it wasn't such a hot button for the citizens there.

I understand passion against the war, and any war. But a persons position, opinion, belief that it's wrong shouldn't be a vehicle to slap down someones disagreement with it. I'll be right up front with it (although you already have read this, more or less, in other threads): Saddam' government was an evil blight on the world, the world commonly believed that Saddam shouldn't be protected, and the United States for reasons far more important that revenge, successfully led the effort to remove Saddam's destabilizing government from power, lawfully.

I see a headline today that the US administration has determined how it's gonna beat down Iran, by aggressively poking the nuclear issue http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/world/middleeast/white-house-says-data-shows-iran-push-on-nuclear-arms.html?_r=1&hp

I suppose if it demonizes Iran enough, the world won't react if a proxy (Isreal) destroys the two or three nuclear refinement facilities. maw

maw said:
I understand passion against the war, and any war. But a persons position, opinion, belief that it's wrong shouldn't be a vehicle to slap down someones disagreement with it. I'll be right up front with it (although you already have read this, more or less, in other threads): Saddam' government was an evil blight on the world, the world commonly believed that Saddam shouldn't be protected, and the United States for reasons far more important that revenge, successfully led the effort to remove Saddam's destabilizing government from power, lawfully.
:???:
I must insist, by your own logic, that it was certainly not lawful by the same token for your thinking that it was not unlawful, because
maw said:
A particular position, however strongly held, doesn't make something legal or illegal, or right or wrong. Bottom line, the Iraq conflict has not been found legal or illegal (minor but logical correction). By any authority empowered to judge it.
So let's just agree that the US was free to do it, because freedom lies in the absence of the law. :wink:

maw said:
I suppose if it demonizes Iran enough, the world won't react if a proxy (Isreal) destroys the two or three nuclear refinement facilities.
"The world" is not preventing Israel from doing this as we speak, only the Obama administration is (Netanyahu has pretty much asked permission to do something like this in subtle diplomatic form when he visited the US). And this might be a good thing because frankly, my projection models for an Israeli-Iranian conflict look bad for Israel unless Israel 1) avoids escalation (something Israel sucks at, with all due respect to their general diplomatic and military capabilities; take Lebanon and Gaza as examples); 2) uses nuclear weapons :twisted: (which sucks for everyone, really); or 3) has the US actively participate as an ally. (See for example relative army sizes here).

Let's not forget Iran is not Iraq, nor is Iran the young country of the early 80's that was losing territory to Iraq in the Iran-Iraq War. Just look at the strengths of Iran and Iraq by the end of the First Gulf War, here (in the sidebar), and compare to the strengths of the troops deployed in the Iraq war, here (also in the sidebar), and tell me how Israel would muster nearly 1,000,000 troops - which Iran can do in the blink of an eye? There's also the question of technology - Iran has far more and slightly better planes than Iraq (gaining aerial superiority would certainly not be easy even with cutting-edge fighters), better/more AA batteries, and instead of SCUDs - which Iraq was hardly able to use properly in the Iraq War, they have cruise missiles and perhaps even IRBMs... now granted, these are not on par with Israeli technology, but the technology gap would be smaller than it was between Coallition Forces and Iraq, and the 3:4 troop ratio that Coalition Forces enjoyed in Iraq would be at best 2:5 in the case of Israel facing Iran.

IMHO, the best bet for getting rid of the Iranian hotheads would be to wager on their revolutionary movements (a missed opportunity in 2009) by involving intelligence agencies, aiding revolutionaries, and interdicting the use of violence against the population. In this scenario, torn from the inside, Iran's military capabilities will be diminished by the internal chaos, especially its ability to field so many troops.

Edit:
Failing that, let Russia or China deal with them, but it won't be pretty :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Good points, Seth. I just can't agree about the the same token of lawful and unlawful. Mostly because the idea that someone or entity was free to do something. If something is allowable, and not restricted, even if not directly addressed by authority, it is within the law, and so is lawful. Laws don't so much allow things as much as restrict things - even laws that allow you to do something specific, by the writing of the law, limits you to doing that specific thing as lawful.

It is this: the Iraq war was not judged by any empowered authority as unlawful, and stands as lawful until otherwise determined by an empowered authority. The argument can very well be you are not a criminal until convicted, or a law breaker until you are caught - but there are enough smart lawyers in the world, enough governments that dislike the United States that if the Iraq action had been unlawful, it would have been pursued as such. It wasn't in the United Nations, the Hauge, ICC, or in any national jurisdiction as far as I am aware.

'The World' through opinion does restrict nations from acting. If a nation's leaders, for instance, believed that they could do something without facing retaliation, they limit themselves fromaction. If the US believed it would've faced enough condemnation, or punishment through sanctions, or even national blockades (such as oil from Muslim nations) it would not have acted against Iraq; Isreal, also, does things with an eye to its relations not only with their western 'friends' but with respect to their sleeping local 'enemies'.

Nose-to-nose Isreal would take down several of its neighbors, may even two or three at once. But it couldn't take down ten nations, with a world embargo and maybe intervention. So a full out conflict with Iran wouldn't be viable. If the US starts a full out in your grill conflict with Iran, it would face a lot of international condemnation, and at our present economic and political situation, wouldn't be vible. However, if Isreal conducts a limited strike against announced targets with the US shadow keeping a lid on any expansion, it would be a different story.

Its looking more like Iran is going to be hammered politically for now. If nothing further aggravates the situation. Now would be the time for a false flag op to try to piss off both nations,and escalate. The more I read about the so-called assasination attempt, the less I believe it was real. The whole thing was clownish, and exaggerated at the start. I just can't fathom the purpose of the assasination, nor can I understand why our administration is reponding so heavy handed on it. maw

Given rioting/protests depending where in Europe or the U.S. etc a war would certainly be a way with which to take attention away from domestic issues.

Anyway latest articles in terms of Iran/US relations.

http://www.foreignpolicyi.org/content/it%E2%80%99s-time-united-states-speak-iran-language-it-understands-force-says-fpi-director-william-kristol

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/world/middleeast/white-house-says-data-shows-iran-push-on-nuclear-arms.html?_r=2&hp

It depends how demonized the Iranian's become in order to make it seem a pressing issue.
Even if Iran may not do anything stupid enough over the next few days/weeks/months/years, all options are on the table and I am guessing so are false flag operations if leaders require a quick engineering of consent and solidarity on the issue.

Its been done before and admitted to on a few occasions.

rejenorst said:
It depends how demonized the Iranian's become in order to make it seem a pressing issue.
Even if Iran may not do anything stupid enough over the next few days/weeks/months/years, all options are on the table and I am guessing so are false flag operations if leaders require a quick engineering of consent and solidarity on the issue.

Its been done before and admitted to on a few occasions.

Regardless of whether or not this was truly an Iranian operation in the least this will result in tougher UN action against Iran.  The issue of going to war with Iran however will really be up to Saudi Arabia.  Plenty of media outlets are hyping this saying that we should go to war but in reality we don't have justification because America itself was not the target.

If the Saudi's decide to take military action however it is certain that the international community will back them and it will end up being a war (though likely a short one with the amount of international pressure that seems to be building against Iran).

And just because I saw it brought up earlier in this thread regarding foreign oil, yes a war in Iran would affect fuel prices, but we'd have to wipe out every last well in the country to significantly affect prices, most US oil imports are from Canada and Mexico, I'm not positive on the exact percentage but under 40% of our oil comes from sources not in North America, and a good portion of that 40% is from South American countries like Venezuela.

Iran is a superpower man, when they launch a nuclear warhead from a trebuchet at California it is going to be devastating.

Sir Saladin said:
Iran is a superpower man, when they launch a nuclear warhead from a trebuchet at California it is going to be devastating.
:lol::lol::lol:

They'd sooner aim it at Washington DC though (~1000 miles closer than Los Angeles form Tehran).

Nice. I laughed. Funny, except when you find Iran has missiles that can reach halfway into France. Luckily, thats still about 6,000 miles shy of Washington DC.

If I was Iran and wanted to go out with a bang against the Great Satan, I'd hammer every western target I could hit, disrupt nations internally with terrorism and sabotage, and melt Isreal. I'd do it with all my conventional, bio, chem, and nuke at my disposal. I might not survive, but I'd be remembered for as long as there was recorded history. And as a bonus, it might usher in the 13th Madhi.

Remember, not everyone in the world wants to live forever, or even for now. Some are thinking the next life is way more important, and act accordingly. maw

Thought this might be of interest to those of us who wish to speculate.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/28/israeli-prisoner-swap-may-be-prelude-attack-iran/

rejenorst said:
Thought this might be of interest to those of us who wish to speculate.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/28/israeli-prisoner-swap-may-be-prelude-attack-iran/

Pretty bad journalism - a mish mash of vaguely related facts and reports from international press items brought forcibly together in prose by the folks at the Washington Times.

But the overall gist of it is right. Netanyahu wants it, but can't have it under current diplomatic circumstances.

Isn't the Washington Times the ultra-conservative newspaper owned by Moonies?

Well I am surprised, originally I thought they agreed to 400 prisoner exchange and now I see its up to 1000. 1000 for 1 man seems pretty... unusual for Israel's mostly tight fisted dealings with what they would term terrorists. I guess the internal problems in Israel may have contributed largely. However the article is just that; pure speculation.

Mage246 said:

Moonies? Their all insane in my view.

Mage246 said:

no, in fact, its very liberal, from an american point of view that is, not sure where you are.

Al Jeezera article

It is a possibility. Especially with Obama recent announcement about Iraq:

Iraq stuff

Do i think it will happen within the next 5 years? Probably not. Do i think it will happen eventually? Of course i do. Every generation has its war, If its not Iraq it will be Pakistan or Vietnam or whatever country looks at us wrong.

I think that the popular opinion that Iran's full-of-evil-warmongering brown people is kinda dumb.

Though not relevant, Thought this was interesting.

Interesting stuff.

Edit: I realize that the my link above isn't clear:

[quote author=Central Intelligence Agency on Irans military]
Military service age and obligation:
Field info displayed for all countries in alpha order.
19 years of age for compulsory military service; 16 years of age for volunteers; 17 years of age for Law Enforcement Forces; 15 years of age for Basij Forces (Popular Mobilization Army); conscript military service obligation - 18 months; women exempt from military service (200:cool:
[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom