War Thunder, Update 1.97: Swedish Tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Italian tank tree:
it_tank_tree_eng_ab9751a89e0502a01e9f42e7988f718b.jpg
No trace of Hungarian tanks...

I have a feeling these guys are going to suck to play, at least in the low tiers. Maybe not as much as the suicide-inducing French tanks, but I still don't see anything that really impresses me that'll be in the first couple ranks. The Semovente TDs might be decent, but apart from them, what is there? There aren't even any copy-paste Pz. IVs, which is both good and bad.

Some of those early tanks sound really fun tbh, like the L3/33 CC, which is ridiculously low and can actually hide in higher grass really well. And many of the early vehicles are also equipped with a 20mm auto cannon with hvap rounds, and since the Panzer IIs perform really well with a similar weapon system, I see no problems there (the AS42 (small AA car) seems to even have a stabilized gun, so that could be lots of fun).

I stopped playing WT about a year ago.

...so, supersonic aircraft and early homing missiles? Huh...does the game have proper trans/supersonic behaviour? And I wonder how will they deal with missiles...

Oh well, keep me posted please?

3 vehicles are no longer available in the tech trees due to Gaijin's new way of determining a vehicle's pen values making them absolutely worthless, even by reserve vehicle standards.

https://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/933

https://warthunder.com/en/news/6010-development-improved-calculation-of-armour-penetration-in-the-game-en

I don't remember what the Ha-Go is/was like, it's been so long since I played Japanese tanks. The French rank 1 tanks made for the most horrible rank 1 grind I've ever played in WT, so anything Gaijin does to make that better ought to help.

Also, for any lovers of French planes here (so basically me and Captured Joe), apparently the Bloch MB.152 is in WT after all. It was released back around Christmastime as a reward for one of those stupid holiday events. ****. Hopefully another variant will be added to the regular tech tree someday.

Councilor Crassius Curio said:
Some of those early tanks sound really fun tbh, like the L3/33 CC, which is ridiculously low and can actually hide in higher grass really well. And many of the early vehicles are also equipped with a 20mm auto cannon with hvap rounds, and since the Panzer IIs perform really well with a similar weapon system, I see no problems there (the AS42 (small AA car) seems to even have a stabilized gun, so that could be lots of fun).
The L3/33 would be more fun if it could fire the German 20mm rounds. As it is, you can't reliably penetrate anything with it and 20mm is so small that you're unlikely to score one- or even two-shot kills. The HVAP German rounds will punch clean holes in tanks of that tier very reliably, and the high fire rate means you can Swiss cheese anything you find very quickly. The first Italian armored car and the first AA platform both get German 20mm magazines, so they can be quite deadly.

In unrelated news, and a bit old at that, Gaijin mentioned near the end of last year that they're considering removing the Panther II and 10.5cm Tiger II because they want to move away from blueprint tanks. I'm not sure what they would replace them with. Germany is already pretty weak from 6.3 to 7.3 because post-war tanks start coming into play for the other factions at that BR, so if Germany gets some East/West German imported tanks from Russia/USA respectively then it would make them more competitive at that BR but would make it more boring as well, IMO. Sim battles would also be a cluster**** of teamkills. :lol:

Orion said:
In unrelated news, and a bit old at that, Gaijin mentioned near the end of last year that they're considering removing the Panther II and 10.5cm Tiger II because they want to move away from blueprint tanks. I'm not sure what they would replace them with.
How about the Hungarian TAS? At least it was (mostly) built! :razz:

IMO they could simply move the Maus down to where the 10.5cm Tiger II is, or to 7.3. All of the Russian 7.3 tanks can penetrate it. The IS-3 has the most trouble, but can penetrate it at 1km broadside to the hull. The BMP-1 can shoot straight through the turret with its cannon. :lol: American Pattons can easily punch holes in it, even through the lower glacis. British tanks can all punch through it at rank V.  Same for the French. It would suck to be uptiered against it in a 6.3, but it sucks to be uptiered in anything. What's worse from a gameplay perspective is to feel like every match is an uptier even when it's not, and currently that's where the Maus sits with a 7.7 BR.

Side note, the pen changes make the Ostwind worse at fighting tanks than the Wirbelwind now. :roll: Sadly, the same applies to the Coelian.

"The pilot has been injured, piloting capabilities have been reduced." Or something like that. This must be a new feature? A few days ago I got back into WT for the first time in a while, and I've had this happen several times. I'll be in a dogfight, get hit, get this message, and suddenly my plane will go from performing normally to flying like a ****ing brick. As in, I won't be dead (it's not a pilot kill) yet, but I may as well be because my plane will be performing so poorly that it's practically useless in combat. Why couldn't they just stick to the old mechanic of having the pilot get instantly knocked out if he's hit too much? At least that way you had full performance from your plane up until the moment you died, and you could jump straight into a new plane after it happened. I know this "injury" mechanic could be compared to how your plane performs worse after taking significant damage, but the thing is, even with significant damage, (even if you're missing all the control surfaces on one wing, say), there's either nothing you can do and you're going down, or there's often a way you can still fight. Now, when my pilot gets injured, I'm still alive, but I feel useless: it's like I'm flying through ****ing molasses. I may as well just bail out and respawn...

It's possible still to make a run for it & land. I think the intention of the feature was to make crash landings and limping back to base more frequent, though people are usually so bloodthirsty that they'll follow you into the ground to score a kill.

Nursing a damaged plane to a safe landing is one of the best parts of IL-2 Sturmovik. But, I can see why it'd be annoying as hell in War Thunder.

IMO an injured pilot mechanic is not a bad idea, but the way it's implemented currently is kinda bad. You feel like the pilots arm was shot of and he has to move the control stick with his nose or smth, because the only thing that changes is that your plane turns significantly worse. I think it would be much better to have the pilot be more affected by g-forces instead, that would also limit your abilities in an intense turnfight without making it so annoying to fly in general.

Back
Top Bottom