War Party, a game i've been making

Users who are viewing this thread

Harry_

Knight
I feel a bit ashamed plugging my own game here, but a lot of the setting is MnB inspired (in fact even the name of the game probably sprung to mind from MnB) and i suppose this setting appeals to a lot of dudes here.

I've been making this on my own for about a week and two days now.
the main page is here if anyone wants to follow it, i will probably update there more frequently than here

I mentioned this in the screenshot thread and a couple of dudes are interested in testing it out. I havent responded to you guys yet but if you're reading this, i will send you a build no problem.

Anyway i should explain more about the gameplay.
The basic core is a tactical puzzle wargame. That sounds like a weird thing but it makes sense if you play it.
It's played a lot like a board game, on a grid, turn based, with simple rules and a focus on planning each move ahead to maximise your chance of survival or victory.

fight2.gif

The rules can be summarised as:
the board is populated with two armies, each army consists of archers, spearmen, and horses
each turn, both armies advance towards one another
when units meet, they fight
archers beat spearmen, spearmen beat cavalry, and cavalry beat archers
if two units of the same type meet up, they "lock up" in a nonconclusive skirmish. They need to be relieved by friendly units.
Each turn you can move two of your units to the left or the right by one square's distance.

If it wasn't already obvious, you need to focus on maintaining strength across your whole line. If you get a spearhead through the enemy ranks you will most likely hit a stalemate and be unable to relieve him because he has enemy units to his left and right.

You win by either eliminating all the enemy soldiers, or "capturing" all 6 segments of his castle at the end of the board behind his men.
Your own equivalent of "castle" while you're out on campaign is your baggage and support troops. You can consider these like your surgery skill in MnB. The more baggage units are wiped out, the less of your casualties are recovered after the battle.

Aside from that, each of these puzzle-fights is tied together by an overland map with randomised terrain tiles and randomised placement of settlements. Each settlement will present you with an event. Usually the events involve fighting but you can also conduct various trades.
3.gif

Honorable actions and winning battles give you points. The points are called "glory."
You continue advancing across the map until you are wiped out, and you play for a high score.

It will be a "selling" game when it's ready, the price point i'm considering is $2 and giving it away to a bunch of people anyway.

Anyway, that's what i've been working on the past week and a bit. There's also some other projects i've had going since i lowered my activity on TW forum but i wont say anything about those yet.

That looks adorable! I really like the rock-paper-scissors style to the combat, though I think flanking an enemy should have some sort of advantage. It's definitely looking to be worth $2 though. :grin:

This looks lovely. I'll definitely check it out for Android, I don't play many games much anymore but I could use something to play on the long journeys to and from University. Nice job with the art style so far, it makes me feel young(-er) again :razz:

there's a cheap n' nasty demo of the puzzle/combat aspect of the game now, up for download.
I'd love for you to give it a try, and tell me what you think either here or on indieDB or wherever you feel like.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/war-party/downloads

Good bit of fun, that.

I couldn't really tell what the goal was, but I assume that'll be better explained later. Basically I couldn't figure out if the goal was to kill the enemy or to smash their wall.

Docm30 said:
Good bit of fun, that.

I couldn't really tell what the goal was, but I assume that'll be better explained later. Basically I couldn't figure out if the goal was to kill the enemy or to smash their wall.
both. Smashing the wall is better cause it ends the fight sooner.
Protecting your own camp is important too because thats where your "surgeons" are. That doesnt really matter in isolated battles though, itll be more of a thing when you have a persistent number of dudes on campaign.

i will have to work out some kind of tutorial, but how that'll work i'm not sure yet.

I actually just got a Droid HTC a couple of days ago and so far... all the games I've tried are ****.

Good luck with this, I'm excited for a game I can stand to play for more than a few minutes. Please let us know when it's possible to give you money.

A question though, will this game have any advertisements in it?

Back
Top Bottom